“Very good hotel and very good staff!”

Hotel Mulino di Firenze
Ranked #30 of 409 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 25 October 2010

We originally booked a room for 3 nights and due to the excellence of this hotel, we decided to take one day off from our next stop in Rome and added to our stay at the Moulino di Firenze. This is a very nice hotel located in the outskirts of Florence and by the Arno River. There is a free shuttle service from the hotel to Florence city center, the minibus stop is at the central Library. We enjoyed being at this hotel very much and also grateful that we were invited to the official grand opening party. I would like to commend the staff in general and the following staff people in particular: Verushka and Antonia at the front desk, Emilio at the bar and Ana at the breakfast room. All and all, our stay in Italy will be remembered in part for being at this hotel. Pity we did not have more time at our disposal to stay a little longer at the Moulino di Firenze.

Reviewed 21 October 2010

It was our first trip to Italy. What a wonderful experience. The Hotel is very new and is improving everyday. The thing we liked is that is was away from the hussle and bussle of the city. And yet they provide free shuttle service to the city center. Another thing we really enjoyed was that the Hotel had the comforts and surroundings of home, not a Hotel. If you want room service go to a "Hotel". We did not come to Italy to stay in a hotel, we came to experience Italy. The Staff and Hotel did just that. The meals in the Restaurant were simple yet very tasty. If you are coming to Italy to relax and experience Italy this is the Place. Getting to the Hotel can be very easy OR very difficult. That will depend on you. If it is your first time to Italy don't expect to know your way around. The streets are different here. If you are flying in just avoid the hassle of trying to figure it out. Just get a taxi. Be sure to have the Hotel address. Thats a given. If you are driving get good clear directions. If you don't and you get lost you have no one to blame but you. All I can say is that the staff was wonderful, the room was cozy and very comfortable and the food was great. I would stay here again and again. Thank you Hotel Mulino Di Firenze!!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
mulinofirenze, Proprietario at Hotel Mulino di Firenze, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2010

Dear Tripadvisor User,

We have to say your review was the review every hotel manager is looking for.
It means we are doing a good job in order to render the stay at the Mulino like a 'home' stay.
Thank you very much!

Giancarlo Carniani
Manager
and...the Mulino Staff

Reviewed 17 October 2010

Truly a fantastic place --one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in. Minutes away from the center of the city but located on the river in a very peaceful and tranquil setting. Beuatifully appointed as well. We arrived on Sunday after about 12 days of touring Umbria. It was our last night and we were loking forward to enjoying the hotel and having dinner just a few steps away --but the restaurant is closed on Sundays! Bummer.

We do hope to return --but I guess it won't be on a Sunday

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MLDSevierville_TN
Reviewed 14 October 2010

Excellent accommodation,
idyllic location,friendly staff,
10 minutes from Florence.
few teething problems with restaurant only been open few months and not enough staff to cope with amount of guests , apparently it is being addressed .and a long wait at the bar after a long day sight seeing again due to lack of staff ( you will notice the staff have more than one uniform )

