“Perfect Honeymoon”
Review of Il Salviatino

Il Salviatino
Ranked #91 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 20 September 2011

My husband and I spent 3 nights at Il Salviatino as part of our honeymoon after our wedding in Italy and were completely blown away. This hotel is a great choice for anyone looking for someplace romantic for a special occassion in one of the most beautiful cities in the world.
We stayed in Lake Garda and Venice before arriving in Florence, and I am so glad we decided to end our trip here as it would have been impossible to follow!

We booked direct with the hotel, and arrived in Florence by train from Venice. Took a taxi from Santa Maria Novella to the hotel which was a short drive away (5/10 minutes or so) which was reasonably priced. As mentioned in previous reviews, we were met by the service ambassadors on arrival and were offered a welcome proseccco to enjoy on the beautiful terrace while our bags were taken to the room. The hotel is on the hillside just outside the centre of the city, and has the most amazing views of the city.

The hotel itself was beautiful, with a great mix of modern style and original features throughout. We stayed in one of the Dome View rooms which was gorgeous - stunning views of Florence through huge floor to ceiling windows. The room was decorated to a very high standard and had thoughtful little touches such as fresh flowers and candles throughout. My husband especially loved the huge mirror which illuminates to be used as the TV/PC/entertainment system. The bathroom was huge with a jacuzzi bathtub and rain shower with led lights and a huge leather chair, I could happily live in the bathroom alone!

The staff were great, professional and friendly without being obtrusive, seemed to just appear when you needed something. At dinner the food was outstanding, we both agree to this day this was hands down the best meal we have ever had. Room service was also amazing.

In brief: gorgeous hotel + amazing city + fabulous food + wonderful staff = perfect honeymoon

I can't fault Il Saviatino in any way and hope to return very soon.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 September 2011

My husband and I stayed at Il Salviatino in May 2011 for 2 nights as part of our honeymoon - hands down it is the most luxurious hotel we have ever stayed at.

Let's be upfront about it, this place is expensive, but the phrase 'you get what you pay for' has never been more appropriate. The hotel is an old Tuscan palace, and has been beautifully restored. The terrace and rooms overlooking the gardens all have an amazing view across Florence, and being outside the city it's peaceful too.

The location was not a problem for us as the hotel provides a shuttle mini-bus to and from the city every half-hour, and for later trips a taxi is not extortionate, around €15.

The hotel has no reception desk, instead you are greeted by your own personal Ambassador, who is responsible for all your needs during your stay, and is contactable on their mobile via any of the hotel phones.

Our room was beautifully appointed, with huge comfortable bed and well equipped spa-style bathroom - an old fashioned tin bath next to a large window with a view across the city was a lovely touch. We also found a proper espresso machine with complimentary coffee pods which started our mornings well.

The hotel restaurant is exceptional - both the service and the food. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are all fine dining experiences, and I would return for the boar ragu alone! There's lots of locally sourced ingredients used, and the wait staff are very knowledgeable about the food, the chef very accomodating to allergies - especially helpful for one with severe nut allergies. On several occasions they prepared something special just for me.

The hotel makes excellent use of the grounds, and includes a pool and sunloungers arranged to take advatage of the vista - if you have time to spare from sightseeing, it's a lovely spot to relax.

The final piece for me was the spa - on par with London prices, far superior in experience. We opted for a couples full body massage, and were able to choose our own massage oil blend. It was the perfect way to unwind all the stress and tension left from planning the wedding!

The hotel Ambassadors are very knowledgeable about the city, and it's well worth taking advantage of this, especially if you are only in Florence for a short stay. Advanced tickets for some of the major sights (especially to see the statue of David) are a must unless you want to spend most of your visit queing, and they know the best restaurants in the city - Ristorante Buca Mario is a must to try the local speciality Florentine Steak, and don't miss the Ribolitta here - another Tuscan classic, thick vegetable soup with beans and bread, come here hungary!

Il Salviatino is a rare find - luxurious and elegant, with wonderfully friendly service and a stunning location. If my numbers come up on the lottery, I'm heading back here for a longer stay!

Room Tip: Ask in advance for a room with a view - it's worth it to wake up looking out over Florence.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2011

If overpromising and under delivering were an Olympic event, this place would take the gold medal. The promise: a sumptuous room where luxury has no limit. The delivery: a barely habitable cell missing key amenities. The promise: dedicated service ambassadors who will anticipate your every whim. The delivery: service that is at best inept and often chaotic. The promise: a unique vision of gastronomy rooted in Tuscan cuisine. The delivery: the worst meals of our two week stay in Italy.

Highlights of the disaster:

1. Once we arrived I started to unpack. As experienced travelers know, in order to effectively unpack you need places, such as drawers and cabinets, into which to stuff your stuff. Our room at the Salviatino was devoid of any such places. No chest of drawers. No armoir. Nada, except about two feet of closet hanging space – utterly inadequate for two adults. We had to put our luggage on the floor and pull clothing out of it.

2. The room was supposed to have a private bar. This consisted of a TV tray with bottles of soda and water lined up on it. Hope you like your soda at room temperature. There was no fridge and the ice bucket was never filled. I am sure that if I called eventually someone would turn up with some ice, but I shouldn’t have to ask for ice in a room with this price tag.

3. As I settle into a new hotel room, I enjoy flipping through the guest directory to learn about the hotel facilities and services. There was no guest directory or property map in our room. The reading material in the room consisted of an advertisement for the hotel spa, a (very short) room service menu, and a glossy brochure touting all the expensive stores in Florence. Allegedly there was an electronic hotel directory available through the television, but when I clicked on “Hotel Menu” on the screen all that popped up was advertising copy telling me that the hotel is wonderful. This is not a minor quibble. Without a guest directory, you are flying blind!

4. The doors and door frames in the room were made of a cheap, soft wood with a dark stain for that medieval look. They were splintering. So was the wooden floor.

5. The room was small and dark. The lighting in the room was inadequate: we dressed in gloom. The artwork was ugly.

6. When we arrived a bored looking gentleman was introduced as our service ambassador. He showed us to the room, muttered something about the view, handed us the key, and left. We never saw Mister Service Ambassador again until we departed, when he stood around doing nothing but hoping for a tip. We were told that every service ambassador would stop at nothing to provide us with world-class service. Almost right. Whenever we tried to extract help from a service ambassador, they would not stop. Or even slow down.

7. The bed rested directly on the floor – reminding me of a student dormitory. This memory was reinforced by stains on the bedding.

8. There were tears in the curtains, although the rips were close to the top of the curtains so I think management is hoping that guests won’t notice.

9. The television remote worked only when it was held six inches from the sensor at the bottom of the television screen.

10. As an old building the hotel is full of hidden steps. I tripped over several and almost killed myself at least twice. Could we please illuminate these boobytraps?

11. During our visit the gardens featured more dry, gray dust than foliage or flowers. This meant that you needed to shower every time you walked outside.

On our first night at Il Salviatino My Dearest tried to cheer me up with the prospect of dinner reminding me of the promised gourmet delights rooted in rich Tuscan tradition. My Dearest will regret that mistake for a very, very long time. The meals were the worst we had in Italy, including several truck stop lunches. Here’s how the salami flopped:

1. When we arrived at the restaurant, we were greeted rudely by a young man who accused us of having no reservation – even though I had confirmed our reservation only a few hours earlier. Apparently it was my fault that he had lost our reservation. Helping the young man with his difficult job, I pointed out our reservation clearly written into his book. He was not grateful.

2. You know a restaurant is cutting costs when the fish that appears most often on the menu is salt cod. It featured in two appetizers and one main course.

3. The bread in the bread basket was stale. There was no olive oil on the table. When I asked for some, a thimbleful was drizzled onto the corner of my bread plate. People!!! Even the truck stops in Italy leave a bottle of olive oil on the table!!

