“Honeymoon under the Tuscan sun!”

Relais Il Falconiere & Spa
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in Cortona
San Diego, California
“Honeymoon under the Tuscan sun!”
Reviewed 24 January 2013

We stayed at Il Falconiere for 3 nights in September while on our honeymoon. Service was excellent, the grounds are very well kept. The hotel is on a hill surrounded by vineyards, amazing view. Daily breakfast had fresh pastries, fruit, eggs made to your taste, served on the garden. Our room cozy and romantic with a beautiful 4 poster bed. Food at the restaurant was the highlight - we actually ended up eating there lunch and dinner each day - that's how good it is!
We recommend to try the wine therapy in the spa!
The hotel is in countryside, so more suitable for those who are looking for quiet time with great food and wine.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Il_Falconiere, Proprietario at Relais Il Falconiere & Spa, responded to this review, 5 March 2013
Dear Sammy,
thank you for your beautiful review. I'm very happy to make a memorable honeymoon! Il Falconiere is an incredible location of charme and ideal for honeymooner couples, Cortona is an enchanting hill top town and our typical Tuscan countryside is lovely. I hope to see you soon for your next trip in Italy
Silvia Baracchi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 1 January 2013 via mobile

Step back in time...surround yourself with history, comfort and truly outstanding services.
Mangiare Bene,
Bere Bene, Essere Ben...from the moment you arrive, you will feel welcome...if you have a need or a wish the Baracchi's
will satisfy your requests. Dine in the gardens...stroll the grounds...stop by the winery...release your worry's at the Spa..
Relax poolside..find your private time within your sumptuous villa.

Historical villages beckon those with a sense of adventure. Find the Time...Fretta Vita E Breve!

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Wayne W
Caro Wayne,
I see you try to improve your Italian!! it is very nice to read your fantastic review with a mix of Italian and English!!! Bellissima! I hope to welcome you again so we can try to speach Italian and you can help me with English! OK? Va bene?
Spero di rivederti presto
Manhattan, New York, United States
Reviewed 30 December 2012

We stayed at the Il Falconiere for the first 3 nights of our honeymoon. The town of Cortona is very charming and the front desk will help you figure out what places to go to in the town. There are also a bunch of tombs nearby which were fun to drive by and visit. The restaurant is very good,but it is also a little pricey. It is well worth checking out for a high end fine dining experience, but there are also very good food options in Cortona, which have more of a country / traditional feel. We also did a spa day which was a nice way to relax after the wedding - the jacuzzi is a nice touch to relax before and after your treatment. The owner, Riccardo, came out to greet us one night on the terrace while we were having drinks, which was a nice personal touch and made us feel very welcomed.

Overall, I would recommend staying here. There's also a real falcon on the grounds.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Eric,
I and Lilla ( my falcon) are very happy to see your review!! Very nice! It is a pure pleasure read a positive comment like yours. This is very important for both, me and for the staff as well. This gives to us more energy to do our wok better and better!!
Thank you for the time you dedicate to us and I hope to see you soon
Reviewed 25 December 2012

We did not stay the night here as we had already booked a Villa to stay in. It was suggested by Original Tuscan wedding planners that as we were eloping that we utilise the beautiful 17th century chapel adjoining the restaurant. From start to finish we had a stunning day, even though it was Fall, the sun came out and shone on us. The chapel was breathtaking we managed to fit a violinist, cellist and tenor from the conservatory in Florence, our wedding planners and us. We also had the falcon just outside who greeted me on arrival. We had preordered our wedding lunch and as we arrived at 2pm the last guests left and we had the entire restaurant to ourselves. Our waiter Gianni gave us impeccable service each dish was delivered in a cloche and we were recommended which wines to try with each meal. The meals were incredibly good, the flavours, presentation, stunning! We are still talking about our special meal, the beautiful menus made especially for us to take home. The grounds were stunning for our wedding photos. If you are wanting a beautiful meal in a beautiful setting then I can not fault II Falconiere. The wines we tried were lovely. We ended up the day with the hotel ordaining a driver back to our Villa. If you are thinking of getting married and want go somewhere special this is the place!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bella N
Dear Bella,
thank you for your fantastic review!! I'm very happy when I'm able to make happy a guest, but you cannot immage my feeling when I can relize a perfect wedding venue!
Our location is very beautiful, the private church, the restaurant and the garden, a perfect scenery fot the most exclusive wedding like yours.
I hope to see you for your anniversary or early!
Againg congratulations !!!!
Denver, CO
Reviewed 13 December 2012

I have stayed at Il Falconiere many times, but I'm new at doing reviews, so here I go. This Relais and Chateau is by far the best I have stayed at, and I have stayed at several. It is in the most amazing location just outside of Cortona, and the grounds are simply fantastic. The family that runs the property are gracious hosts, and the staff is so attentive, and kind. Starting with the breakfast spread. WOW!

They have a huge spread and great juices, coffees, and teas. Walking into the spa once instantly relaxes. The turkish bath is great, and the wine therapy is one of the coolest things I have ever done.

