“It was great!!”
Review of Hotel L'Orologio

Hotel L'Orologio
Ranked #44 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 27 July 2011

We really liked our hotel. The room was huge with incredibly high ceilings and dramatic drapes to go with them. The bathroom was also very big. The front desk was very helpful but needs more people during peak times.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank AG07
There are newer reviews for Hotel L'Orologio

Reviewed 24 July 2011

This is a hotel to be loved for! I chose it only based on TA reviews and was very happy I did as my stay was almost perfect.

I had booked and paid a room with a square view (apparently 3rf floor), but after reading the rewiews (at booking.com) where some people were mentioning that for those rooms that are right under the breakfast room (4th floor) there can be some noise in the mornings, I sent an e-mail to the hotel to ask for the room at some other location, as I'm very light sleeper. They more than filled my wish and provided me with a lovely spacious room on the 5th floor with lovely roof and Duomo view.

The location of the hotel is excellent. It is a walking distance everywhere and I very much appreciated the close location to the railway station and bus station, as I made some daily trips.

People have written here of the lack of space in the breakfast room. That can very well be the case, as breakfast room is relatively small. I was always there in 5-15 minutes after it had been opened, so everything went just fine. There were free tables, lots of fresh food, I got my coffee quickly. But I can imagine it can get busy later, especially as at least early in the morning I saw there only one employee.

My only complain relates to Internet. I was kindly guided to the computer on the ground floor, when I asked if there is a computer I could use to check in to my flight. However, the receptionist did not care to tell me that I need the password to use the computer. So, I run back to the reception to ask for help "as the computer does not seem to work" - "Are you sure you have written your password correctly" - "Which password, you did not provide me with any password". With password I then went back just to realize that I can not print my boarding pass". Back to the reception; "You can't print it there, but if you wish, you can send it to our e-mail and we will print it for you" - "Could you then please provide me with your e-mal address"- "Oh, you do not have it?" - No, I did not think that I need the e-mail address of the hotel reception when I was in the hotel next to the reception!

But that was really my only negative moment in the hotel. The receptionist was wonderful when I got late in the evening to the hotel without my luggage (that Lufthansa had left in Frankfurt). They asked if they should contact the airport to help me to get the luggage - and I told that it was apparently already on its way to Florence and that the airport had promised it would be transported to my hotel before noon (and it was). The receptionist then asked if I wish the luggage to be delivered directly to my room and was very happy for this offer as in the morning I was already visiting lovely Uffizzi. When I came back, the luggage was waiting for me in my room. I was also provided with tootbrush and toothpaste from reception. Lovely gesture. They also provided me with lovely guidance how to find Duomo, Uffizzi, how long it would take to get to Uffizzi etc. Great assistance!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank MaijaH
Reviewed 18 July 2011

The hotel is ideally located as only 5 mins from the train station and then a very short walk to all the major attractions. When we arrived I was very pleasantly surprised - I could tell we were going to enjoy our stay, and I wasn't wrong.

Our room was clean, spacious and very comforable. The bathroom was luxurious, and the toiletries were really good too. We had a drink in the hotel bar and sat outside on our first evening. The drinks are pricey, but you get a great selection of nibbles so it is worth splashing out. We had a great couple of nights sleep, the hotel was so quiet.

The only downside was the rather rude lady who was running breakfast. We went to breakfast 15 mins before the end of service, and things were starting to run very low (no fresh fruit left etc). My husband asked if he could have some eggs (as they had run out) and she made a point of looking at her watch, shrugged her shoulders and then headed off muttering something. The eggs were delivered shortly after, and were delivered with the same bad attitude. I don't think this is the level of service this hotel would want to deliver, as it was very good service in all other areas. It did make us feel uncomfortable though, especially as the same miserable lady was running breakfast on our 2nd morning!!

It was a minor issue though, and don't let it put you off what is otherwise a really excellent hotel

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TheMacs47
Reviewed 14 July 2011

We chose this hotel because of the reviews on Trip Advisor and we were not disappointed. I travel all over the world for business and this hotel was fantastic. The hotel is located in an excellent part of Florence near shopping and all major attractions. The hotel rooms are very large and modern and the beds are extremely comfortable. The bathrooms are large and spacious and even feature rain shower heads. This hotel should really be 5 stars and only lacks that rating because it does not have a full service restaurant. It is a gem of a hotel!

Room Tip: We stayed in 312 and 313 and they were very quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank stephmikecarter
Reviewed 13 July 2011

great hotel in a very good location... close to all major sites but still away from the crowds.
hotel room very clean and hip well working wi fi internet and delicious breakfast in the 4th floor over looking town. great choice.
stuff in the front desk are very helpful professional and ready to help with anything- only thing they will never smile being very serious for some reason.. i am not sure why??
next time i will definitely go back .
enjoy!!!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nyorker3331
Reviewed 9 July 2011

I love this hotel from the breakfast to the service. This hotel is in a perfect location in Florence you can walk to any part of the city but still have it quite and beautiful. I am returning to this hotel soon so i will let you know if it is still as great as it was last year.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 July 2011

This hotel is rated as a 4 star but in my opinion should be a 5 star. It is a recently renovated old Florentine Palazzo that has been converted to a hotel and they did it right!
The hotel means watch or clock in italian and the hotel theme is all about high end watches. Each room has a name of a famous maker watch. Our's was the "Explorer" by Rolex. The room sizes are huge for European standards and the bathrooms very luxurious and BIG. Full size bath tub , rainshower.. Very nice amenities. The location is great right on the Piazza Santa Maria de Formosa, walking distance to the train station. It could get a bit noisy after the bars closed, we could hear people walking on the streets and there is alot of people that hang out on the piazza at night, people watching +++.
We definately will come back. The staff was very knowledgable and friendly. The hotel's breakfast room is very nice with a view of the piazza, Great food selections. You will not be disappointed with this property!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family