“EXCELLENT HOTEL!”
Review of Il Salviatino

Il Salviatino
Ranked #81 of 409 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 3 October 2011

We stayed in some excellent hotels during our 2 weeks in Italy and this was by far our favorite. The grounds and rooms are beautiful and the staff are very attentive.

Reviewed 26 September 2011

After all the reviews that I have read about this hotel, our experience was beyond disappointing. There was no luxury whatsoever. The room that was given to us, had some of the lighting not working. I mentioned this to the "manager" and we were given a floor lamp with an extension cord, I thought it was going to catch fire. We had a high tech television that stopped working, as did our telephone. The bathroom was ridiculous, the tube was decorative. Housekeeping sucked. We couldn't get out of there fast enough. Oh, and the grounds were so dirty from the dirt road that leads to the hotel, our taxi drive demanded that we close the windows driving up to the hotel. Huge mosquito problems, with no solutions. Staff young and very, very, very inexperienced. Never again.

8  Thank hillsNy
ebortolato, Service Ambassador at Il Salviatino, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2011

Dear Guest,

We are really sorry that you have had such a negative experience on your recent visit and I would like to apologise on behalf of Il Salviatino team. The problems you faced have been addressed and we are sorry to read that you feel that we did not deal with the incident correctly.

We will be glad to talk to you further and apologize in person, so please contact us directly at your convenience.

Kindest regards,

Eleonora Bortolato
Service Ambassador
eleonora@salviatino.com

Reviewed 26 September 2011

There is no denying this is a beautiful property which has been lovingly and lavishly restored. Stayed 3 days and came away with mixed feelings about the hotel.

LOCATION

Hotel is situated at the top of a hill in Fiesole and overlooks Florence. Whilst you have the advantage of the view, you have the disadvantage of having to rely on a taxi or mini bus to get into/back from Florence. A one way taxi to the centre of Florence varied from 20 euros to 30 euros depending on time of day. There is however a free hotel shuttle which we used once during our stay. I think the last shuttle back is around 8.30pm

FOOD

Excellent. We had 3 breakfasts, 2 lunches and 1 dinner here. Food choice, presentation, quality and cooking were all first class. Breakfast pastries were really just too too delicious and it was hard to show restraint. (Didn't like their toast at breakfast however despite the fact the bread served at lunch and in the evenings were lovely - not sure why that was.)

ROOMS

We booked a duomo view room at 715 Euros a night. Room was light (2 large windows in bedroom overlooking Florence). Bathroom was also light with one window looking straight down to Florence skyline and one looking on to trees (with no view as such but offered light and privacy). The room was nice but not particularly large. There is about a metre from the bottom of the bed to the wall. There was an armchair in the bathroom (presumably because there was no room for one in the bedroom). We had a bath and shower which was nice. There is no mini bar in the room. The coffee machine was a nice touch but catered to expresso tastes (ie no milk). I had the opportunity to see several of the other rooms at the standard entry level (think they are 550 euros pn) and was surprised to find that many were considerably larger than ours. One had 2 juliet balconies and pleasant views, another had a separate lounge with a 3 piece leather suite! So, with the benefit of hindsight, I may not have opted for the more expensive room. The view was very nice but I would have preferred a larger room at the lower rate!

SERVICE

This is where, I'm afraid, the place let itself down. Waiter service at breakfast in particular was nothing short of Fawlty Towers. When ordering more coffee, a second pot would arrive but noone would think to remove the empty pot. The same when a cooked breakfast arrived and an empty cereal bowl was on the table. No one waiter seemed to be assigned to a particular table and so our coffee/pastries would be given to another table for example, or a waiter would wander around wondering which table had ordered the fruit plate. There are lots of staff but the training seemed to us to be well below our expectations of a five star hotel. The service from the young female waitress who served us one lunch time was at best surly and actually borderline rude. On check-out, we waited 20 minutes for our luggage to come from our room. Each time I asked if it was coming, I was assured it was in hand, but it seemed that noone had actually been asked to bring our luggage down. Eventually I personally asked someone at the door who went straightaway and brought it down for us.

There is complementary fruit in your room when you arrive. We were left 4 beautiful plums. We ate 2 (& they were delicious) and left the other 2 to eat the following day. When we returned to our room the following day the fruit had been removed. I mentioned my disappointment at this to "reception" and was told that fruit was only provided for the day of arrival and was always taken away after that. However I was told that my fruit would be returned. It wasn't. Not only do I not understand why fruit is only to be eaten on the first day (if you don't want to eat it immediately should guests hide it in their luggage??) it was in fact a complete nonsense as several of the other guests we knew who were staying at the same time as us had their "arrival" fruit left in their room for the duration of their 3 night stay - so it clearly isn't hotel policy to remove fruit after the first day.

At the evening turn down service you are left a bottle of water (tho' sadly no chocolate or treat) and a candle is lit in your room, which sets a nice atmosphere when you first enter your room after an evening out.

GROUNDS

The grounds are pretty but unfortunately I was unable to enjoy sitting out as I was bitten to pieces and had bite marks all over my legs within 15 minutes. I did see several other people with bite marks. It may just have been the time of year but it was unfortunate.

AROMA

I have read other reviews about the smell of drains. Whilst we were there, the hotel was clearly dealing with the smell by having dozens and dozens of scented diffusers located around the hotel. The smell was pleasant ( we didn't smell drains at all) but sometimes the diffusers (and quantity of them) were a little overpowering

There are lots of lovely things about the hotel. I think it would be a fabulous setting for a big occasion (eg wedding) - but they do need to attend to the training of their staff to bring it up to standard. As others have mentioned the prices are high but I suspect most of the 5 star hotels in Florence charge similar prices.

