“Wonderful dining experience”

Ranked #239 of 2,704 Restaurants in Florence
Price range: US$10 - US$17
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Santa Maria Novella
Houston, Texas
“Wonderful dining experience”
Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

My fiance and I went here based on all the great reviews. It was so wonderful! It was full when we arrived and saw a table leaving. They turned it in less than 30 seconds and we were sitting! We enjoyed being the only tourists there that night!

• Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Auckland, New Zealand
“Why would you go anywhere else in Florence?!”
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I'e reviewed Trattoria il Contadino on previous visits, but I feel that they deserve an updated review. On this visit I've had two weeks in Florence accompanied by my 18yo daughter. We came here several times during our stay. We did feel that we had to try other restaurants, but as my daughter said after every one of these meals "I can't wait to go back to OUR place" (meaning Contadino).
The fare is simple, on a limited blackboard menu but I have never had a bad dish. Each course is well sized so you can enjoy two courses (and even a Dolce) and the house wine is most acceptable (even at a much higher price it would stand up to a number of the house wines at other places).
The family who run it are so passionate about what they do: they tell me that Papa has been here since 1974, doing the same thing. Don't think that E13.50 fixed price menu will mean average food: this is excellent (albeit simple local recipes). The roast rabbit is particularly good, and the pastas are all great.

• Visited November 2013
Darlinghurst
“Yummy food in Florence”
Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

Went here tonight for dinner. They had a set menu cost where you picked a entree and main from a range of choices. I got spicy tomato pasta and beef for main and wifey got soup and rabbit for main. We opted for a desert each as well and the total came to 35euro.

Was freaking delicious! Go here!

McHenry, Illinois
“Lovely Local Ristorante”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

When I came to Florence in 1994 I ate here with my soon to be husband who I had also met in Florence. We had a wonderful reunion with Walter, the owner, and enjoyed the fixed menu which included swordfish and gnocchi. We ended the meal with cantucci and vin santo. My husband who used to live in the neighborhood was happy to see Walter's children, now grown, taking over the restaurant.

• Visited November 2013
“Incredible gnocchi, lovely atmosphere & service”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Truthfully I don't remember much else of what we ate here (though it was good and very reasonably priced) but what I will always remember is the gnocchi. It was one of the the most delicious things throughout our travels in Italy: think cream, truffles, onion, bacon. If you like that kind of thing, you HAVE to try this place.

Other note: very nice wait staff, spoke good English and were very helpful and the B&B (Tre Gigli) upstairs was also delightful (booked through AirBnB).

• Visited September 2013