“Perhaps an off night”

Sotto Cortona
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 18 June 2012

This is mainly a pizzeria. The night we were there fresh fish was off the menu. It was a Friday. The alternative was deep fried frozen calamari. It was acceptable. The pizzas were under flavoured. No fresh buffalo mozzarella for one particular type of pizza. Three of us had the plain margherita pizza. My quatro stsgione was more like a mezza stsgione. Little by way of what this type of pizza usually contains. No white wine frizzante. Cheap meal all in all, but still short of what we expected.

There are newer reviews for Sotto Cortona

Reviewed 6 June 2012

Eat drink and enjoy it as long as possible. You will hardly find such a place here. Amazing view and food is delicious.

Reviewed 26 May 2012

The best gelato I had in Italy was at the Snoopy Gelateria. The fresh ricotta gelato and the pistachio gelato were smooth and creamy. I returned the next day for a second try of the fresh ricotta. Yummy!

Reviewed 5 January 2012

We went to Sotta Cortona as a group (tour) greeted by the owner Gildo Russo. Very relaxing atmosphere with it's wood burning stove as you enter. Were served a variety of freshly made authenic Tuscany cuisine. Loved the thin crust pizza and the fried calamari.

1  Thank CJEllis
Reviewed 28 October 2011

- And outside Cortona! ... After having read the book of Francis Mayes, seen the movie, and learned how an anxient Etruscan town like Cortona - together with its boutiques, its citizens and its charm, was able to turn an existential crisis upside down and into a floring romance, a still lasting marriage and a never ending story that relates to the ones who so easily transformed a completely torn heart from powerlessness to triumph, fulfilling it with life's essentials; food, love and wine.... - I had to come here, and experience it my self. I have fallen completely in love with this small city of Cortona, so much that I hardly got the time to see what was just at the feet of it, "it" being placed on the top of what's to small to be a mountain and to tiny to be a hill. When I finally got on the other side of the walls, it was already my last day in I-T-A-L-Y - and there are like dusins of fractions within the comune of Cortona. However, I was invited by coincidence to this restaurant called "SottoCortona", which seemed to be like any other restaurant out of many good ones that are situated int this zone. But it wasn't. Allright, the Sun was dancing on the sky right in front of us, the wine was fantastic (Spumante di Baracchi, Asinone 2004, Poliziano, Castagno 2007, Fabrizio Dionisio and something called Occhio di Pernice - never tasted a Vin Santo like this, I didn't get the year or the producer, it was smooth, sweet, exact amount of acid, best vin santo ever), a stream of antipasti called "Mare e terra", filled ravioli with mushroom Porcini in buttersauce with fresh Summer truffles, the most tender meat I've had since I got here, made on "The Braceria" - which means that the Chef grills it on open fire - but the persons in here.. They as well.. They were like the food! just in human. Not only professionals and service minded.. they were really passionated, caring and sincerely warm people... We skipped cheese and went directly to The Dolce; fresh fruit, home made ice cream of Babà (some Napoletanean speciality which is normally a cake), Profiteroles - here they called it "Bigne", a perfect double espresso and a Limoncello (offered by the house). Cortona is marvellous but this night was the greatest culinarian treat we have had on the whole trip. And even at prices that you wouldn't believe, we ended up paying around 35€ for the food menu per person!!! (+ the wine). Absolute admirable. And finally we found out, that the owner used to run a small luxury relais called Il Grappolo Blu, my fiance and I spent a few days there a couple of years ago. Finding out who's behind this place, of course explains the quality! Absolutely amazing. HoW, I just love Italy!. We will be back. We have had a magic stay at Cortona and a magic last night at SottoCortona in company with very good friends, it was simply perfect. Thank you so much. We are really greatful.

2  Thank AuroraHummel