“Favorite day in Italy”

Tuscan Wine Tours by Grape Tours
Ranked #3 of 149 Food & Drink in Florence
More attraction details
Owner description: Tuscan Wine Tours is a trademark by Grape Tours tour operator. We organise fun and educative 1 day wine tours starting in Florence. Super Chianti, Wines & Villas and Tasty Tuscany are full day excursions guided by our specialist guides. The tours include visits at high quality farms and lunch in a splendid location is always provided for. Wine Time is a half day tour that includes visits & tastings at 3 wineries in the Chianti Classico region including a light Tuscan meal. We also run 1 day private tours to several different wine regions, always with a wine specialist.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 4 December 2013

This review is well overdue but well deserved. We did a tour with Rebecca back in September and had an amazing time.
There were 4 of us,she picked us all up at the villa we were staying at in Castallina and she had prearranged the entire day for us.. The wine was AMAZING, the food, the oils and the Wine makers were so charming. We were so sad we were unable to ship wine home (to Canada) because of customs, But we did buy a few bottles that only managed to survive 1 day before we drank them after the tour.
Rebecca was so helpful in correspondence and was very friendly and great company for the day. Plus she taught us so much about the Chianti region and the wine. She was so sweet and a great Designated Driver, which we definitely needed by winery #2.
What a treat, Thank you Rebecca!

1  Thank beachbum1982
Write a ReviewReviews (2,620)
All reviews
"tuscan countryside"
in 145 reviews
"highlight of our trip"
in 107 reviews
"would highly recommend this tour"
in 83 reviews
in 36 reviews
"beautiful scenery"
in 45 reviews

Reviewed 2 December 2013

On a recent trip to Italy, my adult daughter and I booked this wine tour out of Florence. Without question, this tour was the best of any we experienced during our time in Italy. This day long tour was conducted by a very knowledgeable and personable guide who chauffeured our small group of eight in a comfortable recent model van through the Tuscan wine country. We toured a commercial winery in the morning and, later in the day, a smaller, family run winery. At lunchtime we enjoyed a wonderful repast at a village butcher shop. The wine tastings at each stop were excellent and accompanied by down-to-earth, but very informative commentary from our guide. At a final stop we had a chance to browse through the shops and stalls of another village which, coincidentally, had a wine festival going on at the time. Very well organized. These people have their act together. Beautiful scenery. Delicious food. Great wine. And by the end of the tour, good friends.

1  Thank James D
Reviewed 2 December 2013

My husband's parents traveled from the US to meet my husband and I in Italy. We were coming from a small island in Africa and were desperate for an Italian vacation. I had booked this tour based on the reviews, the price, limited amount of people on the tour and what was included. It did not disappoint!!!!

We arrived at the tour meeting location in Florence and were introduced to the tour guide whose name was Bernardo, I believe. Immediately he asked where we were from and struck up a conversation.

When everyone arrived, we all got into a very nice and new, air-conditioned van (it was 90 degrees outside) and began the tour. Bernardo had a headset on for those in the back to hear him better and he began with an introduction about himself and them asked if anyone wanted to do the same. Everyone was absolutely willing to and we went through where everyone was from and if they had been there before. I loved the atmosphere that he gave immediately upon arrival! Then we spent probably about 30 minutes through beautiful Tuscany winding around the roads with a clear blue sky as Bernardo began to give a rich history of Florence and Tuscany wine.

We arrived at the first vineyard and started the tour at organic Sangiovese vines. We then were brought to each stage of the wine process (collecting, de stemming, cleaning, pressing, testing, barreling and bottling.) It was incredibly interesting. We then walked to a room where a table was set up for us that had several trays of locally made cheeses, chutney, honey, olive oil and wine. Bernardo then walked us through a tasting and pairing of everything. My husband and I are 26/27 year old expats and have taken several wine tours before (including one in Italy 3 months before this trip!), yet this is the one where I actually learned the differences between tastes on tastebuds and my mouth that I have never noticed before. I was fascinated!!! After we were finished he allowed everyone to use the restroom, by wine and other products and then take pictures.

We then drove to another vineyard which was equally beautiful and we were met but he owner and his lovely dog, Giovanni I believe. The owner walked us around his homestead with Giovanni and showed us the amazing plot of land he had. We then walked through the barreling room which was authentically Italian. They actually play low classical music for the barrels because it has been proven that those wavelengths produce good wine! We then went into the tasting room once again and had another full tasting of numerous wines.

Next we went to a famous butcher's shop who has been on Anthony B.'s show as well as several others. The butcher shop welcomed us with a spread of local tapas and wine poured upon arrival. After about 20 mins mingling, we went to the open-air room next door for lunch and were brought countless local meat dishes family style and everyone feasted. It was lovely.

Last we drove to a beautiful little town full of shops and had free time and the most wonderful gelato.

On the ride back, he continued to offer information as well as patiently answer all of our questions about himself and the area.

Of course the amazing weather was a plus, but I must say that I absolutely loved this tour as did my in-laws. Not only was it beautiful and informational with a small intimate group, the tour guide was simply phenomenal and left us all feeling like we had experienced the perfect day in Tuscany.

1  Thank melody m
Reviewed 2 December 2013

my family and I chose the private food and wine tour and we were not disappointed. Rebecca was so friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable about the food and produce from the area. The chocolate, butcher's shop, oilve olis, balssmic vinegar and wine's were all truly amazing. The highlight would definitely be lunch at the saffron farm a definite must visit. This tour was worth every penny, looking forward to my next trip and tour with Rebecca

1  Thank aapm1003