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 October 2010

unfortunatelly this is the1st time I have so negative memories about the hotel. First of all, I booked this hotel for 2 nights via booking.com in June and then 1 additional night directly from their site - only because I falled in love with the beautiful pictures they have on the site. I had a week trip in Italy and actually didn't need to stay 3 night in Florence, but decided to do so just because thought it will be a nice relaxation after my driving in Tuscany. I wrote to the hotel that only purpose to book it was the nice views and kindly asked to have a room with a nice view.... It took time to find the hotel driving in the middle of never without any signs with the hotel's name. (It is realy not easy if you don;t have a navigation and it is an evening and there is noone on the street to ask. besides the last street is just a one way street what goes between two 4m high walls). I came to the hotel smth. past 20.00 - during the day I got under the rain in Tuscany and all my clothes were wet, I was very tired, since started driving in Rome. At reception the yang lady sad to me that I have booked a standart room (94eur) and these type of room doesn't have a view, but if I want to have a view for the next 2 nights, I should pay 15eur per night in addition. I was a little shocked, since they had 4 months to let me know about this or at least to leave one superior room for all 3 nights.... I came to my standart room - it was nothing similar to the room what you can see on the web. It was dark, crowded with antique furniture and chineese vases, with a stony dark cealing and smelled after old furniture (view to the yard and a roof of the restorant). I was hungry and find a meny of room service. the room service button was not working and I called to reception (at 21.00) and asked to have some food. The answer was they don;t have a room service until the restoran is working. The only option to have the food was going myself with the wet hairs and clothes to the restoran !!!! Reception lady sad they can bring only drinks !!! I think it is a nonsens for the 4 stars hotel. Luckely I had some snacks with me and took a strong dring from the minibar (by the way, there is no vine in minibar at all and it is a Tuscany ! and no snacks:) All the night I was fighting with moskitos and didn't sleep at all :) Next day they gave me another room (superior room is bigger, has a small window, but finaly a view to the river). I was happy even with this. This room did'n have any menu, prices for minibar or any printed info, there was no even bottle opener for the beer or juices from the minibar. I ordered a glass of white vine from the room service and got it for 6 eur (if to be onest, then it was the worst vine during all my trip...) I slept weel, the brekfast was very good, shuttle to and from the center was very useful, another lady from reception nicely helped me with a directions to the closest outlets. Next day I spent driving around in Tuscany and returned back to the hotel smth. past 23.00. I tryed to open my room (what had a separate entrance from the yard), but the card didn;t work, I pushed the door and it appeared opened ! My baggage was staying in an open room during the day ! There was no electricity and I went to reception again. During 25 min I was sitting outside while a gentelmen from reception was going force and back to my room trying to figure out a problem. I was pissed off ! Finally he sad that the problem was because my card was booked for 1 night instead of 2 ! Next morning there was already the 4th person on reception, what I saw during 3 nights and I just payed 322 eur for my 3 nights stay and left... Probably it was just a bad luck for me, but I still cannot reccomend this place for anyone :(

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank ElenaRiga
mulinofirenze, Proprietario at Hotel Mulino di Firenze, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2010

Dear Tripadvisor user,
We thank you for your kind reviews which had our best attention. We were really surprised to learn the quantity of problems described in your reviews which is very different from the opinion of the majority of people which has stayed with us. Anyway let's start from the begininning:
The room you booked was a classic and despite the price the staff had the whole property fully booked and could not upgrade you to a superior accomodation.
Signage to the hotel unfortunately does not depend on us but from the municipality. Being the hotel new it took a few months before they are in place. It's really a problem and we are pushing and pushing to fix it.
Problems encountered in the room: I have checked and inspected the room you stayed in and the only problem I found was the not working telephone which has been fixed.
We are investigating the other problems mentioned abot service. We have had no problems since your review but management is doing a deep control.

Hotel Mulino di Firenze
The Manager

Reviewed 8 October 2010

You can not fault this hotel. The setting is beautiful, the rooms stunning and the staff are beyond compare. The free shuttle bus to the city makes life so easy. After a busy day in Florence you can return to a peaceful oasis where you can just put your feet up and relax. I think this is one of the nicest stays I have ever had and I would not hesitate to go back. If only all hotels were this great.

Reviewed 17 September 2010

My husband and I chose the Mulino di Firenze because it was out of the hustle and bustle of the city and looked like a charming place to stay.

The Not So Good:
Before we left home for our trip to Italy, my husband emailed the hotel to find out how to get there from the train station. The response he received said to take bus 23B towards Nave a Rovezzano and get off at the last stop...the hotel is 600 m from there (no directions beyond that). Good thing we didn't take the bus the first night we arrived with all of our luggage because we ended up taking it the next night and got totally lost. We got off at the last stop and nothing looked even remotely familiar. We walked for a while, but it was night and we didn't feel comfortable wandering around so we decided to call the hotel. The woman at the desk told us we were on Marco Polo when we explained our surroundings and so we asked if she could call us a taxi...she said she couldn't because she didn't know where we were and just gave us the number for the taxi company. We called the taxi company and were hung up on because the person apparently did not speak English. So we had no idea where we were, how to get back to the hotel, and on top of it all, my phone was going to die. Luckily, we stumbled upon a Holiday Inn and asked them to call us a taxi. One minute later, a taxi was there. As we rode back to the hotel, we realized the bus stop we were told to get off at was nowhere near 600 m to our hotel.

We also chose this hotel because it's new and I figured it had to be clean. The first night, I noticed that I could see little black things through the sheet on top of the mattress. Plus, the bathroom wasn't all that clean.

The Good:
The breakfast was very good with a large assortment of pastries, cereal, eggs, bacon, juice, etc.

The view from the hotel was beautiful on the Arno river.

The shuttle service into the city was a nice thing to have and the times ended up working out well for us.

The food at the restaurant was very good.

Free wi-fi.