“Good location; great staff; smoky rooms, but otherwise nice place to stay”

Hotel Palazzo Benci
Ranked #275 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Monterey, California
“Good location; great staff; smoky rooms, but otherwise nice place to stay”
Reviewed 28 October 2010

The best thing about this hotel is its location, as it's close to everything. Andrea at the front desk was extremely helpful and welcoming. I reserved a room for one night, but ended up staying 2, at the same price as I was quoted online. The (single) rooms are small, but that is to be expected. The breakfast was good and generous. The beds and pillows are very hard, so if you need a soft pillow, bring your own. I had an issue with the smoke-smelling room I was first given (over the street, so when I opened the windows it was quite loud), so I called downstairs to ask for a non-smoking room. Andrea moved me to another room on the same (third) floor, which also smelled of smoke (it even had an ashtray!), but the windows opened over the quiet courtyard, so I opened them to air out the room, and stayed. Other than the smokiness, the rooms are very clean. They offer free wi-fi in the lobby, which was really useful. They have an elevator, which is evidently a big advantage over some of their competitors. They graciously stored my bags for me after checkout while I wandered the town before my departure. Overall, I enjoyed my stay and would return to this hotel next time I'm in Florence. Traveler tip: if you plan to visit the Uffizi, make sure to make reservations (online before you go, or Andrea will do this for you if you forget).

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank CWatson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2010

I stayed 4 nights in a larger that average single room, overlooking the piazza. Double glazing meant that it was not as noisy as one might expect, and looking out onto a great tourist attraction, the Medici Cappelle, was a real bonus. It's about 10 minutes walk from the station and the Duomo, and easy walking distance of all the major attractions, with a wide range of cheapish places to eat near by. The welcome was warm but not over-powering, the breakfast was more varied than many I've had in Italy, including a good quality muesli, and the room was immaculate clean. If, or rather when, I return to Florence, I'll definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
Saintfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2010

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights, I had spent ages looking for a hotel before we went and wasn't sure what to expect as there were so many to choose from and this one didnt have many reviews. We were pleasantly suprised as this hotel is in a really good location within walking distance to everything. The staff were very friendly and reccomended some good places for us to eat.
The breakfast was good but if you go down too late they seem to run out of croissants.
Would definately go back here if we return to Florence!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
England
Reviewed 26 September 2010

We recently stayed at this hotel after moving from another hotel that was not suitable for a wheelchair user in our party. Tim, on reception, was incredibly helpful with any requests or information we needed during the course of our stay, as were all the other reception staff. The "L" shaped room we had was a little cramped but adequate as we were only in it to sleep. The upstairs lounge area was nicely furnished with blue sofas and a television. Breakfast food was a little disappointing but the waiting-on staff were always happy and smiling which more than made up for that.

I would definately recommend this hotel as a delightful hotel to stay in the center of Florence!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
Ospedaletti, Italy
Reviewed 25 September 2010

My husband and I made a spur of the moment trip to Florence and arrived with no hotel reservations, but the gods smiled on us and we wandered into the lobby of the Hotel Palazzo Benci and snagged the last available room.

The room was not super-fancy (two twin beds, ordinary curtains and wall hangings, etc.) but who goes to Florence to hang out in their room anyway . . . what was important and valuable to us was a) the fantastic location, two blocks from the Duomo and walking distance to everything we wanted to see, including sights on the other side of the river; b) wonderful dining and touring advice from the staff, who suggested restaurants that did NOT have English menus and were therefore not run-of-the-mill tourist traps and the church of San Miniato, which was gorgeous and involved enough climbing to later justify a larger than usual serving of gelato; and c) peace and quiet. The room we stayed in overlooked bustling pedestrian Via Faenza, but thanks to double windows, we did not hear a thing from the street.

Made it to breakfast only one day, but the breakfast room was staffed by the most visibly contented woman, whose calm presence set a great tone for the day. Breakfast was continental and offered more than enough fruit, pastry and yogurt to last us until lunch.

The courtyard is charming, and the lounge quite nice too. Free WiFi was a bonus.

Would definitely stay there again. Terrific luck to stumble into it.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Melanie E
London
Reviewed 23 August 2010

We stumbled across this hotel after our first one was atrocious. Even without a booking we were told to return the next day and thankfully a room was available for us.
The staff are welcoming and friendly, the rooms are spacious, the TV offers a wide variety of languages, the lounge/bar and outside courtyard are perfect places to relax after a long day's sightseeing.
Amazing location with the breakfast room looking out onto the San Lorenzo Chapel, a few minutes away from the train station and a short walk away is Santa Maria del Fiore. It's also right next to the outdoor markets and many restaurants are close by.

We only stayed here for five nights but it was the best hotel stay we've had and we've recommended it to all our friends and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Portland
Reviewed 9 June 2010

Our original hotel sent us here with apologies but we were happy to move! The lobby was welcoming, staff spoke excellent English, there was an elevator, the rooms were clean and pretty, the bathroom was big with a bathtub and shower and the breakfast was very good, especially the coffee. The location is right next to the Medici Chapel and is convenient to the Duomo and walkable to everything else. Really, this place seems undiscovered by Americans, mostly Italians and other Brits were there, but I could see no down sides to this hotel. One more plus: TV with CNN and BBC. One final plus: The staff made a point of asking us if we wanted a dinner recommendation and when we said yes, made us a reservation for a place that turned out to be excellent.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends