See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 8 October 2017

Do not stay here. Myself and a friend were supposed to be there for a 6 night stay. However, when we got there, there were 10 guys who appeared to be friends with the receptionist catcalling (stuff including, but not limited to, 'HOW MUCH'). Later in the evening they sat outside out room watching as we crossed to the bathroom.

There was a fridge and an oven in our room - neither of these worked. The floor was dirty. In the bathroom the light switch had been broken and there were exposed wires. When we brought this up at reception we were met with blank looks.

We ended up not even staying one night as we felt so unsafe in every way. When we returned in the morning (there's no one on reception overnight) to tell them we would not be staying, they did not seem surprised but informed us that we would have to pay for the night's stay anyway. My friend enquired as to why they could not take the one night's cost out of the Hostelworld deposit (£70!!!) we were told they didn't get any of the deposit. So, we have now paid 100 euros for a room which was unsuitable for human habitation.

Avoid at all costs, especially if you are female.

Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 September 2017 via mobile

This hostel is one you should avoid if you can. It's not the worst, but it's just, odd...

The hostel consists of rooms spread across 3 seperate buildings which have different key sets and WiFi passwords. For our group of 5 spread across two buildings, this was annoying and jarring.

The facilities were also pretty rubbish. A lot of the toilets had no seat, and in one of our rooms there was no lock! As expected, this resulted in some awkward interactions with our roommates...

Further, the whole feel of the place was just cold and distant. The staff did let (some of us) check in early, but they charged us to store bags on our check out day and were generally quite unfriendly.

If you're desperate I guess it's ok, but otherwise pass.

Date of stay: September 2017
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 June 2017

I would not stay here unless you want to be covered from head to toe in bed bugs bites. Paid for a private room. One bed didn't even have a sheet/blanket or pillow, no air conditioning in 30 degree heat. Whole place smelt of sewage. Requested refund but they told us we had mosquito bites. I have not seen a single mosquito since I've been in Florence. Obviously not their first bed bug incident if you look at the other reviews. Horrible disgusting place ruined our stay.

Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 6 March 2017 via mobile

On the first day when I and my friend arrived the accommodation near to the central station, we tackled the problem of checking in, since the check in time there is not flexible. We then walked in New Ostel and stayed for a night. The next day when we tried to contact the host of the original accommodation, the host rejected our request. We then ask for the help from New Ostel and the helpful staff helped us to contact booking.com and bargained for us. Grazie mille:). The room we stayed is 4-bed female dormitory and it is tidy and clean.

Date of stay: March 2017
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 February 2017 via mobile

Ciao Tutti ,I went to the Ostel hostel for a day/week and stayed for many months
Position is perfect ,Owners staff cleaners all friendly and helpful and genuinely care for the guests comfort and having a pleasant stay in Florence .
I found it clean and any little problems were quickly fixed by management .
It has a good friendly vibe ,fresh air and exercise if you wish ,challenge Kosta to do the plank.
It may not be perfect but for the price location all the wonderful people at the Ostel it was perfect for me .
I will be returning and highly recommend it
Robert Australian