“Fantastic”
Review of Academy Hostel

Academy Hostel
Ranked #32 of 317 Speciality Lodging in Florence
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Great place to stay, it is right in the center of Florence. There are no bunk beds which is a major bonus. At 6:30pm each night they offer free red wine and a snack for everyone in the hostel to meet. The staff are friendly and very helpful. Would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 10 December 2013

I was there for 2 nights.
It is perfect location to go around the city.
and the room and facilities are clean and nice.
The breakfast is just basic. not bad.

when i arrived at hostel, it is a little bit early to check-in. but I could leave my baggage and went out for lunch.
But some of staffs are not kind and helpful.
They did not listen to my words and wanted to keep talking to me what I did not ask.
Even though I was talking to them about something, they tried to keep talking, ignoring me.

And If you have a plan to go this hostel in winter, you should endure the cold.
One of roommates got a cold during her stay at this hostel.
And she asked the staff to make the temperature higher. But still cold.
The staff rasied only 1 degree.
And some had to wear their coat when they were sleeping.
It was most freezing hostel during my long trip in EU.
If I go to Firenze again, I will stay at other hostel. not here.

1  Thank Gogo J
Academyhostel, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Academy Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

We usually accept guests comments as part of their personal experience, so although all the staff is known to be friendly and polite with customers, I want to make clear that is not my intention to point out what you said about our staff, because it is your personal point of view and we respect it.

By the way, I should clarify that we cannot accept that you define our hostel as the coldest in Eu.
Our temperature is central controlled and it is always between 18° and 22° Celsius, in accord to the Italian Law.
Here's the rules we should follow in terms of heating:

Article 4 of Presidential Decree No 26/08/1993 412
provides that, during the ignition, the average air temperature in different environments every single unit housing should not exceed 20 degrees Celsius with a tolerance of up to two point, and ‘therefore possible’ excursion between 18 and 22 degrees.
In building used for activities in ‘industry’, however,
the norm and 18 degrees, with possibility of excursion between 16and 20 degrees.

In the respect of the Law and of the planet Earth I hope that 21° C is not considered cold all over the world.

Reviewed 10 December 2013

The hostel is very clean and tidy, I liked very much the kitchen and the rooms. The breakfast is good, had fruit, cereals, two kinds of juice, bread. The location is super.
You can also use a computer to connect to Internet, There are a WIFI, but, the signal of wifi in the room that i stayed is very poor, so I couldn't connect, only outside the room

Reviewed 9 December 2013

Although the hostel overall is good, the breakfast could be better but I've had far worse and cereal is good and cheap beers in vending machines €1+.
Nice rooms, no bunks, high ceilings, private shared bath, church bells to wake you up.
During check in i hopefully requested for quiet room away from noise and was assured by reception it was. Woke up to construction right outside my window. If not it's the regular church bells nearby or the stomping of feet coming down the stairs directly next to the room, or even the buzzing of the doorbell from people coming in.
Other hostel mate said there were bites on her body, I'm guessing bed bugs. But the location of the hostel is very close to duomo.

• Stayed: November 2013
Academyhostel, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Academy Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

We usually fulfill the request of our guests so I'm sure that the staff made the best to give you a quiet room, obviously in the respect of other guests and of their reservation. I mean, this is an hostel and we do not have 350 rooms, you are buying a bed and in a dormitory room and we do not have first class rooms and second class rooms, some rooms are closer to the street but no cars passes around this building so even that are not noisy, I can say that the rooms are all quiet and you should understand that we cannot be responsible if the guy upstairs walk around at night or if in the week you were here neighbors decided to do up the bathroom. We can only make sure that they do not start making noise until 9am, and I'm sure we did. We are 2 steps away from the Duomo di Firenze, which is the most important building in town, and is one of the symbol of Florence. Actually we are really proud that you can hear the bell from the hostel, and normally our guests appreciate it as an honor, but "de gustibus non disputandum est". Then I should ask , what we made you ? It is extremely un-respectful to assume your roommate had bed bugs, I’m hundred percent sure they were mosquitos , this is the worst thing you can write in a review, we never had this kind of problem in our hostel,( you could check it in our over 3000reviews around the web) and I should say that this hostel was made to avoid that problem(no wood in the beds structure, anti-bed bugs mattresses, daily cleaning, and lot of control) and we are proud we never had it.
If you didn't liked your stay here it is ok, we cannot be good for everybody, but if you are not sure of what you are writing, please do not do it, do not spit on people's hard work just because of your personal guesses.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

The best hostel I`ve been, I went by myself and they were very helpful, they explained me how to get to all the places that I wanted to visit, the bathrooms had shampoo and soap, thay had towels, the staff was really nice, the breakfast had FRUIT!! besides the usual bread, jelly, milk, cereal, etc. They even gave us pasta and wine one day in the afternoon

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 December 2013

One of the best. Everything was superb, location, service, security, comfort, atmosphere. The service was outstanding, no request too much, not only friendly but extremely helpful.Use this as a training hostel for others, they can work here for a month to learn what service looks like.

The lockout in the early afternoon can be a problem.

Recommended highly, anytime for any traveler

Room Tip: I always like to get a single