“Lovely hotel, excellent friendly service.”
Review of Villa Marsili

Villa Marsili
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Cortona
Reviewed 18 September 2011

We stayed one night in this hotel and will put it on top of our list for next year. A lovely hotel with very pleasant engaging helpful staff. Tripadvisor award displayed in the reception is a nice touch too.

• Stayed: September 2011

Reviewed 12 September 2011

I got back yesterday from a week at Villa Marsili and don't want to lose anytime writing to tell of my experience. My mother died a few weeks ago and I needed some healing. Here is where you can find it in abundance. I travel all the time for work and stay in lots of hotels NONE ever in my experience meets the standard of the Villa Marsili. Iulia on reception is the best receptionist any hotel ever employed, I am at a loss to find words strong enough to describe how kind, generous, helpful and thoughtful she is, she makes your holiday perfect in every way. Gina in the dining room and Marvin as a night porter serving wonderful wine till the early hours under the tress in the garden are exceptional staff, kind thoughtful and super efficient.
I was in a small room because I was on my own and should have upgraded, my own fault, but the room was perfectly fine, clean, everything worked and it was just the cocoon of solitude I needed for siestas and for night. If you can treat yourself to a bigger room in the front with views out over the amazing Tuscan countryside, do.
I will be back and plan to tell everyone I love in this world of the hotel so they too can for a time enjoy it's generous warmth.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank AnnMcE
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We stayed 5 nights at the Villa Marsili, and wish we could have stayed on forever. Although we had one of the smaller double rooms, it was perfectly adequate even for our several day stay. We always unpack fully and were able to do so here. The service in the rooms is outstanding. The room and bathroom are extraordinarily clean. We were provided fresh towels twice a day which was important given the unusually high temperature weather we experienced during our trip. All of the staff were pleasant and helpful all the time. Iulia and Rosalinda at the front desk gave perfect advice and were charming and interesting to talk with, but Gina and Marvin also contributed to the pleasantness of our stay, as well as everyone else with whom we came in contact. Parking was free and convenient, and we received excellent advice about all of the day trips we wanted to take. Cortona is a great town to visit and a great location as a base for day trips in Tuscany and Umbria. We thought the price of our room was very reasonable for the quality of this 4 star hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2011

The staff (Julia especially) at this hotel together with the spectacular views and location make this an outstanding place to stay. The location just at the edge of this busy and hilly town are perfect. We saw so many hot and tired travellers lugging their suitcases on the cobblestone streets to hotels that were not accessible by taxi. But this hotel is on the edge of town which not only means it is easily reached by car, but it also has views from all rooms of the tuscan countryside.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 3 September 2011

If you are looking for a place to stay in Cortona, look no further. My wife and I agree that by far, the best hotel we have ever stayed at anywhere. The most friendly and helpful staff I have ever come across. They spoke perfect english and were always geniunely smiling. Location was perfect. Was far enough to be very quiet and easily accessible, but close enough to walk to all parts of town. My wife and I woke up late, around 12pm, and was offered breakfast "under the tuscan sun". They also have a kitchen to cook up any requests. At night, there was complimentary dinner wine/liquor and cheese in the lounge area, which is nicely decorated. The rooms were spaceous and comfortable, and the air conditioning worked well and was quiet. I cant express how much i enjoyed staying here. They have multiple TripAdvisor annual awards displayed.

Room Tip: Although the rooms facing the region had a beautiful view, all the rooms were nice and you can walk...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Six separate visits in five years probably says it all in terms of how I view the hotel. Phenomenal front of house (Stefano and Iulia have the patience of saints), great rooms, excellent breakfasts and little touches like the vin santo at night make this place deservedly Number 1. The car park one minute's walk away is a boon but if that weren't enough, the real X-factor is Cortona itself. 10 minutes leisurely amble up a not very steep hill into town, which is exactly as you thought a Tuscan hill town was supposed to be. I cannot speak highly enough of either the hotel or the town.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lancashirelad1964
Reviewed 8 July 2011

We stayed at Villa Marsili for 4 days and loved the staff and the hotel. Almost perfect location in Cortona since you can walk to everything (although up a rather steep hill.) The views from the rooms are amazing. On a clear day you can almost see all of Tuscany it seems. Julia was especially helpful arranging reservations and making recommendations. I would easily rate this one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. Besides walking around the town we also rented bikes for a day (there is a travel agency in Camucia that rents bikes for 8 euros a day.) There is a bike trail that is rather flat that is about 15 k long just outside of camucia. Since Camucia is in the valley below Cortona you do not have to ride up or down the massive hill to Cortona. We road the traii out and then took some back roads for the return to Camucia. ( I can send map)

If you want a culinary treat try Il Falconiere for lunch. It will set you back $100 Euros for 2 though.

Our only complaint was the Free Internet. It seemed to only work a few feet from front desk. Everyone else seemed to be having the same problem. Management should install some additional Wifi points which would only cost a few hundred dollars. In the rooms would be even better.

Room Tip: Front of hotel on 2nd or third floor.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank newtonmatraveler
CortonaCortona, Manager at Villa Marsili, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.
We are pleased to announce that additionally the internet cable connection is already available in the guest rooms, the WI-FI is scheduled to be upgraded and installed throughout the hotel within the first week of August. Further, a web cam is also being placed on the top floor of Villa Marsili enabling panoramic views of Cortona and the Valdichiana valley.

Thank you and all of our guests who we have had the pleasure of welcoming to Villa Marsili.

Kind regards
Stefano Meacci
Hotel Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cortona
Villa di Piazzano
#3 of 23 in Cortona
Hotel San Luca
Hotel San Luca
#14 of 23 in Cortona

Been to Villa Marsili? Share your experiences!