“A Pleasant Home Base in Cortona”

Le Gelosie Bed and Breakfast and Apartments
Ranked #25 of 43 Cortona B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 March 2010

Le Gelosie is a small B & B located in a narrow building which was once someone's home. It has been totally refurbished. Le Gelosie is perched on the edge of the Piazza Signorelli which is one of the hubs of life in Cortona, so we stayed right in the middle of it all and I'm glad we did. In the B & B, you have to climb stairs to get to your room; this was not a problem for us. Indeed, all of Cortona is steep and hilly and some of the streets are all stairs, so bring sturdy shoes. The views of the surrounding countryside are breath-taking.

Our room was spacious and spare. No strange hotel art to look at on the walls--they were bare and simply stuccoed in a warm yellow color. We had a nice window with shutters which opened onto the square. The bed was especially comfortable--one of the newer foam-topped styles, I think. I like the shiny wood floor--no mouldering old carpets like you find in so many hotels. The bathroom was large and the shower stall, especially so. I loved the huge heated towel rack and really want one to have at home. Our room was warm, too, which was a plus since the weather had been quite chilly.

Here are a couple of suggestions though, to make the place better: though there is the wardrobe, please put a few coathooks around the room and in the bathroom, as it would be helpful to have more places for two people to put their clothing. Also, a little fridge and hot water pot would make great additions.

If you choose, breakfast is included (a slightly higher price). There is no breakfast room in the B & B, though, so you have to go to a nearby bar, so you get to really be part of the local breakfast scene.

Getting to Cortona was a lesson in using public transportation. We took the train from Florence. The station is in Camucia, which is about 4 miles from Cortona, so you either have to take a taxi or a public bus. The buses are more scarce on the weekend, so pay attention to the schedules.

This B & B is different from some I have stayed in because the owner does not live on the premises. So, while you are met when you arrive, you are pretty much on your own for the stay. We had no problem with this as we like being independent. Unless you are with a traveling companion, though, it could feel a little lonely. I am sure the proprietor is available by phone if you have a question.

By far, the two best meals of our whole Tuscan trip were both in Cortona. Nissun Dorma has really interesting and delicious food; my porcini risotto was so good and the best I've ever had. Trattoria Toscana is just a door or two up the hill from Le Gelosie, and our meals there were just great--I had a square-spaghetti-like pasta with flavorful fresh artichoke sauce and my husband enjoyed a spicy fusilli dish with crumbled sausage. The best cornetti (croissant, Italian style) came from the little bakery across the street--pay attention to when it is open, because it is worth a visit.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ArtTraveler A

Reviewed 14 September 2009

I decided to stay in an apartment on this trip, in order to be able to experience Cortona at first hand - shopping, cooking and relaxing at my own speed. It was perfect. I Terrazzini is under the same management as Le Gelosie B&B, also run by Andrea, who met me at the station and brought me to my apartment. Just off Piazza Repubblica in a tiny alleyway, the location could not have been better. It was immaculate, with two tiny terraces. I had every facility I needed: a modern kitchen with all cooking facilities; air conditioning when we had a few extremely hot days; a lovely sitting room, bedroom and modern shower-room. Andrea was very helpful - full of information about everything I needed to know about self-catering in Cortona. I can't wait to return and will do so as soon as possible.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 September 2009

I stayed in Le Gelosie B&B from Monday 31st August to Sunday 6th September 2009. I enjoyed my stay and found that the B&B really suited me. I do a lot of solo travel and like to be left to my own devices and do my own thing. This B&B was perfect for this. Other than check in, check out and getting breakfast vouchers, there was no other interaction with the staff.

It is a small B&B, 4 rooms I think, one per floor. The room has a decent size bedroom, a great, super king size bed (very comfortable), satellite TV (Sky Italia, good selection of english language channels and movie channels), decent dresser and wardrobe space and a decent sized bathroom with an unbelievably powerful shower.

The reception area is mostly unmanned, except for a few hours each morning and guests are given their own front door key (on the same keyring as the room key). The front door is locked when the reception is unmanned. The road that the B&B is on is reasonably busy with traffic (both human and vehicles) but this noise can be shut out by closing the windows. There are a lot of nice restaurants on the same street so there is plenty of choice for dining.

