“Wonderful,”

More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 23 December 2013

I rented from Florence By Bike for the entire day. They have a terrific selection of bikes in excellent condition and Bira folding bikes too. They organize bike trips and have an excellent selection of bike clothing. I bought a really nice Florence by bike jacket. I had a wonderful time renting a bike and seeing the sites in the city by bike. It was easy chaining the bike along various areas in the city.

Thanks again Florence by Bike will rent again next time

1  Thank BrennaBee

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Centrally located business with a friendly staff, willing to help you from the moment you get through their door. Bikes in excellent condition [with safety checks], locks and bags provided and a fairly good rate. We paid 21 euros per bike for 5 hours. More than enough to have fun round the city

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Ill start off by saying we are two competitive and avid cyclist. We rented bikes for a self guided tour in the Tuscan hills. We had loose plans but secured bikes from florence by bike in advance. When we got there she informed us we were a day late. When I returned home I checked and in fact we were not: they charged us anyway. We went to get the bikes in the back of the shop and the mechanic (tall slender man) seemed annoyed we were there. We offered to help get the bikes down since he was struggling and he shooed us off. I asked for SPD pedals on one bike and that was not done nor did he seem like he wanted to. I offered to do it myself if I could borrow a pedal wrench. We are,co owners of a bike shop ad can do any repair. He gave my male friend a woman's touring bike but at this point we just wanted to get out of there! They asked if we needed anything else?? Umm, I don't know? Do we? It's YOUR shop. We told them we were touring so we figured panniers,locks, repair kits etc would be included. We had to request them. We made our way out of the back feeling dejected. The lady up front was to ring us up and provide us with maps. Wow! She gave us 3 city maps for 190 miles of riding!! We were shocked! She scribbled on them with a pen and even scribbled out some prior suggested routes which confused things further. We are smart and well traveled so we thought we would go ahead anyway despite the horrible treatment at this shop. The ride was great! The maps were pretty much useless! I had to use my phone GPS as the maps did not show all roads. Unfortunately 2 days into the ride there were very strong rainstorms and we had to train it back to Florence. We were dreading dealing with this shop again and rightly so! They inspected the bikes with a fine tooth comb and even sprayed water from the freewheel into my face as i was unpacking my pannier! No apology! Not once did they ask how it was or offer to give us any $ back for weather. So we paid for 5 days of riding and rode 2. I will never use this shop nor will i recommend it to anyone, ever! I think they were still on a high from the world championship race that had just come through town. They didn't need our business and acted the same. Worst experience of the entire trip. I would absolutely ride the hills of tuscany again but will definitely use another more friendly company with less of an ego. I'm sure they treat the guided customers( $$$) better or they would be out of business. Don't use them for a self guided unless you want un tuned bikes, horrible service and free city maps to guide you in a foreign country! Can't say enough about the horrible experience. And I'm not difficult to please.

5  Thank Lolindy
Florencebybike, General Manager at Florence by Bike, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Hello!
Reading your email was somehow shocking, considering all the great reviews that we have on tripadvisor and on the web in general, as you may check, and almost 20 years of positive experience on bike field!
We rent hundreds of bikes every year, and some of our customers are cyclists, some of them avid cyclists, some others just people who love riding here and have fun.
We normally are very careful about reservations and try to offer the best and reliable service to those who want to reserve bikes in advance. To err is human and we might have made a mistake in bike size, considering a bike frame for a woman instead of one for a man, or providing a bike without spd pedals. Anyway all of our bikes are always provided with most necessary equipment, but not everybody needs same gear, this is why we normally ask.
As for maps, we are specialised in Florence Chianti, and we normally provide a very well detailed city map, a map that helps to get out of Florence through the area south of Florence that is the area of Impruneta, with a detailed route out of town and another general map of the area between Florence and Siena, which covers hundreds of miles.
Providing 3 city maps I am sorry but this sounds very strange!
The mechanic could not accept your kind help as it is risky to have foreigners working inside the shop, for obviously understandable insurance reasons.
I am very sorry that you feel you have been treated in a horrible way and it is very sad that Florence by bike has been your worst experience in all Europe.
I am glad you enjoied riding in Tuscany, at least you will have nice memories of our marvellous region!

Reviewed 4 November 2013

I rented a Wilier carbon road bike for 4 days at end of October to enjoy the area. As this was a family trip (flights), I had decided that lugging a bike bag on top of cases for 4 people was too much like hard work.

The bike was in very good nick all round - good saddle, brakes and new tyres - and came with a triple chainset which I mentally 'prohibited' when I picked the bike up, but was humbled to use on more than one occasion ;-) I took my own pedals and the workshop had them on and off in a second. It's a working local bike shop in an interesting area of Florence.

The lady who served me was very helpful (and also spoke great English) and gave me an extra spare tube and an alun key to tweak my seat height during the week. She also offered me some paper maps, but as I had downloaded some routes for my Garmin this wasn't needed.

Two minor gripes: price is steep at 35+ Euros a day and some GPX download links would be better than paper maps. I would use again though. The surrounding area (I stuck to day trips into Chianti) is a stunning place to ride the bike and will leave you with a thousand memories.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

Note: If you are not extremely picky about bikes you ride, you probably don't need to read this review.

The bikes I received from this shop (Wilier carbon frames with low-end Campy Veloce grouppo and heavy wheelset) easily topped the scales at 21 pounds or above. They also had triple cranksets which had very severe chain lines when using largest cassette cog/large chainring and smallest cog/ small chainring.

I had to realign my expectations when I saw the bikes we were renting. I immediately asked if I could adjust the stem and saddle height based on professional Retul measurements. The mechanic was very dismissive and said "These are how all the bikes are set. We do not change them." The bikes did not have the forks cut and stem spacers were used to fill the area between the headset and stem. The stem was very high as a result.

I mention all this to inform other competitive cyclists of what to expect when renting bikes from this company. Also, make sure to inspect the bike, helmets, etc. before leaving as you do not want to be help responsible to previously damaged equipment.

2  Thank Jeffrey G