“smooth, no hassles, great bikes”
Review of Florence by Bike

More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 14 October 2013

My wife and I rented a couple of carbon road bikes for one day to ride out into the hills/countryside of Tuscany from Florence. We reserved online about a month or two before our vacation (from CA, USA) and prepaid for the discount. We walked in on the morning of our reservation, got two great quality bikes, got directions to the Via Senese, and we were off. No problems at all with the bikes or rental (we appreciated the granny gear on the hills - we ended up on a couple of big ones).

Reviewed 11 October 2013

While on vacation in Florence in October, I wasn't sure if I would have time to ride, but a window of time opened up. I went to the shop the night before and they were able to hook me up with a decent road bike (Willier with Campy Veloce), and more importantly, provided me with a route recommendation that quickly gets you out of the city and into the rolling hills of Tuscany, including maps with the route highlighted. The staff all spoke English and forgave my butchering of the language. The route back into Florence passed by the American Cemetery and Memorial from WWII, and despite it being closed due to the ridiculous budget impasse, I went around the gate to pay my respects. A beautiful memorial.

My only gripe - they do not clean the bikes. If you touch the wheels or portions of the frame you will get dirty very quickly.

1  Thank SunderPDX
Reviewed 10 October 2013

In what may have been the busiest bike-week in Florence's history -- the week of the UCI World Championships -- I rented a bike from Florence-by-Bike and was quite pleased by the service they provided.

I've rented bikes on other trips and it's never gone so smoothly. I connected with FbB through their website and then via e-mail. The communications were easy and sufficiently detailed. When I arrived, my bike was ready, and there business details were exactly indicated in the e-mails. The bike fit properly and operated smoothly. I was given maps and advice for accessing the race courses as well as for rides through the vineyards and olive groves across the river.

The bike was a carbon frame Willier with a triple chain ring and a low-end Campy component group (mostly Veloce). Serviceable and sufficient for what I was doing. I reserve the 5th star and excellent rating because I felt the rental price was a bit too high for the bike. That said, the certainty of the service I received was worth a premium. When/if I return to Florence I will look nowhere other than Florence-by-Bike for all my cycling needs.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

I pre-booked a road bike for 4 days during the recent World Cycling Championships held in Florence. There was great email communication by Lia leading up to the trip and everything was ready and set up when I arrived. The whole experience was straight forwarde and easy because the staff spoke English and there was no misunderstandings reference the hire. Request for SPD pedals had been attended to and helmet, tool-kit, lock, pump, water bottle and spare tube were included in the hire price. All I had to do was adjust the seat height and ride away. The MTB was a Willier 18 Carat and in exellent condition but not the lightest bike by any means although it suited my needs entirely. Some of the minor roads around Florence and Fiesole resemble 'off road' conditions and the MTB was ideal. To sum up I would recommend Florence by Bike to my friends and would like to thank them for a great week's cycling in beautiful Florence.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

Everything about renting our bikes from Florence by Bike went smoothly and worked out perfectly for us. The hybrid bikes were in very good condition and worked flawlessly for our three week tour. The waterproof 40 liter panniers were part of the rental fee rather than an add on. The trip planning advice was very helpful and the staff were attentive and tried to anticipate our possible needs for a longish tour.