“Classic Tuscan treasure”

Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Santa Maria Novella
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

The food here is extraordinary, even if mildly overpriced. The atmosphere is great and the service is very personal. We had a great time trying types of Italian cuisine we had never ventured. It was recommended to us by many sites and locals and I would like to recommend it as well. Bon apetit!

Reviewed 25 April 2014

After such great reviews we were excited to dine at Il Profeta but left annoyed and disappointed even though majority of the food was well executed and tasty. We were seated in the back room, which is not as attractive as the main dining room, and suffered thru the "scripted" presentation from the waiter...who said the same exact thing to the tables seated on either side of us regarding the menu and the story of John Travolta loving the 29Euro pasta on the menu so much that he licked the plate. Word for word the same in all cases. This is also the first time we have ever been denied a wine list by the waiter...he told us "I cannot give you the list until I know what you are having and then I will tell you what to drink".

Honestly, we are world travelers and foodies and this is the first time we have ever encountered this type of behavior. Maybe lost in translation? On a positive note, my husband had the sea bass which was spectacular and pricey...my food was not so great pasta primavera and another course of asparagus with parmesan.

Location very convenient to the Westin and St. Regis hotels and I think 75% of the guests in the restaurant were sent by concierge at hotels...

Avoid being seated in the back room and you may have a better experience and a different waiter.

1  Thank ingridcary
Reviewed 17 April 2014

After living in Florence and studying food and wine at Apicius International school of hospitality .. I can honestly say the best italian food in Florence I have ever had. A wonderful experience, the owner makes you feel like family. Him and his wife both work there and will cater to your every need!

The meal is absolutely beautiful and the price is very reasonable for how well they treat you and how wonderful the food tastes!

I would recommend this place to anyone who lives in Florence or is visiting!

Reviewed 17 April 2014

We tried Il Profeta last night on our tourguide's recommendation (after checking Tripadvisor, of course). It is most definitely a place where you will find mostly tourists, and they know how to make you feel welcome.

The restaurant gave us bruschetta as a starter, and to taste their "award winning" olive oil. It was quite good, and a ni eway to start. We had appetizers of primavera (homemade fetuccini with vegetables in a light cream sauce) and the antipasti (a selection of hot hors d'ouvres) followed by main courses of eggplant in marinara with fresh cheese and their house special (29 Euro for about 12 pieces of ravioli size pasta in an absolutely delicious pink cream sauce - worth it to me, but you have to judge for yourself).

The house chianti was fine - we didn't feel the need to spend 35 Euro for a bottle of Super Tuscan. We shared the tiramisu for dessert - excellent. They provided two biscotti and glasses of sweet wine for dunking with the bill (a little over 100 Euro including seating and service charges - there is no tipping in Italy unless service is exceptional).

The service was quite good - the owner is particularly charming and speaks several languages fluently. You will hear the same anecdotes and pleasantries repeated at every table by the waiters - part of the training on how to deal with tourists, I guess.

Overall, we would recommend the restaurant for a nice evening out - not too fancy, just very comfortable.

2  Thank RichandBarbara
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Enjoyable experience, struck up warm conversation with fellow diner at next table, had fabulous home made pasta with wild boar. Started with mozzarella and anchovies crostini with olive chopped liver. Nozolle Chiant house wine v good too. Went for lunch. Offered complimentary vino santo at end of the meal. Even met their Golden Retriever Romeo! Came into restaurant to dine alone, left feeling like I had a family meal.