“Great value, moderately clean.”

Central Hostel Florence
Ranked #247 of 304 Speciality Lodging in Florence
Cairo, Egypt
“Great value, moderately clean.”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Overall, my experience was good. It wasn't amazing but I wasn't bothered.

The location is very close to the city centre and it's safe at all times, even after midnight there are always people around and some shops are still open.

The hosts were nice but they barely spoke any English, it was a bit difficult to communicate, you'd probably use a lot of gestures and objects to explain what you want.

Value for money was good. In the room there were 5 beds, and 6 separate small closets with keys, all my belongings were safe.

The bathroom's smell wasn't that good, but it came out of the sewers not the uncleanliness of the bathroom. It was livable but not the best, I don't advise it if you can't stand things that aren't spotless though.

Bring your own soap, shampoo and towels. Towels were provided but the ones I washed at home smelled a lot better.

It was a bit difficult to find the hostel because the street is packed with other hostels and hotels, but it has a separate ground floor entrance, it's not on a top floor.

Overall it made my experience more diverse and I met some great young travelers there.

• Stayed June 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Ribeirao Preto, SP
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Hosts only speak in italian. Was dificult to them understand what I need... But in general the price was good. At the begining I had a little trouble because they lost my resevation then the first night I slept in a cot.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Florence hotels

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I like it. Italian people are very expressive. So I don't bother when they talk loud outside my room. It is just the way they are. The room is clean and the location is great, that's enough for me. The price is very affordable. I stayed 4 nights and enjoyed my staying. Their staff Matteo is also helpful.

• Stayed October 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Very, very basic old school hostel.
Basic shared (non-mixed) dorms, sharing bathroom.
No air con, which was horrible in 36 degrees and humidity of Florence in July.
Very hard to get any sleep with people coming and going in the shared dorm at all hours (admittedly this included me).
No facilities.
Hosts don't speak English.
Cheap (€20 a head).
Available on the day.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Usa, Japan
Reviewed 24 November 2012

Location is about all this hostel has got going for it. It's close to the main train station and attractions. The owners, however, are somewhat rude and unhelpful. I was given the keys & left to discover rooms on my own. When I asked whether the place was locked at night the response I got was 'yes, at various times but you have a key to the gate and door' - I didn't see any gates nor was I shown any. The bathroom was fairly clean but stank like an old ashtray, the noise carried throughout the building and the 'common room' was often used by the owners to watch their tv shows at a loud volume.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Stranger9791
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Absolutely awful. Honestly.

My girlfriend and I showed up and they put us in a different room then we had reserved and told us we would be there for all three nights. Since it had a bathroom en suite (which we had not paid for) we were excited. The next morning, however, they demanded we pack up and switch rooms. Ok...

The room we stayed in wasn't TOO bad (aside from the broken lights and heat), but the actual place itself was miserable. Right outside our window was construction which began promptly at 6:00 each morning. Worse than that, however, were the managers. The two individuals who ran the place were extremely rude. They were up until the middle of the night yelling and running around and then were up at the crack of dawn the next morning yelling at each other down the halls. I'm a heavy sleeper and their constant yelling kept me up.

Worse yet was their response to our discomfort. We were extremely cold in our room and were only provided one thin sheet and a thin comforter. Seeing a closet stocked full of blankets, we asked if we could borrow another. They said absolutely not.

On three separate occasions, my girlfriend was stopped in the hall and yelled at in Italian by the woman running the hotel. Not knowing the language, we have no clue what she was saying, but she would not stop.

In all, we were absolutely miserable here. From uncomfortable sleep to problems with money (we had paid a portion in advance but they denied it), this place must be avoided. It is in a decent location, but it is not worth it. Stay anywhere else. It is just a bad hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 14 June 2011

I spent a night at central hostel Florence along with a friend. We had made an online booking in a 5 bed dorm, so upon arrival we were handed the keys and a map of Florence. The room was ok, not something really special but not bad either. The bathroom, which was shared among a couple of dorms was acceptably clean, though it could have been a bit cleaner. Overall, it was a pleasant experience.
The hostel has a courtyard with tables and chairs where it is possible to sit and socialize with the rest of the visitors. It also offers free linen, which is definitely a plus. However, its best feature is its location. It is really close to the train station (Firenze S.M.N) and to the city centre with all the main sights and right next to a supermarket.
You may find the numbering of the buildings rather confusing, but you can just ask, the locals can help you with that.
As a disadvantage, I would mention that the owner does not speak English, which can make the communication part rather confusing, but this is quite common in Italy, so you should be prepared anyway!
Summarizing, Central hostel Florence was quite cheap, acceptably clean and really conveniently located. If you do not speak italian some communication problems are possible, but I would generally recommend it.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Florence
Ostello del Chianti
Duomo
Academy Hostel
Academy Hostel
#21 of 304 in Florence

Been to Central Hostel Florence? Share your experiences!