Like all streets in Cortona, Via Dardano is hilly and is an uphill walk from Piazza De La Republica. I got used to this after one day. There are no lifts in the B&B so at the end of your hill walk, you get a nice stair climb. Good for working off the pasta and alcohol! I was staying on the first floor so only had two short flights of stairs.

I didn't meet the owner (Andre) at all but spoke to him on the phone once and he was helpful. Most of my dealings were with Fabiana, an extremely pleasant and helpful Brazilian girl who spoke good Italian but no English. Despite this, I found that we were still able to communicate and she went out of her way to help.

There is no mini bar or any kind of food and drink available in the B&B. You are given a voucher for breakfast in the Nessun Dorma cafe nearby and this was a very nice experience, particularly when sitting in the outside area, watching people pass by and listening to the singers rehearse in the Teatro Signorelli.

In summary, if you are an independent traveller looking for a place to call your own in Cortona for the duration of your stay, then this is the place for you. If you are looking to be waited on, have a 24 hour reception, mini bar, restaurant etc and to have everything done for you, this place will not suit you.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank RobYounger
Reviewed 20 July 2009

this B&B was simply perfect ! We stayed for 1 night , in a very nice room ,clean and very comfortable bed - and the bathroom was also very nice and equipped with the most trendy gear.And the TV had about 500 channels by SKY !
It is also easy to reach by car - and there is a parkingarea near by .
We have stayed in Cortona several times before - and this must be the best B&B in this city ! I will recomend it for any one travelling to Cortona.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 October 2008

We spent two nights here in Cortona and would happily recommned Le Gelosie to anyone. We surprised Andrea by arriving a day ahead of schedule (our mistake, not his) and he couldn't have been more accomodating. Luckily, he had rooms available and while we slipped away to have lunch, he made hasty arrangments to have the rooms cleaned, beds made, etc. The B&B is comfrotable and well located -- in Via Dardano just above two of the town's principal squares. Andrea's dinner recommendations were spot on and had we stayed longer, I'm sure he would have been very helpful planning day trips in the surrounding area. He clearly loves what he does and his hospitality was warm and sincere. Hard to imagine a more inviting or comfortable stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 22 September 2008

Interested to read some of the earlier reviews; I have to say I can't relate to the negative ones.

We found the owner to be very welcoming and helpful in pointing out various things to see in Cortona (make sure you walk up to Basilica S Margherita at the top of town going up past Severini's mosaic Stations of the Cross and then back down the winding streets to the centre of town).

We were staying in the room at the top of Le Gelosie. It had low ceilings due to original beams and was very individual in its layout as a result of the sloping roof. We loved that unique quality.

We found our bathroom to be well appointed with a very good large-headed shower. Admittedly the bathroom was quite small, but then I wouldn't have expected less of a room built into the ceiling space.

Our room was comfortable and when there was noise in the street outside (this is right in the middle of town let's not forget) we were able to shut the double-glazed windows which cut out all noise. Not that we really needed it but the room was air-conditioned.

The one down-side of this room is that there are 4 flights of stairs. This was fine for us but I imagine would be a problem for people less mobile.

Breakfast was served in a nearby cafe which served excellent pastries and coffee and we loved having breakfast on the terrace outside the cafe writing postcards and watching the world go by.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 September 2008

My 10 year old son and I stayed at Le Gelosie B&B in early July. I decided to stay there after reading such fantastic reviews on Tripadvisor.

Le Gelosie is a delightful place to stay. The rooms are spacious and very clean. The bathrooms are a good size compared to some hotels we stayed in where the showers were tiny.

Breakfast is included and can be had at a lovely little cafe a few steps away from the B&B. Le Gelosie is in a great location and only a short bus ride from the nearest train station.

Andrea, the owner, was very helpful prior to and during our stay in Cortona. If you are after a great tour of Cortona or nearby areas Andrea can organise this for you as well.

Andrea also recommended good places to eat.

We paid 85 euro for the 2 of us per night which I thought was very cheap for such lovely accommodation. The price could be different depending on what time of year you stay.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Le Gelosie B&B as a great, clean, well-priced place to stay.

Their website is www.legelosie.com

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Aussiegirl68