“Good location, clean and friendly”
Review of Mary's House

Mary's House
Ranked #526 of 661 Florence B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Basic, clean, towel, toilet roll. Single room shared bathroom, sink in room. Good location, 5 minutes from SMN train, close walk to all main attractions. Mary gives map showing all sights and nearby supermarket. Good fast free wifi in room. Always carry earplugs!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 17 April 2013

I have nothing bad to say about this one. Check out was at 10 AM, but they let us keep our bags in the office till our train later that night, which was super convenient! The wifi worked well, and there was no curfew or anything. The manager helped us out a lot with directions and suggestions too!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 January 2013

We stayed for two nights in November & I'm still not sure what to make of this place.

We had a room that backed onto the mangers office, and they had basically pinned a sheet over a hole in the wall that clearly used to be a doorway, so it wasn't so great clearly hearing the people in the office whenever we were in the room, & knowing they could hear us!

Sometimes when we would leave the room, the guy that checked us in would just be sitting in a dark room directly opposite our room staring at nothing, then turn to us & stare. Pretty weird & creepy!

I wouldn't think twice about booking somewhere else next time I'm in Florence.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank cruseclues
Reviewed 27 November 2012

I stayed here with my frd whose wallet was stolen in Venice.
The manager helped us a lots, showing us how to get to the police stations, the embassy, ...etc
She is very nice and helpful!!!
The room is clean and neat!!
But bear in mind you have to carry your luggage, go up for 3-floor stairs.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 November 2012

Here is nearest from central stacion.
The staff so friendly and helpful. No discriminacion.
When you arrive there, you can hear every directions central of Florence.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Yes: -good location just 5 mins from the station (to find it easily, just look for the Montreal hotel) there would be a small tiny writing " Mary's House"
-room was cleaned every day
-private bathroom
-Mary gave us a map and showed main attractions
-price is reasonable
-refrigirator

No's:
- you need to climb to the second floor with no elevator. We were two ladies with quite large suitcases. And if in the beginning when we were moving in, someone helped us, we were all by ourselves when we were checking out
-even though there was an air conditioner, the control was no where to be found
-there was no safe to leave the things
-no breakfast facilities, which turned out for the best as we found this place right near the hotel called Tira Baralla, not so open for breakfast, but had been there several times for lunch and dinner-beautiful!

In general so far not the nicest hotels we've stayed in Italy
But we have 2 more weeks to explore, and everything in comparison...

For a bidget stay its good, just MIND THE STAIRS!!!

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Natalya Z
Reviewed 2 September 2012

Mary's House is a very conveniently located guesthouse in Florence, just 200m away from the main train station and about 5-10mins from the city centre. I did a bit of research beforehand and for the price, it seemed very reasonable.

So for the beginning of my 5 night stay, I exited the train and followed their very clear instructions to the front of the guesthouse. It's two floors up with no lift in case you need to know. Mary greeted me very courteously, gave me a map of the area and showed me to my room, a no frills single room with shared bathroom.

So first impressions is that Mary's House is less a house, and more 'Mary's Rooms'. The words basic and spartan come to mind when describing the place. There's a lack of decor...personality is probably a better word...and whilst the bed was clean and air con was free, wifi was intermittent, the shared bathroom lacked mirrors, and the towel was not quite a hand towel, nor a full towel. That might sound all very negative, but I think you have to consider the price and location before judging too harshly. I can't fault it per se, just that there's certain things I think they could do to elevate the place to above average.

One last comment - Mary I don't think was too keen with me leaving the air con on in my room when I went out during the day. Even though I put the 'Do not disturb' sign on my door, I would come back to find the bed made and the aircon off, even though I wanted to come back to a cool room after a day out in the sun. Ok...fine. On my last day, with a checkout of 10am, I left early in the morning round 8am to grab some breakfast. I came back half an hour later to find my aircon was off and the control missing. Obviously Mary had entered my room and taken the remote back, even though I was still packing. I did feel this was slightly intrusive and was a poor final impression, which is reflected in my rating. If it hadn't been for this it would have been three stars.

Room Tip: It's not an extremely busy street, but ask for an internal room if you're a light sleeper.