“Fabulous!”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Fabulous!”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I've been to "Mario's" many times over the years, and there's a reason to it. The food is absolutely fantastic! I recommend you try the fumo and osso buco. Not only is the food fantastic but the service and location are wonderful as well! Mario is genuine, friendly and knows the hillside specialties. The restaurant is easily accessible by foot or by car as it is located a few meters away from a parking area.
I cannot make my Cortona visit complete, until I've visited Mario. And now I know to wear loosely fitted outfits whenever I'm in town!

Visited July 2013
3 Thank Maria A

cortona, italy
“Super Mario says it all!!”
Reviewed 4 June 2013

Etrusca was recommended to us by our guide so we went for lunch our second day in Cortona. The pasta was just made and melted in your mouth while the sauce was spectacular no matter which one we ordered. We made reservations for dinner later in the week on the spot, and pre-ordered Mario's Famous Osso Bucco for 6 of us later that week. We showed up promptly at 2000 and Mario served us our dinner a few minutes later. All I can say is "if you love Osso Bucco, go see Mario !!!" The best.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank richard l
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
“Charming and delicious!”
Reviewed 1 June 2013

I ate here twice while attending school in Cortona. The restaurant is small and simple. The food is simple and delicious! The owner, Mario, is a funny and kind man. Try the penne fumo, it is amazing!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Erin B
Tahoma, California
“Small is large!”
Reviewed 14 May 2013

I have eaten at Cafe Etrusca many times in the past year during 4 different visits to Cortona. I was introduced to the cafe by my former college Geography professor, a Cortanese! Cafe Etrusca doesn't get the visitor play found down the hill near Piazza Signorelli; it's location involves a short walk up the hill near the NE gate in the Roman wall on Via Dardano. Mario has made a name for himself among the students from the Univ. Of Georgia campus in Cortona. That should tell you something: ample food and good value.
His limited menu focuses on pasta with several sides(contorni). Meat is available, depending on what's available in local markets. I have eaten the best T-bone steak ever(and I've eaten a few) at Etrusca. He bought it around the corner just for me!
He has only about 8 tables inside, but an equal number outside when weather warms up during summer, when tourists abound, especially on weekends when Italians flock to this historic location(Cortona).
Owner Mario is a fine man, very attentive and accommodating. If one calls in advance, he will prepare "Fegato", a dish he is renowned for throughout Tuscany. It is my favorite, bar none. During off season weekdays, Mario has time to sit and chat-that's the fun part of eating at Etrusca. I can't wait to return to Cafe Etrusca when I return to Cortona in September.

• Visited September 2012
Canmore, Alberta, Canada
“best place for free wifi in Cortona”
Reviewed 8 November 2012

A bit of a locals place, this is a great little restaurant and pub. Excellent house red wine and beer on tap. They serve light meals and have a portion of the shop with meat and cheese for sale. The wifi signal is strong and free with a glass of wine or something to eat. A very pleasant place to check emails. But don't stay too long...too many great things to see in Cortona!

Visited October 2012