Positive: Overall the hotel is nice, clean and comfortable with very nice staff. However I have an issue with the additional services. Bottom line is make sure you know what you are getting and reconfirm a day before as I did not and I was extremely dissatisfied with my tour, I felt I wasted my money.
When I booked at Hotel Dei Macchiaioli I received an email regarding "Special October Rates" for hotel guests for walking and driving tours. I confirmed a trip with Marco for a tour of Tuscany via email. He said he was flexible and we agreed through email on 11:30 to 5:00 (5.5 hours) trip to winery/lunch, winery visit and visit to San Gimignano.
A couple of reasons for my dissatisfaction:
1. We believe Marco forgot as he did not show up with our confirmed time at 11:30. Upon checking in I told reception we had a tour the next day, they said if you confirmed with Marco he should know. Starting at 11:30, the hotel had to call him a couple of times while they kept saying 10 more minutes. About 20 minutes into it we were told he had trouble with his car. 45 minutes waiting in the hotel another driver shows up. If we had trouble with his car he should have called the hotel to tell us, instead we had to call him asking where he was. His actions pointed to he forgot that he had a reservation.
2. The new driver tells us we have 4 hours exactly, which I told him we confirmed more -- he also said he was not sure if we could go to any wineries as we did not have reservations - he would have to call. So, what is Marco's service/itinerary that I confirmed? We did go to one winery with lunch (which was nice) and a very short visit to a town, we had time to walk quickly through it.
3. While driving, the driver said he called his boss and we have 4 hours - I asked him who he worked for and he would not tell me. If there is nothing wrong with this - why not say.
For the reasons above I feel I did not receive the service I asked for and the "additional services" were not as advertised. If I were to do it over, I would probably go with a tour suggested by Rick Steves, Tours by Roberto, or one of the very less expensive tours listed in the brochures in the hotel lobby. Granted with these tours you are with a group of eight people in a mini-van verses a private tour but the intineraries are set and explained. I think Marco is probably better for when you know where you want to go exactly and you need to spell it out for Marco and come with a printed copy and double-triple confirm.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel dei Macchiaioli is a brand new 3 star hotel located in Florence's beautiful historical centre, the perfect choice for those looking to spend a holiday in the very heart of the city known as the cradle of the Renaissance. The hotel is situated in the historic Palazzo Morrocchi, centrally located on via Cavour, one of the city's most prestigious streets. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Agoda, Travel Republic (UK), Priceline, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Hotel dei Macchiaioli reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.