Then cooking school we have done twice. Once with our six year old daughter. It is like nothing I have ever experienced. To be thought by a Michelin star chef was such s treat! The wine tasting was the highlight of this last trip. The wine maker, Riccardo let us taste the new Pinot noir right out of the barrel. That was so great. We would up shipping several cases of the wine and oil home.

Now I love great food. The food here is like nothing I have ever had. Gourmet like I have never had. I had a steak tar tar that was under glass. When they opened the glass, smoke came out! It was so good. I have had lunch and dinner there many times and I have always left amazed at the quality of the food, and the impeccable service.

The rooms are right out of a Tuscan dream picture book, as are the grounds. The only thing I don't like about il falconiere is when I have to leave.

I highly recommend this property, the spa, and the restaurant.

Room Tip: The room over the cantina!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Liesllighting
Dear Liesl,
thank you so much for your spectacular Review! it is wonderful ! You described Il Falconiere in such fantastic way! I don't have the enogh words in English to replay to you!!
Anyway I would like say thank you personally. Of course I'm waiting for our next cooking lesson with your daughter too... it will be very funny! Spend time in the kitchen with children is always very nice!
Yours faithfully
Silvia
Ogunquit, Maine
Reviewed 10 December 2012

We had just finished a 10 day trip in Tuscany before coming to spend 4 days at Il Falconiere, I and my Husband arrived two days ago in Cortona, unfortunately today we are not under the Tuscan sun! but under Tuscan rain and wind! So we have time to write a review!
The Owner Silvia is doing her best to make us feel like home, very helpful.
The restaurant is excellent - the best of our trip in Italy. Silvia brings you the best food and wine.
Romantic room with relaxing view and window to see the sky. Charming spa with exclusive treatmants and wine therapy.
We'd like to thank all the staff for the lovely stay. Thank you, Silvia!!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Il_Falconiere, Proprietario at Relais Il Falconiere & Spa, responded to this review, 16 December 2012
Dear Elisabeth,
It was my really pleasure spent time with you and with your husband Bob! you are a wanderful couple! On this season it easy have bad wheater but I see you full of energy anyway!!
Thanks a lot for the review and I hope to see you again next sprig!!
Saluti da Cortona
Silvia Baracchi Chef & Owner
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 26 November 2012

This Relais et Chateau property oozes charm but could use a hefty dose of practicality.

On the positive side, the location is fabulous. The grounds are beautiful and tastefully landscaped, with many fruit trees, lawn areas and walking paths. The hotel overlooks a valley sprinkled with vineyards and orchards, with hills in the distance. There is a fashionable spa, with an indoor/outdoor pool, and also an outdoor pool (which we did not use, as the weather was a bit cool for swimming). The staff was very friendly and helpful, doing their best to accommodate their guests’ wishes. The restaurant is the prize—impeccable service and wonderful food. If you are interested, take the cooking school, where you will learn more than you could anticipate.

In keeping with the name of this hotel, the owner (a lovely lady) has a large falcon (called Leela) which is left outside during good weather. If you are fortunate, as we were, she will present the falcon on her arm. For us, it was an unusual and lovely touch.

On the other hand, there are some practical issues. First, if you are driving, make sure you arrive during daylight (or have the exact address in your GPS—the coordinates are not totally accurate). The last 2.4 kilometers of the drive to Il Falconiere consist of a one-lane road, frequently bordered by a high stone fence. At nighttime, the drive is daunting. Second, the rooms, while charming, lack some practical amenities. Our room (No. 10) was charmingly decorated with period furniture. Ironically, that was part of the problem. The antique armoire was not deep enough for standard size coat hangers. As a result, our hanging garments were cramped when the doors were closed. Moreover, one of my pet peeves is theft-proof coat hangers. I can understand why a one-star hotel might see the need for theft-proof coat hangers, but I would expect that the clientele who can afford to stay at a Relais et Chateau property are unlikely to purloin coat hangers. The bathroom has only one pedestal sink which lacked any storage place for toiletries. There was a small low cabinet which of course my wife took over, leaving me to put my toiletries on a shelf that was no more than 18 inches higher than the floor—not a very comfortable situation. In addition, we could not access wifi from our room, which was a real annoyance. The excuse was that the walls were very thick. In this day and age, the solution would be to upgrade the hotel’s wifi system, as many if not most guests like to be able to access the internet while traveling.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank silverbrian
Il_Falconiere, Proprietario at Relais Il Falconiere & Spa, responded to this review, 4 December 2012
Dear Mr Silverbrian,
thank you for your appreciations about our hotel. We tried during the work to restore the old Villa and the Church to cheap the original atmosphere, without change to much the site. For this reason the Villa, the lemon house, the church and the farm house are very beautiful, but about of technology like Wi Fi we are not at not the top! We can reach the signal just from Cortona, we cannot bring a cable underground we can only rely on the connection by air, and it has not a regular signal.
Antique furnitures are the ideal decoration of our house and of course there are no very comfortable sometime, but they have an unique and charming taste. About the hangers, we arrived to buy this model because many clients were used to take away ours, leaving plastic and horrible hangers!
Anyway I rely on the future to have as soon as possible a very fast connection, also for us in office! Thank you agin for your comments. Silvia Baracchi