4. Our appetizers were messy collections of ingredients that would be thrown together by a sophmoric student chef playing with leftovers. One consisted of charred eggplant slices piled onto a wedge of supermarket quality mozzarella balanced on stale bits of lobster tail floating in a watery tomato sauce.

5. The pasta dishes were awful. A spinach and ricotta ravioli had the mouth feel and taste of microwaved potato dumplings. A pheasant ragout brought back unhappy childhood memories of Hamburger Helper.

6. The after dinner cappuccino consisted of a thin layer of gritty brown water under a mass of watery milk foam. A sprinkle of chocolate or cinnamon on top was out of the question.

7. The flatware was so cheap I could bend it with one hand.

8. My Dearest and I ordered glasses of a very ordinary grappa to remove the taste of this repast from our mouths. The waiter plonked down a different grappa from the one we ordered without permission or explanation. No-one could be bothered to ask if the substitution was agreeable. I have never met a grappa that I did not like – until that meal at Salviatino.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank tarrytown54
ebortolato, Service Ambassador at Il Salviatino, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and sharing your experience with us. I was most concerned to read your review on your recent stay.

In order for me to fully investigate your comments and apologize in person could you kindly contact me directly?

With best regards,

Eleonora Bortolato
Service Ambassador
eleonora@salviatino.com

Reviewed 18 September 2011

We stayed at Il Salviatino for our 1st leg of our Italian Honeymoon. I found the hotel through Luxury Link where I bought a package including daily breakfast and dinner.
The property is beautiful, just outside of city center Florence, They has a beautiful vista of Florence and the Duomo. The Palazzo was beautifully decorated as well as the spacious bedroom and bathroom. The proprietary beauty products were wonderful. The ambassadors are all very knowledgeable and helpful in pulling together any type of tourist activity for the surrounding area. The Spa was also top notch. The restaurant was divine. What was best is that the hotel is high end in all aspects, but unpretentious. We would love to go back.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 September 2011

We could not have chosen a better place to enjoy Florence and its magic as a couple. It was not only the hotel, which in itself offers a unique experience with privileged accomodations and first class dining, but the service that made the difference. Our embassador and the staff went out of their way to please us, ensuring a flawless and pleasant experience, as well as clockwork coordination for our repeated trips to the city.

Il Salviatino has a privileged view of Florence. Enjoying the sunset from its outdoor restaurant enhances the view, making you feel you are immerse in a perfect movie shot. My wife and I would highly recommend mixing the experience with more than a couple of Spritz Aperol glasses.

Another pleasant memory is the visit to their Spa. The couples massage (courtesy of our host) provided much needed comfort after long days walking the streets of beautiful Florence.

My wife and I are committed to return at some point, perhaps when we have children, as Il Salviatino has become an important part of such an special time of our lifes. It was the key ingredient to our perfect honeymoon.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 September 2011

I booked this hotel for my wife's birthday and our wedding anniversary. We booked via ITC so we were picked up by a Mercedes S class and arrived at the hotel and were gob smacked at how beautiful it is. A personal welcome later with a glass of Proseco and an introduction to our own personal ambassador. This hotel is first class and we will be coming back again sometime soon.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 12 September 2011

This last August, me and my husband decided to visit Florence and made the option of staying a bit away from the crowds in the town. Our choice could not be better! Il Salviatino is the perfect place to be if you need to refill the energies! After long days visiting incredible museums and shops it was sensational to have a relaxing massage at the hotel's Spa (beautiful, strong Thai ladies in what an ambiance! So relaxing!!). In the mornings to have a nice revigorating swimming! Not to mention the bedroom: so elegant and uniquely furnished.. Plus, love the fact of not having to stand in a "reception" (there is none!) to be received or to check out.. Feels like being home or visiting very close friends! Unforgettable days.. we will be back!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple