“Best kept secret in Florence!”

Ristorante Buca Poldo
Ranked #248 of 2,676 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, After-hours, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Uffizi
Ann Arbor, MI
“Best kept secret in Florence!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

I am a tour guide and come to Florence often. I am always surprised that Buca Poldo isn't always completely booked. I think this is due to the fact that you need to peek down a little alleyway, off the Piazza della Signoria, in the Palazzo Vecchio/Uffizi area. All of the restaurants directly on the piazza are overpriced and the food is terrible. Do yourself a favor and take just a few extra steps to find this gem of a restaurant.

There is a sign pointing toward the restaurant, near the edge of the Piazza heading toward the Ponte Vecchio, it is easy to spot. I just came from dinner there, after finishing a tour of Venice. I needed a good meal and good company. Buca Poldo was my first stop upon arriving in Firenze. They are lovely and take great pride in their food. I had the crostini toscana to begin, then the tagliata al manzo (sliced rare steak) on a bed of arugula. Unlike many Italian restaurants, the potatoes come included, you dont need to pay for an extra side vegetable.

I had a vernacchia di san gimignano with the crostini di fegato, then a great red wine with the beef (sorry, i've forgotten the name but it was only 5 euros and worth every penny!)

I then had a perfect panna cotta, super creamy and not too much gelatin or sugar added. Just creamy, delicious, wonderful panna cotta.....topped with fresh sliced strawberries. They then offered me a digestivo on the house...something called amaro di capo. It was the perfect finish to a perfect meal. I'm not big on amari but this one was great and hit the spot after a nice big meal.

They have great outdoor seating in summer, and a cozy atomosphere inside as well. If you are in the neighborhood of the Ponte Vecchio, Palazzo Vecchio or the Uffizi, don't eat enywhere else! Even my Italian friends when they come to visit me in Firenze say that Buca Poldo is the best deal in the area! I really almost never eat anywhere else at this point. They do such a lovely job with everything.

Buon appettito!

• Visited July 2014

Sydney, Australia
“Wild boar in a stew”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

We ate here with our small tour group. We were well looked after and food was good. I ate wild boar stew on a polenta mash. Different but nice and recommended. We ate inside which was comfortable after a long day exploring Florence. The restaurant is hidden down a side street but I recommend you go there.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank John M
Rome, Italy
“Great Gem if a restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

I had the chicken and friends had the homemade pasta all dishes were excellent. Chicken breast was tender. Potatoes were delicious and the host was great. I wanted to eat there again but opted to continue to try as many restaurants as possible during this visit but will return here.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Hoga123
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Delicious!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Stopped here for lunch and loved every second of it. The fixed price menu is definitely worth every penny. The fresh vegetable soup was delicious and the grilled beef and roasted potatoes were amazing! The cut of beef was just the right amount and was cooked perfectly! You could really taste the smokiness of the grill. Bruschetta and ravioli were good too!

1 Thank xoamyhope
Swanmore, United Kingdom
“Tucked away with a sting in the tail!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

The restaurant was tucked away up a side street. Deceptively large basement premises after the small entrance.
We had 2 courses and half a bottle of wine for 66€ including service. The food was local Tuscan fare and very tasty.
The sting in the tail was that afterwards my wife and I spent all night in the bathroom! probably food poisoning? The only thing we could put it down to was the salad preparation as otherwise we ate different meals. Probably just bad luck on our part.

• Visited March 2014