“Gorgeous hotel and warm friendly staff”
Review of Villa Marsili

Villa Marsili
Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in Cortona
Ottawa
“Gorgeous hotel and warm friendly staff”
Reviewed 26 September 2010

My sister and I stayed in Cortona at this wonderful hotel for 3 nights and 4 days. It was the best accomodations we experienced during our 2 weeks sejour in Italy and Tuscany. We were greeted by a friendly lady who gave us all the tourist information we needed, including recommendations on restaurants, which were fantastic!

Our room was the perfect size and the view of the town below (Camucia) was spectacular. The hotel is an old Villa (renovated of course) situated in the town of Cortona, which was built on a hill, so you can imagine what we could see. The room was lovely, clean, complete with bath and shower and bath products, which I love hehe.

Every evening at 7pm until 8 (or a bit later, they are relaxed) aperitifs are spread out on a lovely table in the middle of the main room (juices, cheeses, meats, and cute lil canopes). The staff is dutiful in reminding you of this. They really want your stay to be as pleasant as it can possibly be. I cant get over how down to earth, attentive and friendly they were. You werent just a guest, you were like family. This is so rare these days!

They have a Facebook page if you are interested, under the name of the hotel. It was cool to meet the person who writes the posts and responds to comments. Nicola, I believe. He is so sweet and cute! I write a lot on Facebook and was really pleased to see that they knew who I was after I posted a comment about the hotel during my stay. They thanked me for my comments and the manager personally came to say goodbye to us when we left the hotel. I cant even believe it! I miss them and the hotel.

Ooh I almost forgot about the breakfast each morning. You can find a variety of juices, croissants and pasteries, cheeses, meats, cereal, fruit, etc in a large spread in the dining area. You are always immediately greeted by a server who will offer you coffee, tea or cappucino. The caps are fab btw.

Lastly, the hotel is just down the hill from the main square and the shopping, sights, etc are all nearby :)

La Boccacia (sp?) is a highly recommended restaurant, I suggest you ask about it!

So all in all, I recommend this hotel with a 10 star rating!!

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank Franeh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Hillsborough
Reviewed 22 August 2010

From the moment we checked into Villa Marsilli Hotel we were treated wonderfully by the staff. We had driven from Monaco, France and spent the entire day in the car zooming down the Italian coastline which was fun but tiresome. By the time we arrived we were exhausted. The staff told us to relax and enjoy the aperitif laid out in the main room. It was refreshing, native Italian olives, cheese and wine.

We were then shown to our rooms which were clean, modern but not glitzy. Where we unwound and napped. We woke up hungry and headedjavascript:checkAllPhotos(); to the front desk where we were
given walking directions to the village at the top of the hill and plenty of restaurant choices. Unfortunately I cannot remember the name of the place we ate on our first night other than to say it was just across from the town square steps and off to the right. The food was divine.

We had no idea until the morning that we had such a spectacular view of all of Cortona and Umbria from our hotel window. It really did look like a postcard. Many times we pinched ourselves to verify we were actually there looking at that magnificent view.

The breakfasts provided by the hotel were European style and very delicious. Our time in France and England prepared us for less than spectacular fare but the Villa Marsilli laid out a fresh spread every morning and it was all delicious.

We only stayed three days because we were supposed to spend time in Turin, Italy but we loved this hotel so much we attempted to cancel our reservations in Turin and stay at the Villa but it wasn't meant to be. Our Turin hotel refused to refund us our money even though we were within the refund period. I will say that the experience in Turin had us longing for Villa Marsilli and wishing we had just paid for the extra nights there..that's how great the hotel and staff are.

The only complaint we had was there was no parking onsite but once you are there you'll understand why..it's just not possible due to geography. So even that isn't a bad thing.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CriminyJimJim
Houston
Reviewed 8 August 2010

All of the reviews about Villa Marsili are consistent with our experience. The hotel is well maintained, is close to town and has a very good staff. In particular, Julia was extremely helpful in arranging for a car to take us to Cinque Terre. The breakfasts are great. While the rooms aren't fancy, they are large are have all the amenities that one could want (along with great views of Tuscany and Umbria).

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 7 August 2010

First, the hotel gets a star just for being in Cortona. it is well located, just a short walk into the main town area. The staff here could not do enough and made you feel at home from the second you walked in the door. The rooms are modest ,very clean and roomy for Europe, but the veiws are specatular. The included breakfeast was one of the better ones with lots of fresh fruit and, breads and cheeses. We sat outside in the front garden and sipped our cappiccinos in the early morning sun. You will not de disappointed staying here.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 22 July 2010

I had a delightful stay at the Ville Marsili. My room - a single - was larger than the usual European hotel room and the whole place was beautifully clean and cared for.
The staff were most helpful, especially when I had to change my plans and stay an extra night on account of an unexpected 24-hour train strike. Not only did the front counter staff contact the hotel in Venice to inform them of my delay, I was given a discount on the additional night's stay.
The breakfasts were generous and the coffee excellent. I especially enjoyed the evening cocktails offered for free in the lounge and adjoining garden.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
Hidden Hills, California
Reviewed 21 July 2010

14 of us stayed here on a Backroads cycling trip thru Tuscany and it was HOT! The air conditioning, my first priority was GREAT. The staff was great (english speaking and so helpful) , the rooms were big-bright with big windows to open, the bathrooms were big and updated, everything was clean. As others have stated, the breakfast was great as well as the free evening cocktails. Don't know if that was the hotel or Backroads thought! Great location to walk into town. If we ever go back to Cortona, we will stay here again.

• Stayed June 2010
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2010

My wife and I were attending a wedding in Cortona and chose the Villa Marsili based on Tripadvisor reviews. We were not disappointed.

We stayed at the hotel for two nights in July 2010.

The hotel is situated a couple of minutes walk away from the town centre which means it is a lovely quiet location and just a very short walk into the centre of Cortona for food, drinks etc.

The staff (particularly the lady on reception) were really, really helpful. This made the say so much better. She helped book restaurants, told us about free parking, gave tips on local sites etc. We never once felt like a burden to her, and she was always happy to see us.

There is no free parking on site, but you can park less than two minutes walk away for free and we never struggled to find a space.

The rooms were spacious and well prepared. The bed was comfy and the TV had CNN and MTV in english. The bathroom was well apportioned with a shower, toilet, BD and sink. The room also has air-con (which we really needed!).

Everything was really clean and we had a great view across the valley (room 23).

There is a lift in the hotel if you need it.

We had breakfast both days and it was lovely. There was loads of fresh fruit, cold meat and cheeses, cereals, yoghurts, pastries and even cakes. They also offer various fruit juices, hot drinks and cold water.

All in all, this was a great hotel and I'd definitely stay here again. The staff really care about your stay which is what set this apart from other hotels.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple