“A gem of a hotel...in a gem of a town...the place to stay in Tuscany....” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Villa Marsili

and 1 more site!
Villa Marsili
Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in Cortona
Dublin
“A gem of a hotel...in a gem of a town...the place to stay in Tuscany....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2009

I spent 5 wonderful nights at this gem of a hotel. I have been to many hotels in Italy but this was by far the best..it stands head and shoulders above the rest. What I really liked about the hotel was the attention to detail..from the very courteous and friendly staff to the way the room was presented...Having a complimentary drink before you head for your dinner and one on return was nice..being in a location so close to so many wonderful restaurants was also great...The only concern that some might have is the parking...they dont have their own car park so you have to park(free of charge) out on the street. This did not bother me as we always got a space near the hotel. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Polish first
Orinda
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2009

Of all the places we stayed in Italy for our three week vacation, Villa Marsili Hotel was the best place.
Why: 1) Great location because of the hotel is just right off the main road (quiet) that overlooks the entire valley of Tuscany! Breathtaking. 2) Hotel service is outstanding. Helpful and kind staff = Stefano, Luana, Gialuca, and Julia. 3) Cortona is not a crowded touristy town, but a relaxing and quaint town where you can decompress from Roma and Firenze. 4) The large rooms are elegantly decorated with large bathrooms equipped with the latest plumbing fixtures. 5) Rooms are well insulated from the traffic noise down below which really is not a factor. 6) Well operating elevators. 7) Comfortable king size beds 8) The best breakfast we experienced of all the B&B's in Italy, but it is not really American as advertised. The buffet table is huge. 8) Parking is free on the road to the right side of the hotel (as you face the hotel). They also offer enclosed parking at a charge. Security is not an issue, so parking on the street is an easy choice. 9) The hotel is well maintained and in great condition. 10) The hotel provides laundry service which is greatly appreciated since all small B&B's cannot offer that service. 11) Great aperitif at 7:00 p.m. everyday in the lounge area followed by an evening aperitif with biscotti.

A few issues that one needs to be aware that should not deter one from staying at Villa Marsili: 1) Shower rain head sprays water everywhere outside of the shower. 2) Wi-fi is available only in the lobby/lounge area (not in the rooms) and at a cost. Internet is slow, but that is everywhere in Italy compared to US standards.

Park yourself in Villa Marsili and take day trips from here to Assisi, Seina, Montepulciano, San Gimignano, etc.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Kuttawa, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2009

I stayed at Villa Marsili from July 24 - 30, 2009. My stay was so relaxing, so perfect in every way. The hotel STAFF is what makes this place so special. Stefano, Luana, Lulia, Gina and the sweet young man who works midnights felt like family to me during my stay. The bellman, the maids, all so friendly, efficient and professional.

The staff goes above and beyond the call of duty in making sure their guests are treated like royalty making dinner reservations, cooking class reservations and giving perfect directions to anywhere you want to go in the area.

All of the restaurants recommended by the staff were superb and offered me a one on one experience that I will never forget. One night was my birthday and the staff must have told the restaurant because I was treated like a queen from the moment I arrived at La Buccachia until the moment they sang Happy Birthday to me and presented me with a special little birthday goodie! I will never forget the kindness and attention to detail the staff gave me.

The rooms are spotless! So clean and comfortable. You have the option to open or close your windows and shutter. If you leave both closed, there is not a sound from outside. But if you prefer them open, you hear the hustle and bustle of everyday Italian life. I actually enjoyed listening to the outside world as I slept!

Gina prepares the morning breakfast which looks like a picture out of a gourmet magazine. The breakfast is soooo good. Breads, pastries, Italian meats and cheeses, boiled eggs, tomatoes, fruit, cereals, spreads, juices, coffees, and my every morning Coca Cola Light. Gina does an excellent job and is so sweet and kind. She also prepares the evening appertif that is so enjoyable. At 7:00 p.m. each evening you come down to the lobby and are presented with a table so pretty you think you are at a wedding reception. The snacks are not only pleasing to the eye, but to the stomach as well! Always a pitcher of drinks on hand too. This is a great time to mingle with the other guests. I met some very nice people from all over the world during those moments. I looked forward to that every night! And, all of that is included in your room price!

Luana and Lulia arranged a cooking class for me at local farmhouse outside of town. Benedetta was my personal chef and taught me how to make true Tuscan dishes! That was the highlight of my entire trip! I recommend a cooking class with Benedetta highly!

Upon request I was given directions on how to get to Bramasole from "Under the Tuscan Sun". It is a very enjoyable 20 minute walk....up hill....but so worth it. Bramasole is a beautiful home and the landscaping is breath-taking.

There is so much to do in Cortona. I found the town charming, the people very friendly and the food and gelato amazing! Visit Dolce Vita for your ice cream treats! mmmmm.

Stefano made sure that everything was perfect not only for me but for all the guest staying at the hotel. He is so good at his job and so very personable and friendly. Anything you need...just ask him!

I rate the staff 100+!!!!

You have many choices in Cortona, but I would make sure I gave Villa Marsili a try. I don't think you will be disappointed. I certainly was not!

The only negative I could think of....would be nice to have an iron in the room. Pressing service could get expensive. I like to iron my clothes as I wear them. Other than that, the hotel is perfecto!!!

Ciao! I hope to return someday! I enjoyed myself very, very much!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
Boca Raton, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2009

We stayed a few nights at Villa Marsilli in Cortona and traveled from there around Tuscany and Umbria . It is utterly charming hotel and town, the view is incredible and staff friendly and helpful. The town center is a close walk up the hill and makes visits there to explore the town easy. Do have dinner at La Buccacia...incredible Tuscan fare.
We love Tuscany ,this was our second trip there and we would visit this area again.
Villa Marsilli rooms were spacious, when you open the large shuttered windows to take in the view..it is Bella Tuscany at its best !
Boca Raton, Florida

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Arlington, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2009

Villa Marsili is a gem. The staff, Stefano, Julia, Jean Lucca and the others were so pleasant and helpful from the minute we walked in the door. We had a gorgeous honeymoon suite with Persecco the first night, with a gorgeous view of the valley. All the staff helped us to plan our daily outings and gave wonderful dinner recommendations. The road is a little noisy at night but you can't tell with the windows and shutters. The morning breakfast is full of cheeses, meats, fruit, cereals and set out beautifully every day. The happy hour daily is pleasant and you can eat in the courtyard outside in the fresh Tuscan air. If you plan a trip to Tuscany, definitely go to Cortona and definitely stay at Villa Marsili!!!

Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Little Rock, AR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2009

The Villa Marsili really lived up to its reputation. The hotel is a graceful and
welcoming. Restoraton is perfect and we felt like privileged guests in a fine
home. The Front Desk was the most helpful l have ever seen in years of
travel. They made our trip to Italy a standout! Cortona must not be missed
and neither should the Villa Marsili!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Perth Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2009

Three nights and we wish it could have been longer. Our room was large and beautifully appointed, fabulous bed and comfy pillows (such a plus when on holidays), large bathroom which is a treat when in Europe, great service, complimentary drinks and nibbles each evening in the lounge, and great location. Our view across the valley was momentus.
Our first taste of Tuscany and one that we will never forget.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple