“The best stay ever.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #57 of 295 Speciality Lodging in Florence
Lutherville Timonium, Maryland
“The best stay ever.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2011

this is my 4th trip to Firenze but I never stayed in an apartment. I will never stay in another hotel. Clara was always around to help suggest places to eat and to make us reservations for eating and museums. the neighborhood was fabulous, never had to leave it for delicious and reasonably priced meals. Everything was either an easy walk or a bus ride. the bus stop is with 1-2 blocks from the apartment. there are also grocery stores and a wine store that lets you bring in an empty bottle and they will fill it with your choice of very good local wine for a fraction of the cost at a regular store. I would definately return here on my next trip to Firenze. thank you Clara for a truely memorable stay.

Room Tip: we stayed in the Maria, large bathroom, comfortable bed.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Alicante, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2011

This is my second time staying at the Poggio Imperiale apartments. Clara, the owner, was very warm and extremely helpful with suggestions for what to see, do and where to eat. We arrived late in the evening and Clara was waiting for us with a smile and treated us like family. The apartment is right in front of the Porto Romano wall and a short walk (15 min) to the Ponte Vecchio. We had our morning coffee around the corner at Cafe Romano and ate at several neighborhood trattorias which were reasonable and very tasty. We were able to park our car in the garage around the block which was great since the center of Florence is off limits to cars. The bus lines were right in front of the Porto Romano too. Although we didn't make it this trip, the Boboli Gardens were only a stones throw from the apartment and is on our list to see next time. The apartment was clean and fully furnished. We cooked dinner for ourselves one night. There are several small coops and butchers nearby which had everything we needed. I would definitely stay here again and would highly recommend these apartments. Great value, great location and lovely people.

Room Tip: 9 apartments and all of them are fabulous. No bad choices. All have air conditioning and heating.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2011

I lived at Poggio Imperiale for 3 months while attending Polimoda Fashion Institute. For my student visa application I needed proof of accommodations in Florence and CLARA helped me with this (she was a total angel!) She sent me a letter to confirm my place of residence....made the process less stressful for me! The apartments are very "Italian" and I absolutely loved it! The building was nice and the neighborhood was very clean and quiet. Best part about living at Poggio Imperiale was their laundry room. FREE LAUNDRY!! And they have dryers, which is very rare for Italy. Overall, I had a pleasant time during my entire stay at Poggio Imperiale. Highly recommend this place for Polimoda and as well as other International Students.

Room Tip: For international students, they should contact Clara for assisting in accommodations. Stay for a mi...
  • Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank The_Mimi_Amore
Plainsboro, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2011

Good points-
• Clare, part of the sister/brother that runs this 10 apt. building, is absolutely wonderful – she’s friendly, helpful, and is quick to answer e-mails about general questions and problems. Shortly after checking in, I asked for a remote control for the TV. There wasn’t one, so she replaced the TV with a brand new flat screen. How’s that for service!
• The WI-FI Internet is free and works great!
• The apartments are so classically Italian – thick walls, real brick floors, old time pic’s on the walls, etc. This is the “movie set” you want to stay at for your Italian vacation.
• There are free laundry machines – including soap too.
• There’s a desk with lots of information about the city, tours, and the surrounding area.
• The building is in a perfect area – close enough to the historical area to walk to everything, yet far enough to be away from the tourist honky tonk and noise.
• Everything you need is in the immediate area – supermarket, smaller grocery shops, a great gelato shop, coffee places, really good restaurants that locals go to, etc. Heck, I even found a watch repair place right down the street.
• A Hop-On/Hop Off bus stop (for both companies) is just a few minute walk away.
• The bus stop for a day trip to Siena is only a few minutes away too.
• The whole building and patio is very well kept up.
• I brought the wrong electrical adapter and they lent me one to use – it was much appreciated!
• I though I would be cooking more and eating out less – did the complete opposite. For one person, it wasn’t worth buying all the ingredients and going through all the trouble of cooking (other than boiling a few pots of pasta and sauce).
• They don't charge enough for this (Shhhhhhhhhhh).

Bad points-
• I know this isn’t common in Italy (or Florence), but I wish the windows had screens on them. Especially around dusk if you have the windows open, all the flies and mosquitoes come in.
• When you turn on the sink water, it smells a little of bleach. I wonder if that isn’t part of the water purification here. I drank the water and it did not taste funny. But then I got some water on my black t-shirt and it clearly had some faint bleach stains the next day.

