“Home in Florence” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Casa Rabatti

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Florence
Casa Rabatti
Ranked #220 of 653 Florence B&B and Inns
Boston
“Home in Florence”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2012

We have been to Florence 10 times in 10 years and we always stay with Marcella at Casa Rabatti. Florence is marvelous, but she is the single biggest reason we keep going back. We completely agree with Rick Steves: if you want to feel you're part of a Tuscan family this is the place to stay. Keep in mind the word "family." I've stayed in lovely hotels with gracious staff, but Marcella makes us feel far more welcome and at home than at any hotel I've experienced. You are truly staying at her house. We are filled with joy when we arrive. Okay, let's talk about boring stuff like location: it's a short walk to the train and bus stations and most of the stuff you've come to see, like the Duomo, the Accademia, San Marco, the Uffizzi. It's in a real neighborhood, with shops of all kinds, great fun to explore. You're two minutes' walk from the #7 bus to Fiesole (which you must visit!). Casa Rabatti is always very clean, and there are a number of simple amenities such as wifi and a refrigerator in the hall. But what makes this place special is Marcella, who is amazingly available and helpful, there to greet you, to see you off, happy to answer your questions, patiently demonstrating proper Italian manners and speech. She doesn't offer breakfast, but if you come back looking cold and pale she will probably offer you a cup of tea. Setting out on our first morning in Florence, she tried to press an umbrella on us because it looked like rain. (Silly me: for some reason this makes me weep.) You have to understand, she is utterly sincere. She loves having you in her house. She exchanges letters with the guests who return again and again. If you came to Tuscany to experience the place as directly as possible, you won't find a better place. However, this is not the place for everyone. If you want to be treated like a hotel guest, with impersonal courtesy, you may be happier elsewhere. To get the one room with a bath you need to reserve far in advance. (To avoid problems with the shared bath we simply get up early.) The interior rooms are quieter, but it's not a particularly noisy street. The back suite has vast capacity and a view of the garden. There's no AC. (We travel off season, so it's not an issue.) Driving is difficult. (We walk.) I've stayed at marvelous hotels, but never thought to write a review. For Marcella I make an exception.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kakiman

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Springfield, Vermont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2011

My husband and I stayed with Marcella Rabatti for a week in November. She was wonderful. We didn't have a bathroom in our room but it was just down the hall. She has a refrigerator to leave things in. She made us feel like family despite the language difficulties. There is no breakfast but she allowed us to use her stove to make coffee. I would definitely go back! We had a huge room in the back which looked out on the garden and was very quiet. We left for 2 days and she let us leave some luggage there as we were coming back. I will definitely stay there again if I am lucky enough to get back to Florence. As my husband says, he'd go back to Florence just to see her!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Barbara D
Aurora, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2011

We don't often stay at a place like this, but the prices in Florence were so high that it forced us to do something a little different. While I didn't like sharing a bathroom and there is no breakfast, the location was good, the room was clean and the price (54 Euros) was right. I can't say enough about how much we enjoyed Marcella. She is wonderful. Somehow she gets buy with just a few English words and after a few days you feel like she is an old family friend. I would stay there again and I would encourage others to try it.

Room Tip: Get the room with the bathroom.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Blabbott
Saint-Paul-Trois-Chateaux, France
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2011

Marcella is a sweet hostess, but Casa Rabatti is very, very, very low budget. The place is clean enough, but it is absolutely zero frills at all. For 20€ more, we are in Rome with a much larger room, cleaner, private bath and homemade pastries for breakfast (Bibi e Romeo's Home, near Vatican). We paid almost 10€ for breakfast, so the savings didn't really pay with Casa Rabatti. The bed was 2 twins pushed together and very old and uncomfortable. I think Rick Steves oversells this one. Also, Marcella seemed very nosy or untrusting. It made us a little uncomfortable. And you can hear ev.er.y.thing in the bathroom from the room. I hate to sound so negative, but feel the other reviews glossed over the negatives. If you're looking for a low cost first, comfort second, this is the place. But the other b&b's we stayed at in Italy were of much better value for only a few euros more.

Room Tip: Avoid the shared bathroom if at all possible. Also, she never put out a full roll of toilet paper. L...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Nmviajera2011
Columbia SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2011

I stayed two nights and simply loved it. Marcella treats all her guests like family. If I ever get to return, I wouldn't stay anywnere else.

Room Tip: Even the rooms on the street side are quiet with double paned windows.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2011

A friend and I stayed at Casa Rabatti this past September for 3 nights. Marcella put us in the big 4 bed family room so it was great to have all the extra room. Her daughter brought us water when we arrived which was so nice after the 5 hour train ride we had just taken. Everything was very clean, including the shared bathroom. It was fun to talk with Marcella...even with her limited English and my limited Italian we had some laughs! The location is great, less than a 10 minute walk from the train station and only a few blocks from the Mercato Centrale. We really enjoyed our stay with Marcella and I'll most definitely stay here again when I return to Florence!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2011

We stayed for 6 nights in August 2011. Marcella was everything we could have asked for, cheerful, helpful, and knowledgeable. The room, bathroom, etc. were very clean and comfortable. Most sights were no more than a 10-minute walk , with plenty of restaurants, grocery stores, and coffee shops nearby. Free internet worked great. Marcella was able to call and make museum reservations for the same day, although the website said they were fully booked. We used her fridge to store fruits and snacks, and she willingly lent us plates & cutlery. The place is located on a quiet residential street.

I wish every place we visit had a Marcella we could stay with! Thanks to Rick Steves for his recommendation...we have never gone wrong using his guides!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple