“A hidden gem in Florence.”

Antica Trattoria "IL BARRINO"
Ranked #432 of 2,676 Restaurants in Florence
Price range: US$20 - US$27
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Palm Springs, California
“A hidden gem in Florence.”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We loved the owner Margaritte, her friendly staff, the food {mama mia} and the ambiance! This place was so special that we went back the following night. My sister and her family went last month to Florence and upon my advise dined there as well and loved the experience, The trattoria has been in business since the 20's in the same family. I sent a birthday card for my sister to the restaurant and it was presented on the night of her birthday. I cannot say enough good things about this place, if you have one choice, make it here and enjoy the fabulous company of these dedicated Florentines! You might be the only non-italian there so practice up on you phrases! Grazie di tutto! ci torneremo! Thank you for everything, we will return!

Visited October 2013
1 Thank robertnkenn

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
Houston, United Kingdom
“Turn around”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Went to this restaurant as reccomended by my hotel. My husband and I were the first to arrive and ordered the ozzo bucco and guinea fowl. Both meat dishes were very fatty and we had to ask for a glass of chianti since all they showed was bottles on the menu. While sitting there we had to deal with the mosquitos whuch does not say nice place for dinner. We asked for the check and then waited for 25 minutes until I walked up to the front to pay for it since they were clearly ignoring us. A waste of money and time and I would turn back around and find another oseteria in the area. There are several around.

• Visited April 2014
3 Thank texastravelersrc
Washington
“For locals ………………. and gournet tourists”
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Small restaurant frequented by locals. Went there with a five long time Florentines and I was the only foreigner in the place. It is out of the way from tourist spots, although still in the middle of town. For most visitors it will have to include a taxi ride. It is a family run place, with personal touch, with customers that have going for ages.

The food is indeed local for locals, not local for tourists, as other places advertise. Yes, they have the bisteca fiorentina and regular pasta, but……….. In our table we had such specialties such as beef cheeks in wine sauce, deep fried brains, pasta with tripe, fried rabbit and the traditional pasta with ragout and some salads. If you are ready to try something different, this is it. I had pasta with beef ragout as first course and slightly breaded fried rabbit as a second course (frito fiorentino). It took me a while to realize it was rabbit, I thought it was deep fried chicken. It came with fried artichokes. It was very delicate. For desert I wife had a breaded calf chop and it was one of the best I have ever tried. We had an extraordinary apple strudel.

Recommended for those that are tired of pizza and pasta

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank antoniov
Rockport, Washington
“Rip Off”
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Went to this restaurant for dinner and spent a fortune! They definitely knew we were tourist and took advantage of us! It is a nice small restaurant and the food was OK, but they way overcharged us! As soon as the restaurant got busy, the locals got all the attention and we just sat there!

• Visited November 2013
Moscow, Russia
“really Italian”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Located on via Gioberti. Authentic Toscanian food. Both owner and personnel are affable. Asked to recommend me wine, and got Canaverso. Wine was too bad to drink. They changed the bottle to another one (Chianti) with no extra charge. We shared Tomato Mozzarela (4), Fresh pasta with truffles (5+), florentine steak (4) and pannacota (5). Good experience. A bit noisy, but it's typical Italian.

• Visited September 2013