Room Tip: Duomo view room is lovely and light but is smaller than some rooms priced at a lower rate. Check wh...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank dee090
Reviewed 24 September 2011

STRUCTURE: old villa in the hills of Florence, transformed into a luxury hotel recently, a fascinating entry by climbing down a tree-lined avenue. -Free reception offers large common areas including a library, check in is in the room by the butler. Atmosphere in all the rooms, candles and a sense of exclusivity.
LOBBYING: no lobby
ROOMS: Rooms basic, uninterrupted views over the city of Florence or the gardens, bathroom with shower separate from bath tub, two sinks, window with views even from the bathroom. TV hidden inside a large gap at the foot of the bed. Coffee machine in the cabinet, no minibar. Simple and inexpensive furniture in the rooms.
RESTAURANT: excellent Tuscan cuisine, beautiful dining room, not to my taste the space outside
PERSONAL: friendly, professional, good looking.
What I liked most: swimming pool, views, service
What I like least: bad smell of sewage in the stairs in the entrance hall and the room
OVERALL: a different experience from the usual hotel

1  Thank bestmilano
Reviewed 21 September 2011

My wife and I just returned from our honeymoon, which included 3 nights at Il Salviatino. From the moment we arrived, the staff made us feel as if we were staying at their private villa. We were greeted with a glass of rosé and a tour of the property by our service ambassador, Stefán, before being shown our room.

We stayed in room 4, which is on the main floor and is one of the smaller rooms. Despite this, the bedroom had 20 foot ceilings, 2 full bathrooms, and a gorgeous loft! No detail was spared, as the rooms are full of modern amenities, wonderful linens and bathrobes, high definition televisions, and rain showers.

I would highly recommend booking a package through Luxury Link or Andrew Harper, as they often include dinners, massages, and other perks.

My only criticism is the price of the laundry service. We made the mistake of filling up the laundry bag with a few basics, only to be charged €135 - more than the cost of our clothes combined!

Il Salviatino was the highlight of our honeymoon, and we can't wait to go back someday.

1  Thank BHolland85
Reviewed 21 September 2011

We stayed here as a party of 10 for a birthday party. We had 6 rooms, each of which was different, but well appointed with comfortable beds, luxurious furnishings and (in most cases) glorious views over the city and/or surrounding hills. My bathroom was lovely - bath & separate shower with the softest dressing gowns I've ever worn. Yes, the service could sometimes be a little haphazard, but the staff were, without exception, charming and keen to help which made us forgiving of the sometimes slow delivery. This is Italy after all. While not cheap, the food was beautifully cooked & presented - we ate lunch in the hotel on the days of arrival & departure & had dinner on the terrace one evening when they had set up a large table for us on a raised area away from the other diners. It was beautifully decorated with herbs and sunflowers and the service (on this occasion) was impeccable as was the food. Breakfast was a delight - very leisurely (which suited us) - not sure I'd have been as happy if we'd been in a hurry; and as the weather was warm and sunny we sat on the terrace which added to the general feeling of well-being.

The "not so good" was around the costs of extras - €34 to iron three pieces of clothing; €8 to launder a piece of underwear (it would have been cheaper to buy new) and €10 each for a coke and a bottle of water left a nasty taste. Given the price of the rooms, the laundry/ironing should have been included. A mini bar in the room would also have been welcomed as the water etc provided was warm (as the weather was glorious). We used the shuttle into town once, but when we inquired about it taking us to/from a dinner in town we were quoted a price of €350 or so - we took cabs!

Wasn't sure we got an ambassador, but Cristiano who helped organise the weekend was fabulous - endlessly helpful and nothing was too much trouble for him.

The villa itself is stunning - set high on a hill above Florence it has glorious views and is very peaceful and private. Clearly no expense has been spared on its refurbishment. There were a lot of staff (possibly too many) and each seemed to have their own role which could give rise to delays as the right person was found to do the job.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views but all rooms are different - some have sitting rooms; one had a ter...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 September 2011

My husband and I spent 3 nights at Il Salviatino as part of our honeymoon after our wedding in Italy and were completely blown away. This hotel is a great choice for anyone looking for someplace romantic for a special occassion in one of the most beautiful cities in the world.
We stayed in Lake Garda and Venice before arriving in Florence, and I am so glad we decided to end our trip here as it would have been impossible to follow!

We booked direct with the hotel, and arrived in Florence by train from Venice. Took a taxi from Santa Maria Novella to the hotel which was a short drive away (5/10 minutes or so) which was reasonably priced. As mentioned in previous reviews, we were met by the service ambassadors on arrival and were offered a welcome proseccco to enjoy on the beautiful terrace while our bags were taken to the room. The hotel is on the hillside just outside the centre of the city, and has the most amazing views of the city.

The hotel itself was beautiful, with a great mix of modern style and original features throughout. We stayed in one of the Dome View rooms which was gorgeous - stunning views of Florence through huge floor to ceiling windows. The room was decorated to a very high standard and had thoughtful little touches such as fresh flowers and candles throughout. My husband especially loved the huge mirror which illuminates to be used as the TV/PC/entertainment system. The bathroom was huge with a jacuzzi bathtub and rain shower with led lights and a huge leather chair, I could happily live in the bathroom alone!

The staff were great, professional and friendly without being obtrusive, seemed to just appear when you needed something. At dinner the food was outstanding, we both agree to this day this was hands down the best meal we have ever had. Room service was also amazing.

In brief: gorgeous hotel + amazing city + fabulous food + wonderful staff = perfect honeymoon

I can't fault Il Saviatino in any way and hope to return very soon.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple