“Enjoyable experience!”

16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Enjoyable experience!”
Reviewed 18 September 2010

After reading many reviews of the Spice Lab I signed my husband and myself up for an evening cooking class with Melanie. Melanie has 2 Culinary degrees, her husband has one, and her father-in-law is an accomplished chef,(he even prepared the bean packet for our bean dish). Melanie was very responsive to our questions prior to reserving our class, with many suggestions on the type menu that was available to cook. It was important to me that my non cooking husband would enjoy himself, since this activity is outside his comfort zone! Melanie is a great teacher, the food we prepared was delicious,( her 7 year old son caught the fish we cooked) and we had fun! Melanie even came to our hotel and picked us up and drove us back. However, I did not realize that cooking in her kitchen or cooking in the Olive Grove were 2 different activities. I obviously did not ask enough questions at the outset. I thought we would cook in her kitchen and eat in the Grove or prepare most of the food in an indoor kitchen and grill outside in the Grove. The website is somewhat confusing,(it does list Pt A Ema kitchen,and the Grove separately) but to me since Melanie is pictured standing in her kitchen a reasonable inference would be that you always cook in the kitchen. It also doesn't accurately describe the Olive Grove's unique rustic qualities,(totally outdoors, although covered, and only outdoor restroom facilities). In my case how rustic it was is crucial since my husband is not an "outdoorsy" kind of guy. Also, it rained the entire evening of our class,which is problematic if you are outdoors. Her actual kitchen is 25 minutes from the Grove so we couldn't get out of the cold and wet weather. Not withstanding the aforementioned the meal we prepared and ate was fabulous and it was a true privilege to be in her family Olive Grove and prepare and eat our dinner where her family prepares and eats all their family lunches from Easter through the fall.

Detroit, Michigan
“Review of Spice lab cooking class in Florence”
Reviewed 8 September 2010

Great experience - would recommend this to anyone looking for some hands-on experience with cooking, Melanie (the teacher) speaks English and is willing to assist with market tours, special requests, and local knowledge. Fantastic!

Natick, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“WOW!”
Reviewed 7 September 2010

Fun and delicious!!! Melanie is so talented, and I just love her teaching methods! I learned so much and definitely recommend her class to everyone looking to taste a bit of Florence. Buon appetito!

oakville ON
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“cooking class in Florence SpiceLabs”
Reviewed 7 June 2010

In May we went with a tour (Spyns.com) to Florence. Spyns organized for us to have a class with Melanie Secciani www.thespicelab.eu for a tour of the market and then off to cook an authentic tuscan meal. it was awesome. Melanie was engaging, delightful and entertaining, as well as an excellent chef and teacher. We toured the market, where we discussed the produce and what to look for, and then we had a tasting of wine, cheese, sausage at one of her favourite shops (wonderful), cooked in the basement of a church and then ate outside in a beautiful backard setting. She provided the recipes and it was truly an excellent afternoon. Melanie was also great with tips for shopping and recommended a fabulous store for clothes (Casini), which we also thoroughly enjoyed. It was a great day.