“Train Wreck!”

Ranked #92 of 421 Hotels in Florence
West Islip, NY
“Train Wreck!”
Reviewed 19 September 2011

If overpromising and under delivering were an Olympic event, this place would take the gold medal. The promise: a sumptuous room where luxury has no limit. The delivery: a barely habitable cell missing key amenities. The promise: dedicated service ambassadors who will anticipate your every whim. The delivery: service that is at best inept and often chaotic. The promise: a unique vision of gastronomy rooted in Tuscan cuisine. The delivery: the worst meals of our two week stay in Italy.

Highlights of the disaster:

1. Once we arrived I started to unpack. As experienced travelers know, in order to effectively unpack you need places, such as drawers and cabinets, into which to stuff your stuff. Our room at the Salviatino was devoid of any such places. No chest of drawers. No armoir. Nada, except about two feet of closet hanging space – utterly inadequate for two adults. We had to put our luggage on the floor and pull clothing out of it.

2. The room was supposed to have a private bar. This consisted of a TV tray with bottles of soda and water lined up on it. Hope you like your soda at room temperature. There was no fridge and the ice bucket was never filled. I am sure that if I called eventually someone would turn up with some ice, but I shouldn’t have to ask for ice in a room with this price tag.

3. As I settle into a new hotel room, I enjoy flipping through the guest directory to learn about the hotel facilities and services. There was no guest directory or property map in our room. The reading material in the room consisted of an advertisement for the hotel spa, a (very short) room service menu, and a glossy brochure touting all the expensive stores in Florence. Allegedly there was an electronic hotel directory available through the television, but when I clicked on “Hotel Menu” on the screen all that popped up was advertising copy telling me that the hotel is wonderful. This is not a minor quibble. Without a guest directory, you are flying blind!

4. The doors and door frames in the room were made of a cheap, soft wood with a dark stain for that medieval look. They were splintering. So was the wooden floor.

5. The room was small and dark. The lighting in the room was inadequate: we dressed in gloom. The artwork was ugly.

6. When we arrived a bored looking gentleman was introduced as our service ambassador. He showed us to the room, muttered something about the view, handed us the key, and left. We never saw Mister Service Ambassador again until we departed, when he stood around doing nothing but hoping for a tip. We were told that every service ambassador would stop at nothing to provide us with world-class service. Almost right. Whenever we tried to extract help from a service ambassador, they would not stop. Or even slow down.

7. The bed rested directly on the floor – reminding me of a student dormitory. This memory was reinforced by stains on the bedding.

8. There were tears in the curtains, although the rips were close to the top of the curtains so I think management is hoping that guests won’t notice.

9. The television remote worked only when it was held six inches from the sensor at the bottom of the television screen.

10. As an old building the hotel is full of hidden steps. I tripped over several and almost killed myself at least twice. Could we please illuminate these boobytraps?

11. During our visit the gardens featured more dry, gray dust than foliage or flowers. This meant that you needed to shower every time you walked outside.

On our first night at Il Salviatino My Dearest tried to cheer me up with the prospect of dinner reminding me of the promised gourmet delights rooted in rich Tuscan tradition. My Dearest will regret that mistake for a very, very long time. The meals were the worst we had in Italy, including several truck stop lunches. Here’s how the salami flopped:

1. When we arrived at the restaurant, we were greeted rudely by a young man who accused us of having no reservation – even though I had confirmed our reservation only a few hours earlier. Apparently it was my fault that he had lost our reservation. Helping the young man with his difficult job, I pointed out our reservation clearly written into his book. He was not grateful.

2. You know a restaurant is cutting costs when the fish that appears most often on the menu is salt cod. It featured in two appetizers and one main course.

3. The bread in the bread basket was stale. There was no olive oil on the table. When I asked for some, a thimbleful was drizzled onto the corner of my bread plate. People!!! Even the truck stops in Italy leave a bottle of olive oil on the table!!

4. Our appetizers were messy collections of ingredients that would be thrown together by a sophmoric student chef playing with leftovers. One consisted of charred eggplant slices piled onto a wedge of supermarket quality mozzarella balanced on stale bits of lobster tail floating in a watery tomato sauce.

5. The pasta dishes were awful. A spinach and ricotta ravioli had the mouth feel and taste of microwaved potato dumplings. A pheasant ragout brought back unhappy childhood memories of Hamburger Helper.

6. The after dinner cappuccino consisted of a thin layer of gritty brown water under a mass of watery milk foam. A sprinkle of chocolate or cinnamon on top was out of the question.

7. The flatware was so cheap I could bend it with one hand.

8. My Dearest and I ordered glasses of a very ordinary grappa to remove the taste of this repast from our mouths. The waiter plonked down a different grappa from the one we ordered without permission or explanation. No-one could be bothered to ask if the substitution was agreeable. I have never met a grappa that I did not like – until that meal at Salviatino.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank tarrytown54
ebortolato, Service Ambassador at Il Salviatino, responded to this review, 2 October 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and sharing your experience with us. I was most concerned to read your review on your recent stay.

In order for me to fully investigate your comments and apologize in person could you kindly contact me directly?

With best regards,

Eleonora Bortolato
Service Ambassador
eleonora@salviatino.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
NEW YORK CITY
Reviewed 18 September 2011

We stayed at Il Salviatino for our 1st leg of our Italian Honeymoon. I found the hotel through Luxury Link where I bought a package including daily breakfast and dinner.
The property is beautiful, just outside of city center Florence, They has a beautiful vista of Florence and the Duomo. The Palazzo was beautifully decorated as well as the spacious bedroom and bathroom. The proprietary beauty products were wonderful. The ambassadors are all very knowledgeable and helpful in pulling together any type of tourist activity for the surrounding area. The Spa was also top notch. The restaurant was divine. What was best is that the hotel is high end in all aspects, but unpretentious. We would love to go back.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 16 September 2011

We could not have chosen a better place to enjoy Florence and its magic as a couple. It was not only the hotel, which in itself offers a unique experience with privileged accomodations and first class dining, but the service that made the difference. Our embassador and the staff went out of their way to please us, ensuring a flawless and pleasant experience, as well as clockwork coordination for our repeated trips to the city.

Il Salviatino has a privileged view of Florence. Enjoying the sunset from its outdoor restaurant enhances the view, making you feel you are immerse in a perfect movie shot. My wife and I would highly recommend mixing the experience with more than a couple of Spritz Aperol glasses.

Another pleasant memory is the visit to their Spa. The couples massage (courtesy of our host) provided much needed comfort after long days walking the streets of beautiful Florence.

My wife and I are committed to return at some point, perhaps when we have children, as Il Salviatino has become an important part of such an special time of our lifes. It was the key ingredient to our perfect honeymoon.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Twickenham
Reviewed 13 September 2011

I booked this hotel for my wife's birthday and our wedding anniversary. We booked via ITC so we were picked up by a Mercedes S class and arrived at the hotel and were gob smacked at how beautiful it is. A personal welcome later with a glass of Proseco and an introduction to our own personal ambassador. This hotel is first class and we will be coming back again sometime soon.

• Stayed September 2011
Kerzers, Switzerland
Reviewed 12 September 2011

This last August, me and my husband decided to visit Florence and made the option of staying a bit away from the crowds in the town. Our choice could not be better! Il Salviatino is the perfect place to be if you need to refill the energies! After long days visiting incredible museums and shops it was sensational to have a relaxing massage at the hotel's Spa (beautiful, strong Thai ladies in what an ambiance! So relaxing!!). In the mornings to have a nice revigorating swimming! Not to mention the bedroom: so elegant and uniquely furnished.. Plus, love the fact of not having to stand in a "reception" (there is none!) to be received or to check out.. Feels like being home or visiting very close friends! Unforgettable days.. we will be back!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
essex, uk
Reviewed 11 September 2011

From the moment we arrived, we knew this hotel was extra special. The hotel, the grounds and the staff were sublime. Stefan, our ambassador, could not have been more helpful in helping us plan our stay. We highly recommend using the private limousine service for trips out. We had Roberto and he was fantastic.

We ate at the hotel every evening and the food was just wonderful and beautifully presented. Our room was stunning! Exceptionally clean and comfortable, with a superb view of Florence.

Il Salviatino is easily the best hotel we have ever stayed at. The staff were all so helpful and friendly and made us so welcome. We would love to come and stay again. We would highly recommend it.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Warwickshire
Reviewed 10 September 2011

Taxis are very expensive into Florence so use the shuttle bus.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Florence
Villa Cora
The St. Regis Florence
The St. Regis Florence
#9 of 421 in Florence
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,235 reviews

Been to Il Salviatino? Share your experiences!