“Great location”

Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Cortona
Bloomington, Indiana
“Great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2007

We booked 4 nights at Hotel Italia for our honeymoon after family members had raved about Cortona. The location is great, just off of Piazza Republicca (about a 30 second walk). Our room was nice, with high ceilings and a huge bathroom (almost the same size as the room itself). We had large windows that opened up onto Via Ghibellina.

Breakfast was basic (coffee, juice, ham, cheese, bread, yogurt, etc) but the view from the breakfast room was incredible. We did not try the wine bar in the evening just because it was a little pricey and the room was dreary (who wants to sit inside when you can sit on the piazza and people watch). The service was friendly and they had no problems arranging for a taxi to take us to the train station when we left.

I would highly recommend Hotel Italia.

Tip: Before arriving, contact the hotel to arrange a taxi to meet you at the train station. Due to flight delays, our train did not arrive until 7:30 PM and there was NO ONE at the train station. Luckily, a German couple took pity on us and offered us a ride to the walls of the old town which was a far as they could go. We still had a long, very steep walk to the hotel.

• Stayed May 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank txjosh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Hungarian first
Reston, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2006

The hotel is a few steps away from the Piazza della Repubblica where life in Cortona happens. The room was modest, but with a great shower and the linens were replaced every day. And the view...

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Front desk not up to speed
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Miami Beach, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2006

While Cortona is a beautiful little medieval town you wouldn't know it if you relied on the staff. And not for lack of asking, which I did, it's just they didn't know the answers to anything. I wanted to rent a scooter to go to Lagoa Trasimeno, a large lake on the border of Tuscany and Umbria. I asked the lady at the front desk by providing her with the flier for the Car rental company what I needed to know/do, and I couldn't believe that I wasted 45 minutes at the reception desk while she phoned the company to inquire about it. What?! Hasn't she been asked this same question a million times and should know the answer by heart? To further illustrate my point, I was waiting, yet again at the reception desk to check in, when I overheard a woman talking to reception about a pool. A pool?!? There is a pool here?? Obviously I wouldn't have known about a brand new built pool in Cortona hadn't I overheard this conversation. Obviously I asked where it was, and was told, "oh just ten minutes that way".

Having been in Italy for 4 days by now, I knew that I would have to ask specific questions about its exact location. On my way to the pool I had to ask more passerby regarding the correct location of this pool. Just so you know, walk towards the bus stop, pass it, stay straight, through the fountain and keep straight, it's a 20> walk, then you see a sign for "piscina", go up the little man made trail, and continue to follow signs. Btw, it costs EUR 8 to get in, EUR 2 for a chair, and if you want to swim it's another EUR 2 for a swim cap which you must use. When I had asked front desk how much was it, they said "oh about EUR 2". Yeah right!

Ok now the hotel. The lobby is spacious, and they have internet available for EUR 5 for 1/2 hour, not bad. I loved the size of my room. There is a large bed, vanity, and a big armoire. My window faced the little garden which contains a table and chairs. No one ever uses it seemed so after a long day I would sit and read a book with a bottle of wine and a Panini.

Two things: the AC wasn't working and all the staff guy did was to shrug his shoulders about it. And the TV had terrible reception. Thankfully I'm not a picky customer so I didn't really care. The bathroom was a little too dark but fine.

The breakfast room in the 5th floor is quite beautiful with city views. The breakfast was ok, nothing to rant and rave at. But there is only 1 elevator and had to wait >10 minutes for it to arrive since the maids also use it in the mornings to lug laundry up and down.
The hotel is fairly priced, not too expensive so I didn't expect any major luxuries. Good location though, right in the heart of town.

• Stayed June 2006
Watkinsville, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2006

We stayed in the Albergo Italia for three nights in early June, and enjoyed our stay very much. Its location just off the main square in Cortona is convenient, and quiet. The breakfast room, as other reviewers have noted, is wonderful, with its spectacular views, and our own room was also spacious, comfortable and clean. The hotel staff were all very helpful, friendly and responsive to requests. We felt very much at home there and definitely would recommend it to others and would return there ourselves.