“Excellent Hotel - would definitely recommend”
Review of Hotel L'Orologio

Hotel L'Orologio
Ranked #44 of 412 Hotels in Florence
New York City, New York
“Excellent Hotel - would definitely recommend”
Reviewed 10 May 2011

Great Hotel - steps from Santa Maria Novella train station. One of the only hotels during my entire stay in some of the big cities in italy (Rome, Venice, Florence) that I thought was worth the cost. Modern, but not too overwhelming - very friendly, good service, excellent breakfast selection. Will definietly return!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank arpiny11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Pennsylvannia
Reviewed 9 May 2011

On the whole this is a very nice hotel that hits all the right notes. The decor is modern but elegant (dark wood, wood floors), the rooms are of good size (some astonishingly so), the bathrooms have either tub/showers or larger walk in showers. Some bathrooms are huge, others smaller but none are tiny. There is a bar that is underused, and a few tables outdoors for drinks or snacks for which the prices are not too high.

The front desk staff is friendly and helpful and very professional. One woman never smiled, but she was the exception. It is a small boutique hotel, but whenever we required help with luggage there was a bell hop to deal with it. The public rooms are very pleasant and in general the appearance of the hotel and the service matched the price point, which is not low. However, as opposed to where we stayed in Rome, here we felt we got what we paid for.

There is one problem, and I hope that they deal with it. The breakfast is poorly managed. It is a buffet style, which is fine. However, the eggs are always cold (only one burner beneath two trays of eggs and a tray of bacon.) The rolls tend to be sweet ones. The worst part was the service, however. It is not clear that anyone is in charge and the staff are indifferent. They are absent for long periods of time, then arrive to bus tables. Since many tables need service by then they do that and ignore the patrons waiting for coffee to be served. Or, one morning we arrived and the one visible staff member was folding napkins. She let us wait a good while as she continued that chore. As for the coffee---it tastes like it comes out of one of those machines the lower priced hotels now have in Italy. And it often is not hot. Perhaps it is being brought over from their sister hotel next door? While we were there an "inspector" was present one morning, clearly scoping things out and talking to the staff. Better if he had talked to the patrons. All of this is unfortunate, since this is a very nice hotel otherwise, and this is their achilles heel.

We had no problem with housekeeping, although the turn down service was an on again/off again thing.

Regarding location, Florence is such that you can walk to anywhere of interest from this spot. If you prefer to take a taxi, there is one of Florence's few taxi stands right there in the piazza, so that works well too. There are an assortment of restaurants nearby, but I strongly suggest doing some research on them because the proximity to the bus station means they are uneven in quality. The hotels clearly have a reason to push Buca Mario, which they do. The food there is okay but expensive for Florence. Right down the street from Buca, on Via Strada is Marone's which is "home cooking" Italian and always busy, with good food.

By the way, when you arrive the front desk will give you a folder that includes info on private tours. I have priced these, and their options are well priced so worth considering. Also their map marks the taxi stands if you need them. It also marks the "public restrooms" but I'll be darned if I have ever found one other than the new one that is across from the entrance to the Baptistry (very clean, one euro fee, change available.)

Right up from the hotel on the piazza about three doors there is a small restaurant, newish, that is also a wine bar, called Vincanto. Neopolitan pizzas and a chef who creates interesting fusion dishes that are not too expensive. Big wine selection too. It is a nice change from the typical Italian fare and worth a visit on a day when you don't want to go walking out again.

We had free internet, but I do not know if that is standard or part of the rate we paid. We were on the 5th floor--- the top floor---and it worked fine, which is unusual in these older buildings. Also unusual for Italy is that there is tea/coffee making set ups in the rooms.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank writerteacher001
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 2 May 2011

As mentioned in a previous review, don’t believe everything you read here. My husband and I stayed at this hotel for four nights in the lead up to Easter weekend. We travel quite a lot and generally use Tripadvisor for guidance, we are easy going and as long as people are polite and try their best we normally enjoy the hotels we stay in. We booked the Hotel L’Orologio, it was a lot more expensive than we would normally pay but it was our honeymoon and we wanted somewhere really lovely and central. Quite frankly our experience here was not a good one and I’m very surprised that this hotel has so many positive reviews. When we checked in the staff went through the motions, which was fine. They said there was free wifi but when we asked for the code they were extremely put out at having to look for it. I had booked a triple room with a sofa bed as that was all that was available at the time. Our room was very nice but we were put in a double so naturally I enquired about the change and the price. The staff were extremely rude and made us feel we had no right to question this. They had put us in a deluxe double room instead of a triple as this is their normal procedure when it is just 2 people in the room. I didn’t mind this but it could have been explained to us at check-in and this would have saved a lot of hassle, we came away from this encounter very annoyed and disappointed and with the feeling that they didn’t really care about their customers.
That night the heat in the room was unbearable but we got through it. The following night it was still just as hot and my husband rang down the front desk to ask them if we were using the air-conditioning properly as it felt like hot air was blowing at us. The man said that the temperature was fine down at reception, said a quick goodbye and hung up before my husband could get another question in. The following two nights of our stay was equally as hot and uncomfortable. I really don’t know how this hotel copes in the summer.
The final and biggest problem we had with this hotel was the breakfast room. This was just a complete disaster. The room is a nice room with a lovely view but it is very small. There are only ten tables for a hotel with 45 rooms. Every morning there was a queue of people waiting for a clean table. It was normal to see people standing at a dirty table so they would be seated there next but waiting at least 15 minutes to have it cleaned. If you sat before it was cleaned it took longer for the staff to notice you and clean it. In the four mornings we had breakfast there we had to sit at a dirty table each time after waiting in the queue for at least 10 minutes. One morning the waitress just shrugged her shoulders at us as if to say what did we expect. Once sitting and table cleaned, you had to wait for the breakfast food items to be replenished as they were always empty and were replaced one at a time. You might get bread this time but had to wait another 10 minutes for cheese. There seemed to be only two staff members who were run off their feet and they would often disappear into the backroom and wouldn’t be seen for ages. The teapots were not functional as they burnt the hands of you and the staff seemed to spend more time trying to take tea/coffee orders and making them out in the back room than actually cleaning the tables or replacing food. Every morning people looked annoyed and I can’t believe that other reviewers on this site find this an acceptable service for a hotel of this standard.
On a positive note this hotel is in a great location and the bar man was the nicest and friendliest we have come across on our whole trip to Italy.
All in all, this hotel was the most disappointing part of our honeymoon!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank lovelyjubely11
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 24 April 2011

We stayed 4 nights in this hotel in April 2011 and give it a rave review! We would certainly stay here again (and we are pretty picky!). The staff was very helpful and friendly, the room was great and spacious by European standards, the location was very close to the train station and major sites, and the included breakfast was perfect. We also loved the free Internet access! The decor in the hotel is very unique and fun. The small size of this hotel made our experience more enjoyable. Highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank AmyZ_Seattle
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 24 April 2011

Great hotel. Rooms were large, very clean, nicely styled (somewhat modern but not annoyingly so). Staff was extremely attentive and very pleasant. Included breakfast was excellent and was on the fourth floor, which has a nice view. Hotel itself is charming, with a large bar, several rooms off the lobby and is centrally located to all attractions in the center of Florence.

We had one standard double room and a superior triple. The standard double was plenty large for two people and included a king size bed and all marble bathroom.

Only down side was that the free wifi was not available in rooms - just in the wifi area - although we were able to get it in our triple room, if we were situated just right.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank eahearn
Save the Earth
Reviewed 23 April 2011

I usually stay at larger chain hotels (Marriott or Hilton). Since there are no Marriotts in Florence and the Hilton is pretty far away from the city center, I tried this boutique hotel based on the good reviews here. I had a nice stay at a boutique hotel in Rome with excellent service and wanted to give this one in Florence a chance. On the plus side, it is close to the main train station where out of town trains/buses depart from. It is a short walk to the shopping area and the main tourist attractions. On the negative side, my room was the smallest I have ever seen in my whole life and I have travelled in Europe extensively. The whole room had to be not more than 100 squared meters. Also the room is very noisy with thin walls. You can hear doors slamming, people talking in the hallway, water trickling through the pipes in the wall, glasses clinking in the breakfast room, etc. If you are senstive to noise, be aware. The shower was good, but the tub drainage is so slow that by the end of the shower, you are ankle deep in soapy water. The breakfast room is really bad. Once I was waited 30 minutes to get coffee and finally got up and approached a waiter and asked him to get me some coffee. On another morning, I waited over 15 minutes for a table to open up in the breakfast room and rather than waiting any longer, got my breakfast on a plate and took it to my room to have. On a side note, upon check-in, the front desk clerk was so quick to check-me in that he didn't ask if I needed anything including an internet password. So I call downstairs and he seemed annoyed that I called and told me that the porter will bring up the internet password. Also noted that the safe was locked and once again waited for the porter to come figure out how to unlock it. There were no iron or ironing boards in the room, but that is not unexpected for a boutique hotel. Also for allergy suffered, the hotel has a lot of dust. Everything I have written here has been already forwarded to the hotel, so they have already read my review before my writing. Unfortunately they couldn't care less if a guest was less than thrilled about the stay, which speaks poorly of customer service.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank SavetheEarth
orologiofirenze, Direttore at Hotel L'Orologio, responded to this review, 16 May 2011
Dear Guest,
thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to write us regarding your recent stay at our property. We regret you had a bad experience with us.

We always do our best to provide a functional service, with a professional and friendly staff; clean and comfortable rooms as per guest's expectations.

Hoping to welcome you again in Florence, we send our best regards.
Hotel L'Orologio, The Management
North Plainfield, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 April 2011

This was our favorite hotel of the 4 we stayed in while visiting Italy this month. The room was very large, modern and comfortable. Everything is very clean, stylish and modern. Lots of little touches like room light and door lock controls from the bed, speakers in the bathroom and slippers waiting by your bed with evening turn down service. The bed was super comfortable and the room was quiet.
The hotel is in a beautiful piazza, close to the sights and easy to get to (with luggage) from the train station. The staff were friendly, really helpful with directions and offered excellent restaurant recommendations. I looked forward to the morning breakfast buffet. They had a nice selection of good food and great cappuccino. I only wished the wifi internet connection was a little faster. I would definitely stay here again and will highly recommend this hotel to friends planning on visiting Florence.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple