“A lovely property with execeptional service.”

Relais La Corte dei Papi
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Cortona
Dallas, Texas
“A lovely property with execeptional service.”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

My wife and I recently returned from a one week stay at the Relais La Corte dei Papi. The setting is behind a stone wall along the main road in the village of Pergo which is itself just down the hill from Cortona. (Note that its not really within walking distance of Cortona - probably a ten minute drive up the hill).

The setting was peaceful and quiet, with lovely rose bushes greeting you at the drive and walkway up to the villas. The villas themselves include a renovated stone farmhouse and newer buildings that match. We stayed in the original farmhouse and our room was comfortable and tastefully decorated in the Tuscan style, if a bit small. The room had all the modern conveniences, including a TV and minibar. As is common in Europe, I found the mattress to be a little firm for my taste.

There was a nice pool behind the main building, although the weather was a bit too cool to use it during our visit. Each morning a lovely extended continental breakfast was served, either on the terrace out front, by the pool or inside the restaurant when weather required. We had dinner at the restaurant on two nights, and it serves Tuscan specialties in an elegant setting. The cellar has an extensive list of fine wines from around Italy.

As others have said, the proprietor, David, was an exceptional host who went out of his way to ensure our happiness and comfort. I've stayed in a lot of inns and hotels, but must say he is the best innkeeper I've ever encountered. I would heartily recommend this inn.

Room Tip: The suites in the new villa are more contemporary in style, with advanced whirlpools and showers.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Caledon, Canada
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We visited this wonderful villa in 2009 and ensured it was on our itinerary again this year as we returned to Italy.The villa is privately owned and David is always present; to greet you upon arrival to waving good bye as you depart.

We had our same accommodations which are the smallest of the rooms. We had requested them upon booking. They are not large but are incredibly well appointed with rich fabrics, finishes, antiques, small refrigerator and conveniences. Lighting in the rooms is not as bright as home, however throughout Italy we have found that this was the case. There was a TV but we never turned it on. We were always touring or sitting by the pool enjoying the views and peacefulness of the area. Although is a local rooster to ensure you awake early to enjoy your day ! You are only about 10 minutes to Cortona by car or if you prefer to take a taxi it costs 15 Euros one way. And you are only around the corner from the villa from "Under The Tuscan Sun". The Rooster Trail and many other highlights are great day trips from this location.

We also had a cooking class at the villa where we made pasta, sauce, dessert and laughed a lot. Of course there was plenty of wine to enjoy throughout the lesson.

Since our last visit David added several additional spa suites which we had the opportunity to view. They are extremely large with antique beds, flat screen TV's, immense walk-in showers, over sized jaccuzi tubs with more jets than I could count, incredibly high ceilings, wardrobes, AC and safes in each room. Heavy wooden doors over 12' high opened to your oasis. The two story honeymoon suite defined romance. All rooms had large doors opening onto small patios to enjoy. These rooms are a must!

Although we had not planned to eat there every night we found we did in fact come back for dinner all five nights. The food was so good, the wine list extensive and service impeccable. Dining al a fresco is so refreshing when there are no mosquitoes to spoil your evening. Of course David was there to serve and ensure you were having a good time. The traditional Tuscan soup that was served was one of my personal favorites. The staff were wonderful, friendly and there to assist.

The hotel has no amenities for children (i.e. no programmes); no gym and it may not be suitable for wheelchairs. You would have to check to see if one of the independent villas right on property or the spa suites was accessible for that purpose. You do need a car to get about the area as there is nothing close by; nevertheless that is what we truly enjoyed. There is no evening entertainment at the villa but Cortona has plenty to offer.

I would love to go back someday and if we do we will definitely stay with David!

1 Thank Noseworthys
Seattle
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Truly a Tuscan paradise. We have so enjoyed our 3 nights here, and my 11 year old son, who is oblivious to most all hotel accommodations, even said how much he'd like to stay longer. As everyone has already said, David is a wonderful host -- so charming, helpful and patient, and while he works tirelessly for his guests, I will say the place he works is pretty incredible. Gorgeous grounds, authentically decorated rooms, wonderful food. And the staff David has to work with are equally professional and friendly. The service here is top-notch. This is not our last trip to Tuscany and we will stay here again when we return!

Room Tip: The one tip I'd offer when selecting a room is to make sure what you find important in a bathroo...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My husband and I spent a week at La Corte dei Papi at the end of May and had such a nice time. I would most definitely love to stay there again and highly recommend the hotel. The property is beautiful and elegant but the real gem is the service. The owner, David, works very hard to provide exemplary service. He greeted us each morning and evening with a smile and always remembered our names. I left my iPad on my plane from NY to Rome and he was kind enough to help me place multiple calls to the airport in Rome in efforts to recover my iPad (which we amazingly did!) He really went above and beyond to help us and above and beyond the level of service I've received at other hotels.

We stayed in one of the smaller rooms in the original home and our room was just lovely. It was such a treat to learn about the property and how David and his family have worked to expand it and make it more beautiful each year. The spa rooms are on my list of places to stay in the future for a special event! We toured a few of them and they are really special and unique. I enjoyed our morning breakfast on the patio each day and also enjoyed spending time by the lovely pool. We dined at the restaurant two evenings. Again, the food was delicious and the service was exceptional.

The city center of Cortona is a short drive and David also helped us in arranging restaurant reservations and helped us attend a wine pairing dinner that was one of the highlights of our trip. We would not have known about this event if it were not for David. David's service and that of the staff was top notch all around.

I loved staying in the beautiful Cortona area as it is such a lovely place but the service at La Corte dei Papi really set this hotel apart from other places we have stayed. We arrived as guests but left as friends.

Room Tip: If you are looking for an extra special room consider one of the spa rooms. They have special baths...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Before I write about the Relais and David, I have to confess that this is my first review on Tripadvisor. I have been relying on all of you for years for great recommendations and so I have to thank the whole community for a lot of great advice. I am writing this review because the Relais La Corte dei Papi really was extraordinary.

So a bit of background, my wife and I had a business week in London and then a week off and we decided to go Tuscany for our first time. We decided to do 3 days in Florence and then rent a car and visit Tuscany for another 3 days. We chose to stay at Relais La Corte dei Papi because of all of the great reviews on Tripadvisor. The Relais and David lived up to all the reviews and definitely exceeded our expectations.

The Relais is exactly what you see from the photos on the internet. It is an older inn that has been modernized with everything you need including wifi. The location is great - very central in the Tuscany region. We did days trips to Montepulciano, Siena, San Gimignano and Cortona. They are all great towns to visit, hang out, have lunch and drink some wine. And when we were done, coming back to the Relais was like coming back home.

Now what separates the Relais from lots of other places in Tuscany or anywhere else -- it all comes down to Daivd Papi. He is absolutely committed to giving you best service possible and helping you in any way he can. He can help you with just about anything - whatever you need at the inn, driving directions, local restaurants and attractions, etc. Furthermore, his staff were also outstanding whether it was the servers in the restuarant or the people who looked after the rooms.

At the Relais, breakfast is included and is a good Euro breakfast with lots of options and great coffee. They also serve dinner in the evening. We ate there two out of three nights and it was outstanding.

We are definitely coming back to Tuscany some day and, when we do, we will definitely come back to the Relais La Corte dei Papi. David - we can't wait to come back.

Mike & Sharon

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Davide is kind enough to share his childhood home with the rest of us. He is a gracious host and manages the Villa rooms and the restaurant to perfection. We stayed in the old part of the house and it is exactly what you would expect from of a home in this area, warm and charming. David shared with us the spa rooms he has added to the property and we suddenly wished that we had not traveled with our kids (13 and 16). We would love to come back for this utterly relaxing and romantic experience. We even mentioned to our daughters as we left that this would be a wonderful place for an intimate wedding. A rooster crowing across the street only added to the charm of Davide's place. We also ate at the restaurant and could not believe the wine list, amazing! Only a short cab ride for Cortona this is a gem that has to be enjoyed if you have the time. We wish we could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: The spa rooms looked absolutely amazing and were the newest part of the property. If it was just th...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sara L
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 18 June 2014

My husband and I have stayed in many luxurious places and in many small hotels and inns. David Papi, the owner and proprietor, has made this hotel one of the most elegant, well-appointed and beautiful places we have ever visited. It was quiet and peaceful and gave us a real sense of being transported to another century (except for the presence of the most modern of amenities!).The attention to detail, the design of the room, the extraordinary gardens, the food and the service have prompted me to write this review -- which I have never done before -- because I feel that this inn is a gem and David deserves tremendous credit for that. We would return and would recommend it to our friends -- indeed, we already have.

Room Tip: Room #11 was huge and came equipped with luxurious bath tub and shower. Gorgeous wood floors.