“Lovely Stay in Cortona, Fabulous Views” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Casa Kita

Casa Kita
Ranked #19 of 42 Cortona B&B and Inns
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Lovely Stay in Cortona, Fabulous Views”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2010

My two night stay at Casa Kita was marvelous, stunning views, friendly, affordable, comfy, immaculately clean, peaceful, welcoming use of kitchen throughout the day/evening. I stayed in the Toscabali room which had incredible views from both the bedroom and the bathroom. The terrace also had a million dollar view. Osvoldo was very helpful with my travel plans. I would recommend Cortona and Casa Kita to everyone visiting Tuscany.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality

USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2009

We just lucked out finding Casa Kita in Cortona . . . It was getting late and we happened upon their sign . . . We walked down the steps, rang the bell, Sylvia answered the door and invited us into her families beautiful home. What a glorious surprise awaited us . . The rooms were perfect . . We had our own wing of the house. There were 3 of us . . I had my own single room and my friends had the double room next door.
But the real treasure here are the people and their over the top fabulous terrace. Sylvia and her family could not have been better host. Each evening, they would suggest a local restaurant and then made a reservation for us. Every restaurant was better than the one the night before. Each morning we'd enjoy our breakfast on their terrace looking out over the valley . . it was breath taking. Then each evening, after a day of sightseeing, we have a glass of wine and watch the sunset over the valley before going to dinner. A trip to Italy would not be complete without spending 3 or 4 nights in Cortona. In Italy, Tuscany is the place to be and Casa Kita is the place to stay.

Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
Denver, CO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2009

Positives:

The rooms, location and view for this b&b were fantastic! We arrived and opened our windows which looked out over a stunning Tuscan countryside. The patio where you eat your breakfast has a view that rivals any restaurant in Cortona which was great for a bottle of wine at the end of the day as well.

The price is fantastic for the view, charm and the quality of the rooms.

Negatives:

Make no mistake the walls are paper thin and unfortunately our window looked right out over the patio which was great for the view but bad if anyone was out there. At about 3 am both nights we stayed, the other guests came back from the bars and started drinking and talking out on the patio. It was impossible to sleep. They then puked in there room next to ours which you could hear clear as day. Every footstep was as if they were in our room as well.

The breakfast is packaged croissants and instant cappuccino which wasn't all that great. I like both of those for breakfast, especially since it is what the locals eat but not instant and not something you could get at a gas station. We had the exact breakfast at the place we stayed before this in Rome and the fresh cappuccino and croissants there far exceeded Casa Kita's. However for the price we payed to stay at Casa Kita I wasn't complaining. You definitely get what you pay for.

Ladies if you are anything like my new wife you love your hairdryer. If you want a hairdryer then this probably isn't the place for you. They had one in our room but it only stayed on for about 30 seconds. It then puttered out and you had to wait 3 or 4 minutes for it to come back on. Not a terribly big issue but just something to be aware of. They may work in other rooms just not in the one we had.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2008

This is a small charming B&B (without the second "B" basically though!!) They have several rooms to rent and ours (2 best friends) was a room with two single beds, and a very nice, updated and modern bathroom. It looked to me that this room was specifically designed for two children (noticing the Disney-type comforter!). It was very clean, had a fabulous view over Cortona, was absolutely quiet and peaceful (we never slept better) and was perfect for our needs.

The B&B is run by a young woman, Sylvia, who could not have been more helpful and sweet. I believe it is her father who is also around and lives in a sectioned-off area of the B&B, while Sylvia and her grandmother seem to live downstairs and off to the side. Someone was usually available when needed, and we were kindly helped with directions we needed to a local shop. There is a communal kitchen for guest's use with coffee/tea making facilities, some crackers and munchies available, a frig for keeping whatever you like. There is a beautiful large deck/balcony right off the kitchen which would have been fabulous for use during the summer months. In November it was too cold for that.

We paid 60 Euros per night for the two of us, in cash and up front as was their request at the time of reservation.

The B&B is located at the beginning of a street that runs up to a square that marks the entrance to the main pedestrian street, and, therefore, very convenient for evening strolls, dinner, etc. Cortona is VERY steep and hilly and the entrance from the street down to this B&B entails many somewhat perilous and steep steps. Parking is available for free at the lower level of the town, and there is an amazing and convenient outdoor escalator that runs almost from the parking lot up to the level of the B&B. A few stairs gets you to the entrance. We dropped off our luggage, drove the short drive down to the lot, left our car and rode the escalator and a few steps back up to our room.

I would surely recommend for clean budget accomodations.

• Liked — Clean, Central, Quiet, Helpful Owners
  • Disliked — Very steep steps
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Check-in / front desk
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2008

I found Casa Kita's website when doing a google search for hotels in Cortona. I received prompt e-mail replies in return to my emailed questions and easily created my reservation.
My mother and I stayed at Casa Kita at the end of April 2008. We took a taxi from the train station to Casa Kita. The driver knew exactly where it was located by it’s name. The woman who helped us when we arrived was very kind, though it was a bit difficult to understand her at times. She made her best attempt to assist us in finding a place to eat for the evening and explaining how to get to the town square. The center of town is only a few minutes walk from the guest house.
We enjoyed staying at Casa Kita. We had a king bed in a nicely furnished room and a bathroom as well. If we opened the window, we were able to see a breathtaking view of Cortona from the room.
The only thing we had a difficult time with (though it had nothing to do with Casa Kita specifically) was the fact that many store owners and locals visiting the stores would make comments about us being “Americano,” when we walked in the stores. This happened several times during our stay and could be a bit unnerving when people stared.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2008
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2007

Casa Kita is a guesthouse in Cortona, Italy. My husband and I contacted the owner, Osvaldo, directly after being directed to their website by Cortona's official website as a recommended accommodation. I received a very prompt reply in perfect English, and we negotiated the dates of stay and rates. I was able to secure a slightly better rate by extending my stay one night. Osvaldo provided great directions and was very helpful over our email conversations. Our rate included taxes, heating, water use, and one day of cleaning service.
We arrived in Cortona and had a little bit of difficulty finding Casa Kita but once we got our bearings we found it. Rang the bell and an elderly woman answered the door, she spoke no English whatsoever and hand gestures didn't get us too far. A few moments later Osvaldo arrived and much to my surprise, he also did not speak any English. Since he had been responding to my emails in flawless English I was expecting the same in person. Once we got our hand gestures figured out and exchanged keys and cash, we were all set.
The room was very clean and good sized with a king bed, armoire, desk, television and nightstands. The bathroom was also very clean and included a hair dryer as well as several towels and shampoos, etc. The view from our room was amazing, overlooking the valley below with panoramic views of the Tuscan countryside. Osvaldo and the older woman, who I assumed was maybe his mother, live on the second floor of the home but we never really heard any noise from up there. The location of the guesthouse could not be any better, it is located off the main street and is just steps from Via Nazionale but it is very quiet which can be nice at night.
There were only two complaints I had about our stay: the first is that there was a down comforter on the bed but it did not have a duvet cover on it and there was some minor staining. Which was all in sharp contrast to the overall cleanliness of the entire space. The second is that Osvaldo has a dog, a large German Shephard who started barking right outside our window every morning no later than 8am. We were usually up by then but I would prefer not to have my morning disturbed by the doggy.
Overall we very much enjoyed our stay at Casa Kita and I would highly recommend it for budget travelers who enjoy privacy and want a homey place to stay. Bear in mind when making your reservation that Osvaldo signs the emails but it is his business partner Gusmang who answers English-speaking emails, so it is best to brush up on your Italian in advance of your arrival. Happy travels and enjoy your stay in Tuscany!

• Liked — Location and cost
  • Disliked — Barking dog
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Check-in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)