Il Boccale
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Uffizi
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

When we were looking for another place, we stumbled upon this one, offering a good priced 2p menu, and had a great meal of sliced meat. Underrated in my opinion. Friendly staff indeed!

Reviewed 19 March 2014

If you have noticed I eat out a great deal, travel a bit and review on TA. I have to say that this was the BEST meal I had on my latest trip to Europe! Now let me first say that I value all the reviews and feedback we all give. I would also say timing is everything! As fate would have it ours could not have been better. On our 2nd day in Florence we went out late for dinner, 9:45...
We went to visit Cacio Vino Trallalla which is super highly rated on TA. Unfortunately we got there and they told us they were closed, no worries it was late. As we walked back to a place that we knew was open just a couple doors down was the open door of il boccale. Their sign was in and they were obviously closed but we said " hey might you still be open?".. He said in totally broken English " For you sure", mind you they really long closed. The owner showed us the a small table in the back and brought menus and a couple glasses of red wine, nothing special but local table wine that was just fine.

At first we said we would like to have a couple things off the menu but then at the last minute just said
"Please you just bring us what you like". And that my friends is where the best meal we have had on this entire trip begins!!

He brought out bread, again nothing special but the typical bread you get across Italy, nice olive oil and balsamic as well. Next the Caprese came, simple but fresh and wonderful, see photo!

We were just relaxing all alone in the really great setting when our main course came. No idea what it was called but it was very thinly sliced steak, cooked rare, over romaine and finished with very thinly sliced cheese. Parmesan, I think but not 100% sure. Anyway it was wonderful!! The owner who is a big Yankees fan, although it was really impossible to talk baseball, was so kind and the fact that it was now 11:30 mattered not.
This to me was what everyone dreams about when they come to Italy, the owner is closing and asks you in for a great meal, great wine and a hearty thank you when you leave.

While I am sure the other place with its 1000 great reviews on TA is great, I can say I had my most memorable experience because they did not want another customer and the folks at il boccale gladly welcomed us....

I am not saying this is the greatest place or others might have had a less than perfect experience but as one who has traveled a bit I was totally impressed and will return again to see if they can match the magic of tonight. March 18, 2014........cheers

Reviewed 3 March 2014

on our first night we were drawn to this resturant but we were a bit dissapointed, the food was good but the service was poor, the staff barely smiled and were slow to serve us, the bill was dumped on our table and after we paid noone even aknowledged that we were leaving fortunately we found several other friendly places to eat during our stay

Reviewed 12 November 2013

It's our first day to Florence and everything was great until we stepped into this restaurant. Slowest service and longest waiting time in our two-week trip in France and Italy, I could bear that. But when I found a dead fly underneath the salmon in the dish, it's just SO TERRIBLE!!! The waiter took the dish away with the word "sorry" only once, then came over and asked me to pay for the other orders immediately. Holy crap! You proved that you can do worse!

Reviewed 18 October 2013

We ate here in August during a four day stopover in Florence. First night - dinner here; second night - dinner elsewhere; third night dinner here! you get the drift. This was an excellent little restaurant. It was amongst the best we ate at in Italy - and we went to: Rome; Pisa; Pompeii/Naples; and Venice. We would thoroughly recommend it for delicious, handmade food. Truly yummy - and not expensive. I agree with Mom2SJJ - this was a terrific hidden gem to be fully recommended.