“A truly Grand hotel”

The St. Regis Florence
Ranked #13 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 22 October 2007

The Grand Hotel Florence truly is a grand hotel as others have noted. My wife and I stayed here for 8 nights in Oct., 2007 and thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

The room was large and elegantly appointed. The bath was huge, the dressing area and entry hall a decided plus. Neither noise nor light were a problem - sleeping on the fantastic canopied bed was really a dream.

Breakfasts in the wonderful winter garden were outstanding and the entire staff - bellmen, doormen, housekeeping, reception and the wonderful concierge desk - were not only helpful and cheerful, but seemed to constantly try to find ways to increase our enjoyment of our stay.

The location is so perfect that the only time we needed a ride was to and from the airport - all of the museums and attractions of Florence are within a short walking distance, loads of fine restaurants (ristorente, trattorias, osterias, pizzarias, pasticceruas, etc.) all with a few minutes stroll, yet never a crowd on the piazza Ognascenti in front of the hotel.

One of my finest hotel stays of the past 50 years!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DaveK3
There are newer reviews for The St. Regis Florence

995 - 1,001 of 1,285 reviews

Reviewed 15 October 2007

This was the first leg of our first trip to Italy. The Grand was an absolute beauty. Our room was huge, our bath almost as big as room. Staff was extremely helpful and friendly. Concierge did everything they could to make our stay wonderful. Location directly on the Arno River was great, within walking distance to everything. The only downside is that any extras (water, soda, room service, etc.) is extremely pricey. Still I would definately recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JAZ425
Reviewed 14 October 2007

We arrived at the Grand as the second leg of our honeymoon and were immediately told we had been given an upgraded room (upgraded to a suite) and in the suite we found rose petals had been placed on our bed and a bottle of champagne had been brought to our room. Similar nice touches abounded.

The room was very nice and spacious, featuring three balconies and Arno views. The hotel is conveniently located a short walk (5 mins.) from most of the happenings in Florence proper. We found the concierge able to helpful in securing museum tickets (although with a significant surchage) and restaurant reservations (with solid recommendations). We used Starwood points to pay for the breakfast buffet.

There's not much negative to say about the hotel -- it's an obvious reach to note that the TV is too small given the size of the bedroom. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank flyer07
Reviewed 12 September 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Grand for 4 nights as the second part of 4 of our Italian honeymoon. Our room was 22, which I was supposedly upgraded to as a Starwood Gold member. That being said, I still paid €628/night (including taxes) and wasn't blown away by the quality. Yes, our room had a great full-on view of the river, but no balcony. I actually think that this was the room I had reserved with no upgrade given. That being said, there was a bottle of Asti in the room, as well as some chocolates.
Bathroom was clean, and well stocked with Acqua di Parma products.
The restaurant downstairs (the one near the bar) was excellent. Food on par with 3-4 star restaurants here in Chicago, and prices actually quite reasonable given the wonderful experience.
The majority of the hotel staff was great. Standouts include the bartender (really friendly guy, into photography...great conversationalist) to the helpful concierge, and restaurant staff. I will say that the woman who initially checked us in was rather testy, but ah well.
The Grand's location is great, just a couple of blocks from the Uffizi, and surrounded by many other restaurants. This hotel really served as a great base for all of our time in Florence, and is out of the way enough so as you are not completely bombarded by throngs of tourists. A quality place to stay at the upper price level of Florence hotels.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank goldmbr
Reviewed 10 September 2007

Stayed here because I recalled a remarkable stay about ten years ago...also, I had amassed an enormous amount of starwood points and was happy to be able to use them for this stay....After all, the euro-dollar exchange rate makes all things E.U. seem incredibly expensive and this hotel adds to the problem by not delivering in any area which is commensurate with its promises and declarations.
1. I called and emailed many times to ensure that I got a room in the original wing with an Arno view with a balcony. I did not leave anything to chance...I even paid for the room from the night before to ensure that it was ready when I arrived and it had not been "given" away to someone else. I paid an enormous surcharge on top of the starwood points for this particular room When I arrived I was told all the rooms in the empire wing were "blocked" in contemplation of a renovation that was not to begin until two weeks after my departure.

The Empire rooms were, in fact, in use; and the renovations started before I left the hotel, well ahead of the August 3rd date which they claimed renovations would begin.

I had checked ahead about the renovations also, because I did not want to stay at a hotel that was just beginning a renovation because it would suggest the hotel was not in its best form.

The renovations, I was told, was not to address the rooms or public areas, but merely a three week period during which the elevator cabs would be replaced.

Suffice to say, our room was very dusty and musty; the hall carpets were badly stained and I did not appreciate a balcony that had a depth of 10". The room was enormous and depressing, the view of the arno faced a huge wall of grafitti scrawl (which I know is not the fault of the hotel). But I resent that i was lied to about the renovaitons and the rooms. I loved the room i had enjoyed in the empire building in the past.,..with a real balcony. I did not appreciate that the elevators and breakfast room went under construction three weeks ahead of schedule..with hammering and banging and closed corridors and general inefficiency.

Worst of all, the concierge were shocking; they treated me unfairly and with a shameless greed unmatched by anything I have ever encountered anywhere.

Florence is beautiful, the Grand is lovely...just dont lie to the customer...dont promise rooms and views and renovation schedules and deliver something else which materially interferes with the experience. Even if I had paid neither money nor points I still would have felt cheated.

I have contacted Starwood Platinum Concierge and Platinum as well as the general manager of the Grand and have had no response to date....I am still waiting.

I recently spent forty days in a large suite at the St Regis in New York and it was lovely...we actually lived there due to a flood in our apt.) and I had a great time at the Gritti,,,,but the Grand was a real let-down,,,,the management should not humiliate guests with their lies

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
5  Thank Dancemacabre
Reviewed 28 July 2007

My wife and in laws stayed in the Grand Hotel in Florence for 4 nights in June 2007. Overall, a very nice experience. The Grand is located right on the Arno river and upon check-in we were provided nice rooms overlooking the river. The rooms are nice size, especially by European standards. The service was good and the morning breakfast was very nice. The only negatives we can offer are some rather "snippy" people at the concierge desk, especially the head man, Paulo, who seems to be having a bad day each day. The patio outside on the front of the hotel is a nice place to have a drink, although it is very over priced ( which was not a surprise) . Nice, central location, close to everything. We probably would go back to this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank LABill
Reviewed 24 July 2007

When we arrived here by taxi from the airport, a hotel employee was able to take our luggage from the taxi. Upon our check-in, we were greeted by a very friendly employee, who spoke excellent English. The employee then took us up to our room, which was amazing. It had a nice, big bed and the two rollway beds we requested. Some very nice wallpaper also caught my eye. Restroom was very nice, with two sinks, and a shower/bathtub along with a spare shower.

The internet at the hotel was also pretty good speed, though during the time we were using the computer, there was a party going on, and sound from the party seemed to "seep" into the room.

Breakfast at the Grand was also delicious, with various pastries, juices, meats, and so on. It did add $100 ($25 x 4 people) per day to our bill, so eat up like you were dying.

The concierge at the hotel was very helpful in taking our room key when we went out into Florence, helping us find out the train schedule from Florence to Venice, and helping us snag a taxi to the train station.

Check-out was a breeze.