“Best food”

Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Santa Croce
Reviewed 20 October 2013

If you are looking for a great place to eat in Florence, where the locals eat, this is the place. Great eggplant parmigiana! The house wine is excellent. Not much English spoken here, but it works. The staff understands what you want. And the prices are good. You can't go wrong for lunch here.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

We were trying to find the flea market at the Piazza del Ciompi, and were doing a good job of getting lost. As we rounded a corner we passed La Ghiotta and couldn't help but seeing the hot, fresh roasted means in the front of the restraunt, especially the whole porchetta! We were promptly seated in a small funky room in the back. The waiter was terrific at explaining how the place worked. With passable English he explained the we could either order off the menu or go to the front and see what we would like and he would get it for us.

I knew I was going to get the porchetta, but when I got up front to look I saw all the other wonderful dishes. Side dishes included, Cooked mushrooms, peas, broccoli, roasted onions, roasted potatoes and on and on. As mains I saw a beautiful rare roast beef, lost of pasta dishes from lasagna to raviolis. Truly everything looked great. We ended up sharing porchetta (delicious- just a touch salty), peas (lovely), roasted onions (sweet and savory-really great) and homemade fries. Paired that with a quarttino of the house red.

By the time we were halfway through the meal the place was packed, and I sensed very few tourists. We asked and were told to just go to the front and pay when we were done, no check. The cashier repeated our ordered items to us as she rang it up and the whole tab was just €23. The said cash only.

A very happy, yummy experience.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

I first visited La Ghiotta as a college student in 1993, eating on meal points from my school. I have since gone back 4-5 times as an "adult" to seek it out because I loved it so much. Amazing amazing food, incredible people there and all felt like the real deal. No silly English menus or bait-and-switch tourist tricks. They are the BEST.

Reviewed 13 July 2013

Yes, yes, yes! One of my favorite spots in Florence. If you are fed up with touristy places, you found the right spot: No nonsense tasty local food for a good price, served to you by friendly and efficient staff. If you want a fancy setting, you might be better off some place else. If you want a good meal, however, this is the place to go.

Reviewed 11 June 2013 via mobile

Florentines queue at La Ghiotta waiting for it to open! Fresh cooked Italian food amazingly cheap! A must for those on a budget...