Room Tip: Be sure to eat at Gusta Pizza down the street
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank GSTgst
Bend, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2010

We stayed 3 months throughout the fall of 2010 at Poggio Imperiale in the Ghega apartment. It is even nicer inside than the photos show because the ceilings are taller than expected. The colors inside were warm Tuscan yellows. And the gated private terrace was a nice place to spend warm mornings and early evenings. Best of all, Clara and Carlo are wonderful to deal with. When I broke a microwave plate, Clara had a replacement in a matter of days. She didn’t even charge us for it, nor for the several glasses we managed to break during our stay [ We must be clumsy when washing dishes ].

The Porta Romana neighborhood is free of the tourist hordes of downtown Florence. And yet it is only a 20-minute walk to Ponte Vecchio and many of the downtown museums. All the services we needed and a supermarket were within a 10-minute walk. We caught several bus lines nearby at Porta Romana gate, as well as taxis that park at the corner. If you stay for a length of time, buy a museum pass, especially valuable for this neighborhood because of a little-known entrance to Boboli Gardens nearby, where you can wander the huge expanse of gardens to escape the noise of Florence traffic. Also, the Pitti Palace, a treasure trove of later Renaissance artists such as Raphael and Titian, is only 15 minutes away. Like the Boboli Gardens, the Pitti rewarded multiple visits.

Clara and Carlo are really fine people—and they speak fluent English, a rarity among the Florentines we came in contact with. And a final example of their integrity greeted us when we came home: They had refunded our full deposit back to our account before our flight arrived back in the U.S.!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Kanazawa, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2010

My three month stay at Poggio Imperiale Apartments from June until the end of August was great. I am a professional dancer and I was in Florence taking master classes in ballet.

I decided to stay in Poggio Imperiale Apartments because the location was close to the city center but not too close. There are no pubs or discos nearby. My experience at Poggio Imperiale Apartments was so much better than my experience at my previous accommodations in Florence, in the heart of the city, where the level of noise exceeded acceptable levels long after midnight. In contrast, Poggio Imperiale Apartments are located in a very pleasant area. In the city yet away from the persistent noise that tends to plague tourists filled city centers. I had to dance 6-7 hours per day; therefore, sleeping well was vital to my overall well-being. My nights were peaceful.

The apartment was beautifully furnished and clean. I particularly liked my room with pink marble floors! The owners, Clara and Carlo, were open, friendly and they made me feel at home. At one point during my stay, I did not feel well and needed to see a doctor. I was just learning Italian and I was very scared to try and find a hospital or doctor by myself. I called Carlo and he kindly made arrangements for an English speaking doctor to visit me at my apartment. I was so thankful. My parents in Japan were very grateful for Carlo’s assistance too. Clara, Carlo’s sister, also helped me on many occasions. Whenever I called or e-mailed with a problem she was always immediately ready to help.

Located near the apartments, only 5 to 10 minutes by foot, you can find a supermarket and many other little interesting shops. You can buy fresh fish, clothes, medicine, pizza, gelato, international newspapers and magazines and much more. In the morning, I enjoyed going into the local café around the corner to have a sweet bread and a cup of coffee. I became a regular customer and I was always greeted with friendly smiles. Also across the piazza of Porta Romana, in front of the entrance to Boboli Gardens, you can find small morning markets for fresh vegetables and fruit.

The truly great thing about the area is that it is not touristic as compared to the center of town. I could really enjoy the Italian lifestyle. I loved sitting on the beautiful rose filled terrace watching people go about their daily routines. A wonderful place to relax and daydream! Getting into center was simple. There are bus stops directly outside of the apartments. I could catch a bus to the center or just as easily up to Piazzale Michelangelo and beyond.

The apartments are nicely equipped with two washing machines and a dryer. I was constantly washing my dance attire. Internet connection was great too. It was especially useful when I was not feeling well and I could stay connected with my parents in Japan. They were so worried about me. But daily updates about my health and knowing that Clara and Carlo were helping and checking on me eased their worries tremendously.

The apartments are reasonably priced. Great location, clean, and pretty. Clara and Carlo are reliable and nice. Since, my stay was considered long term they gave me a considerable discount.

I highly recommend Poggio Imperiale Apartments. Clara and Carlo take great pride in the apartments as they should. Poggio Imperiale Apartments will always be a very special place for me. I plan to come back as soon as possible.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2010

Our family of three stayed for 9 days in one of the apartments and found it perfect for our needs. We had originally planned on 7 days but loved it so much we stayed on. Clara was such a gracious and helpful woman we were captivated. She made reservations for us for some of the local museums at no charge, arranged a delightful cooking class at a local villa that was spectacular. We were in a residential area and the bus was one block away. We will definitely go back and stay longer. I cannot think of one negative comment on our stay at the apartment.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple