“Glamour under the Tuscan sun”
Review of Il Salviatino

Il Salviatino
Ranked #89 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 5 September 2011

I stayed at Il Salviatino in December--it was my first trip to Florence. I've stayed at hotels all my life. As a matter of fact, my father was a hotel manager, so I literally spent my childhood in hotels. I have to say that Il Salviatino is possibly the best hotel I've ever visited. The setting, in Fiesole, above Florence proper, is magnificent. The views are out of this world--like a painting by Michelangelo. The hotel itself is housed inside a historic mansion that exudes mystery and romance. The rooms are large, comfortable, exquisitely furnished and possess all modern amenities--the mirror turns into a TV! "Service Ambassadors" (a combination of butler and personal assistant) are at your beck and call 24 hours a day. The food is truly amazing--dishes are prepared on the spot by skilled chefs. I am planning another trip to Florence just so that I can stay at Il Salviatino again.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends

Reviewed 29 August 2011

My wife and I visited in Aug 2011. Il Salviatino was an incredible hotel. From the meticulous attention to detail throughout the hotel, to the outstanding service to the uniqueness of each room (we saw three different suites and each was amazing). The restaurant was the best dinner in Italy, and the daily breakfast was a great way to start the day. The staff was professional and always greeted us like VIP's. Though a 10 min shuttle outside of Florence, they provide an hourly shuttle. It was nice to leave the busy downtown core and return to the hotel at the end of the day to relax poolside overlooking the Tuscan hills.

Thank you Il Salviatino for making us a amazing Florentine experience!

Reviewed 29 August 2011

Delightful staff,gorgeous decor,expensive but worth it ,they have a shuttle bus that will drop in to florence and can leave car at hotel ,spa average treatments very expensive massage.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2011

Good things:

Staff, really try and very helpful
Views, lovely views over Florence
Terrace, very lovely

Bad things:
Dark, the whole hotel is pretty dark and gloomy
Rooms: beware of trusting thhe website, many of thte rooms are very dark and not what is shown.
Pool, small, long way from hotel and surrounded by cheap furniture
Extras, have stayed in great hotels all over but do consider eu10 for coke (and no minbar so warm) pretty punchy
Overall, staff could not be better and try to help but hotel is not as sold on website. For my money there are much better.

1  Thank Matthew H
Reviewed 20 August 2011

My husband and I have just returned from a short stay at this amazing hotel. From the moment we arrived at Il Salviatino we were warmly welcomed with very personalised attention. Upon arrival in our spacious room we found a welcome note with fresh berries so beautifully presented alongside an ice bucket and welcome drinks. We were advised that we would have our own 'ambassador' to look after anything that we required and he was available to us 24 hours a day during our stay. We made full use of our ambassador who booked our in house spa treatments (amazing!!), advised us where to go in the area and passionately explained the history of this amazing villa to us. The villa is restored with the utmost attention to detail. We could not fault the thought that has gone into this hotel. The food is the restaurant was delicious and we especially enjoyed being able to have an all day breakfast so we did not have to set the alarm to get up for our scrumptious bacon and eggs. We were able to enjoy our breakfast on the terrace overlooking Florence in the mid morning sunshine. We did not visit the centre of Florence so much because we were just so happy soaking up the atmosphere in and around this little piece of paradise. We also spent quite some time around the pool and the immaculate gardens which provided a bit of time out from the warm August days.
The four days that we spent at this hotel were just not enough for us. The amazing beds with crisp perfect linen was just so comforting and decadent.... that's why we were in no hurry to get out of bed to meet a breakfast 'deadline'..... and the bath that we could almost swim laps in and the beautiful toiletries!
We look forward to returning to Il Salviatino, to soak up the atmosphere again very soon. We would like to thank the staff for such personalised attention, for making us feel like we were the most important guests there. The only thing I regret is not having indulged in some more spa treatments, but that will leave us something to look forward to next time. When we left, we had driven only 10 minutes when the hotel called to tell us we had left some clothing in the room and by the time we drove back they had carefully folded the items and placed them in a beautiful cotton laundry bag for our collection.
If you truly want a personalised, unique hotel experience, Il Salviatino is a must, and it lives up to every one of its five stars.

Reviewed 17 August 2011

There is a lot to like about Il Salviatino. The hotel itself is beautifully restored. The grounds are magnificent, although not yet mature. The rooms are large and comforable. The restaurant provides a beautiful view to enjoy your meals. And you can tell that the staff tries very hard to accomodate its guests. Nevertheless, Il Salviatino is not yet at the world class level to which it aspires.

First, as comforatble as our room was, it had maintenance issues. The first night it took over 20 minutes to get hot water out of the otherwise beautiful rain shower. The second day the fancy music system hidden in the mirror in the armoire stopped working. To top it off our final night my wife and I returned to our room and were informed as we approached that despite (or perhaps because of) the fancy lighting system in the room most of the lights in our room had stopped working.

None of these issues put a damper on the wonderful time we were having, but they are indicative of a property (or at least a room) that needs some upkeep.

Second, while housekeeping provided some luxurious touches, it was also sporadic. The first night we returned to our room close to 11:00 p.m. only to find housekeeping just performing turn down service. The second night, it appeared housekeeping has performed turndown, but this time there was no water by the bed.

Again, nothing major, but a hint that housekeeping was pehaps a little overwhelmed in trying to carry out its duties.

Third, I have to agree with others that I found the Ambassador system somewhat confusing. You are told you have an assigned ambassador when the reality is you deal with whomever is available. Either somebody else answered our calls or we tended to find whomever we ran across in the common areas and relied upon them to make our reservations.

Not a problem, just something to consider. And don't get me wrong, the ambassadors are helpful and knowledgeable and at the end of the day the concept does make the property special. I just think how it is presented needs a little tweaking.

Finally, while we thoroughly enjoyed the restaurant, there were two occurences that caught my attention. The first involved our first night at the restaurant. I arrived for dinner in nice shorts only to learn that they require long pants. I figured my mistake, and quickly went back to the room and changed. I did not view this as a problem at all. What I did find strange though was that an hour later, another guest arrived in not so nice shorts and was immediately seated at his table. I didn't really care, but the inconsistency did catch my attention.

The second involved my breakfast the final morning when I ordered eggs benedict. The eggs benedict I received did not look or taste exactly like I expected. I realized quickly that the hollandaise sauce had curdled. I should have said something, but I didn't. At a hotel striving to be the best, it was one more little thing that should not have happened.

The amazing thing is that you might think that with all these little issues, we did not enjoy our stay at Il Salviatino. But we did. We thoroughly enjoyed it. We found it relaxing and comfortable, expecially at the spa where I had an incredible massage. We also found the shuttle service made going into Florence easy and convenient. At bottom, how could you not have a wonderful stay in such a beautiful hotel in such a wonderful location?

At the end of the day, despite all the little issues, I would still consider staying at Il Salviatino. I think that says alot. But the devil is in the details, and Il Salviatino needs to attend to those details if it truly wants to be a world class hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank httraveler
Reviewed 10 August 2011

We booked a table for dinner in the restaurant La terraze, which offers tuscany cuisine. The all things were perfect - the view, very attentive staff, live piano music, and of course the food. We will recommend this place to all our friends and will come back here next time!

• Stayed: August 2011