“Comparatively, a good place to stay even if it is a pricier hostel as adding more could get you a single room elsewhere but qual”
Review of Academy Hostel

Academy Hostel
Ranked #27 of 300 Speciality Lodging in Florence
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Although the hostel overall is good, the breakfast could be better but I've had far worse and cereal is good and cheap beers in vending machines €1+.
Nice rooms, no bunks, high ceilings, private shared bath, church bells to wake you up.
During check in i hopefully requested for quiet room away from noise and was assured by reception it was. Woke up to construction right outside my window. If not it's the regular church bells nearby or the stomping of feet coming down the stairs directly next to the room, or even the buzzing of the doorbell from people coming in.
Other hostel mate said there were bites on her body, I'm guessing bed bugs. But the location of the hostel is very close to duomo.

• Stayed November 2013
Academyhostel, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Academy Hostel, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
We usually fulfill the request of our guests so I'm sure that the staff made the best to give you a quiet room, obviously in the respect of other guests and of their reservation. I mean, this is an hostel and we do not have 350 rooms, you are buying a bed and in a dormitory room and we do not have first class rooms and second class rooms, some rooms are closer to the street but no cars passes around this building so even that are not noisy, I can say that the rooms are all quiet and you should understand that we cannot be responsible if the guy upstairs walk around at night or if in the week you were here neighbors decided to do up the bathroom. We can only make sure that they do not start making noise until 9am, and I'm sure we did. We are 2 steps away from the Duomo di Firenze, which is the most important building in town, and is one of the symbol of Florence. Actually we are really proud that you can hear the bell from the hostel, and normally our guests appreciate it as an honor, but "de gustibus non disputandum est". Then I should ask , what we made you ? It is extremely un-respectful to assume your roommate had bed bugs, I’m hundred percent sure they were mosquitos , this is the worst thing you can write in a review, we never had this kind of problem in our hostel,( you could check it in our over 3000reviews around the web) and I should say that this hostel was made to avoid that problem(no wood in the beds structure, anti-bed bugs mattresses, daily cleaning, and lot of control) and we are proud we never had it.
If you didn't liked your stay here it is ok, we cannot be good for everybody, but if you are not sure of what you are writing, please do not do it, do not spit on people's hard work just because of your personal guesses.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 9 December 2013

The best hostel I`ve been, I went by myself and they were very helpful, they explained me how to get to all the places that I wanted to visit, the bathrooms had shampoo and soap, thay had towels, the staff was really nice, the breakfast had FRUIT!! besides the usual bread, jelly, milk, cereal, etc. They even gave us pasta and wine one day in the afternoon

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 9 December 2013

One of the best. Everything was superb, location, service, security, comfort, atmosphere. The service was outstanding, no request too much, not only friendly but extremely helpful.Use this as a training hostel for others, they can work here for a month to learn what service looks like.

The lockout in the early afternoon can be a problem.

Recommended highly, anytime for any traveler

Room Tip: I always like to get a single
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo

Goettingen, Germany
Reviewed 9 December 2013

A clean and tidy hostel with a really nice staff called Keisi! A friendly receptionist means a lot in one's journey!
And I like the vending machine, comfortable sofas and bar which make things convenient.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo

1 Thank C C
Lulea, Sweden
Reviewed 9 December 2013

This is an amazing hostel. It is not only the great location or how clean is everything. It is about the quality of their attention. My flight leaving Florence was cancelled and even before I was able to fin alternatives to this problem, the staff was quick to offer me support and assistance to solve this problem. When visiting Florence, this is the place to stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo

1 Thank Sergio M
chengdu
Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

nice receptionist with beautiful smile. modern decoration in triditional building. offer wine and simply food about 6:30pm, it saves me because I m hungry after 9hrs in train. bathroom with enough space and facilities, very clean. It is a warm place to stay. Hi, strong recommendation for you guys.

2 Thank maysunnyday
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 6 December 2013

This place was the best hostel we have ever stayed in and I’m not remotely surprised that they were voted the best small hostel in the world! You can tell that the owner and the staff have really gone above and beyond to make sure Academy has all the best things about hostels. It has the best atmosphere of any hostel we have stayed in, the breakfast was awesome and the rooms are spacious and funky. However, the real highlight of our stay was the free drinks and nibbles (apertivio?) each night. The wine was plentiful and the food delicious! It meant there were always people in the common area to chat to and swap stories with. The only thing we disliked was that the hostel closed for a couple of hours in the middle of the day and that there was no wifi in the rooms, however it meant that people didn’t just hangout in the rooms. This place was wicked and I would recommend to anyone visiting Florence.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends