“Unexciting menu and food”
Review of Del Fagioli

Del Fagioli
Ranked #128 of 2,850 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Santa Croce
Reviewed 25 June 2014

So So. I think the draw is that Del Fagioli offers very traditional fare and environment. Basically it's meat and pasta. Very basic; don't look for innovation. Literally, I ordered the special stuffed meatballs, and received pretty underwhelming, somewhat dry meatballs and potatoes. I'm still waiting to taste whatever was stuffed inside. The ambiance is masculine asthetic, the biggest draw is interesting art on the wall in the front room. Service was friendly enough but we would have done much better at a more contemporary restaurant. Considering that they only accept cash, there are 100 other places I would try first before returning. We had children and grandparents with us.

1  Thank brainman64
Write a ReviewReviews (1,265)

Reviewed 22 June 2014

It's a bit of a toss up between which florentine steak we liked more, the one at Fagioli or Sostanza (see my other review). I would say that they were both absolutely delicious, but if you want a roomier restaurant with better decor/ambience, then go for Fagioli. The service is a bit slow as the restaurant is very busy, but the waiters were nice when they finally make their way to your table and I thought it was worth the wait as everything was absolutely delicious (we also ordered the pasta which had great sauce and was perfectly cooked). Definitely don't miss the steak here. Only warning is that this place only takes cash!!

Reviewed 19 June 2014

For a start, the servers glared at you when you entered the restaurant, as if daring you to enter to add more work for them.

Recommendations by the server was unimpressive. Nothing that you can't get at touristy spots. Not worth the trip.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Writing this on the last day of our Italy trip, and it will be the first of many reviews of places we ate and stayed during our 2-week trip. We ate last night at Del Fagioli and it was a fantastic meal and experience. We showed up 25 minutes late for our reservation because we could not catch a cab, I guess because of a big Fashion Week event.

We -- wife, 2 kids aged 12 and 9 -- expected our table to have been given away, but we were seated right away. It did take a few minutes to get a menu, but the waiters were already heavily into serving others, and I was just happy to have a seat.

From that point forward it was a tremendous meal. We had the sopprasetta and pecorino and bread salad to start. Both were excellent. My daughter, a fairly picky eater, got the tortelli with ricotta and lemon. The owner, I believe, waited on us primarily, and figured she might prefer a "smooth" sauce, so he asked if we wanted the "pomodoro presada (sp?)," which was definitely what she would prefer. My wife, son, and ordered the Bistecca, with fresh white beans and green beans.

Everything was fantastic. The steak lived up to its reputation. Seared perfectly with a nice strip of rare red through the middle. It probably was the best steak I've ever had and we did not finish it, which was a serious shame. My daughter really enjoyed her pasta dish, which I tasted and it was indeed very good. The fresh white beans, drizzled with olive oil, were perfect, and the green beans -- large beans cut and stewed with tomatoes -- were also super flavorful. Both complimented the meat very well.

For desert, my wife and I had some vin santo and the ricotta cake with pear and chocolate -- again, another winner.

Going in, I was a bit skeptical, given some very recent mediocre reviews. In no way was Del Fagioli a tourist trap -- in the front room at least, we were the only nonlocals. We were seated at a long table and I talked with two gentleman who were seated as part of a group of 5 at the other end of the table. They teach architecture at a university in Florence and spoke English fairly well. One of the men asked how I heard of the restaurant, because it is primarily for locals, although he clearly was not aware of the reputation it's gained online. They were very nice and the conversation really added to the meal.

Overall, this was a great meal, equal to or slightly better than the one other that really sticks out from our trip, at Osteria del' grappolo d'oro in Rome.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I'm not sure what people in Europe consider good food but if you are from the states do not expect too much. To start off they took every order except for ours (like did a 360 around our area and took ours very last). I let that roll of my back after a glass of wine but then came the food. I had a rolled beef main course as well as the potatoes with meatballs. The rolled beef tasted like ham with packaged tuna inside covered in bag mix gravy. The meatballs tasted like something you would expect from an Italian fast food joint if there were such a thing. To top it off the asparagus they served us with the main courses was cold and bland. It cost me 60€ so about 80$ on the American side. I hope so many people read this so I can save you the trouble and waste of time/money that I just went through. Beware of Italy. .they are nice but you are a tourist and they will not hesitate to pull a fast one

1  Thank sup3rmanfan