“Best of Florence” 5 of 5 bubbles

The St. Regis Florence
Ranked #10 of 421 Hotels in Florence
“Best of Florence”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2014

I know Florence pretty well, and I can assure you that this is the ideal location for visitors to this wonderful city. You're probably trying to decide between the Savoy and the St. Regis, and since I've stayed in both let me give you my honest opinion of how they differ and why I will always stay at the St. Regis from now forward. The S.R. is a few blocks removed from the heavily trafficked tourist zones, which makes it a welcome respite at the end of a long day fighting through the throngs, while the Savoy is right in the middle of a very touristy piazza. The savoy is beautiful, but very much in a W hotel way, and which although lovely, you can experience anywhere in the world. The S.R. Feels like renaissance Italian luxury. I really had a wonderful experience at the St. Regis, the staff is very well trained and make every effort to accommodate any request you can throw at them, with a smile. Now, if there was one thing I would change, it would be the faux floral arrangements in the dining room; no hotel of this caliber should have faux flowers anywhere. I will return to this hotel, and I highly recommend the St. Regis to anyone seeking a truly luxurious Italian experience.

• Stayed August 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
St_Regis_Florence, Guest Relations Manager at The St. Regis Florence, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
Dear JAQS0N Allow me to tell you that we are very glad to read that we delivered an experience beyond expectation, helped also by our exclusive location: just a leisurely stroll away from The St. Regis Florence are sights such as the Uffizzi Gallery, the iconic Duomo and the famed jewelry shops on the Ponte Vecchio to name a few. We will definitely make sure to make you feel like Royalty again should you be able to give us the opportunity. Ombretta – The Guest Experience Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2014

My husband and I stayed at the St Regis in Florence based on the multiplicity of excellent reviews only to find that while the room was luxuriously appointed. In direct contrast to most of the reviews stating that the service was amazing, the key people in charge of the experience we had were abysmal. I don't usually take the time to review most restaurants and hotels since they tend to range from ok to really nice but this was a poor enough experience that it seemed to warrant speaking up.

Good:
Welcome at check-in: very friendly.
Rooms were lovely and had good amenities.

Bad: Everything thereafter, it was not at all friendly.
1. WiFi was not usable. This was a working vacation but the connection was non-existent. I would have called for help when I realized this except the service was so bad (below) before this, it didn't seem worth it to be sneered at.

2. The butler service couldn't be bothered to offer help when I called; the general manager had to be contacted.

My feet were terribly swollen from walking back to the hotel in the heat and because I'm pregnant. When I explained this and asked for help in obtaining Epsom salts he directed me to the nearest farmacia, the directions to which he'd give me when I came downstairs. He couldn't even offer to check with the spa to see if they had something so simple.

If this was an average hotel, I certainly wouldn't have expected more than that, but this is the St. Regis and "no request is too big or small" is plastered everywhere.

3. The Concierge on the desk for both days of our stay was judgmental and rude.

I could see the staff fawning over other guests who clearly expected personalized service and attention but our basic requests warranted him turning his nose up, sniffing, muttering imprecations under his breath at me. All I had done was ask for a couple bottles of water since I was having trouble staying well-hydrated between the hotel and our next stops.

I allowed for the possibility he was having a bad day but he did this twice in two days, being almost pleasant until he was asked for something, then visibly reacting negatively. I can't think of any other hotel that allows their Concierge to insult their guests right to their faces for any reason, much less something as insignificant as water on an excessively hot day.

3. Housekeeping and turndown service do not wait for an answer to their knock. They just walked right into the room on three separate occasions, intruding on my husband and me during our grieving the news of a death in the family, which management had been made aware of. I found this terribly rude and intrusive.

4. Poor response: I contacted the hotel by email after check out. Two days later I have only received an automated reply.

This particular booking was an award stay as I often use that as a trial for whether to return as a paying guest. And perhaps that was the crux of the problem, perhaps this staff felt that award stay guests aren't worth their time and effort. Whatever the reason, I'm disappointed to say that I don't expect there to be a next time with the St. Regis Florence.

Chances are very likely that given how little the hotel cared about our experience, we wouldn't ever recommend choosing the St Regis Florence, nor, quite likely, any St. Regis; it's simply not worth it when we are treated as welcome guests at all our other hotels.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank JacquelineBiz
Dear JaquelineBiz, allow me to thank you for taking the time on posting this feedback. We are constantly finding new ways to improve ourselves and we gladly accept any feedback that will allow us to do so. I'd like to extend my apology and assure you that after looking in to this personally I will contact you in order to better understand what happened. We hope that you will allow us another opportunity to demonstrate our genuine hospitality for which the St. Regis brand is known. Ombretta - The Guest Experience Manager
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2014

I booked an entry level room and was upgraded to river view room with butler.
The room, service, location, views, experience were all 5 stars.
Loved the bed, the free drink and amazing nibbles at 7pm, and the dinner recommendations from the concierge.
I couldn't recommend this hotel highly enough.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank riesu63
Dear riesu63, Most of all, please receive our gratitude for choosing our property and recommending it. Allow me to tell you that we definitely look at welcoming you again, and doubling up our attention, care and level of service for your next stay with us. Ombretta - The Guest Experience Manager
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2014

This was my 3rd trip to Florence but my first time at St Regis Florence, the location is perfect due to it is near to the train station and few blocks of Ponte Vecchio; it is an architectonic jewel; the classic decoration transport us to another age; the rooms are enormous and a must is the butler service; Andrea was very kind and helpful, always with a smile that makes you feel in home! the bar is a must, Giani, an very experienced waiter and bar tender has a wide knowledge with a subtle smile and always with a good recomendation; Christian, the bar manager, is always there, giving that touch of moderinity in a nice palace! of course Ombretta was extraordinary and transmit the joy of been there.
Food: they had an special guest, a chef with a Tuscany menu that was more than delicious; the egg plant (melanzane) that is one of my favorites, lamb in 3 different preparations, tiramisu and a nice wine... the best birthday!!!
Thank you all team and hope to see you soon!!!

Room Tip: A higer floor, best view!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank yoyis12
St_Regis_Florence, Guest Relations Manager at The St. Regis Florence, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Dear yoyis12, Allow me to tell you that it's amazing how in few words you communicate the essence of the last renovation: Florence is filled with heritage and stunning architecture and The St. Regis Florence mirrors all that is amazing about the city. Allow me also to thank you for individually recognize our staff: there is a bit of all our associate's soul in each and every details and I will make sure to congratulate Andrea, Gianni and Christian as they seem to have been your experience's highlights. It would be our sincere pleasure to welcome you back for many years to come. Ombretta – The Guest Experience Manager
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

Located in a very quiet and clean square (next to the Westin Excelsior). We stayed here during our honeymoon. Right from the moment we walked in the door we were treated like royalty. The front desk attendee that checked us in provided probably the best service I have ever received at a hotel (and I've stayed at many nice hotels). It kicked off an excellent start to our stay in Florence, a charming city. The hotel is a short walk to the main attractions in Florence and sits nestled next to the River Arnot.

Our room was nice, great view and very comfortable. We really enjoyed the complimentary champagne and snacks that are served at 7:00 pm for all guests. Each staff member was very helpful (from the concierge to each of the waiters).

We definitely look forward to our next stay here.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Michael L, Allow us first to thank you for choosing the St. Regis Florence to celebrate such important event in your life together as your honeymoon is!
We definitely look at welcoming you again, and doubling up our attention, care and level of service for your future Anniversaries' celebration! We will patiently wait for your return
Ombretta - The Guest Experience Manager
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Beautiful property, great service and the champagne hour is a lovely touch. The concierge staff were very helpful and went out of their way to help us. We were trying to get a restaurant booking and one of the gentleman at concierge could not get through on the phone to the restaurant but offered to pop by on his walk home! Easy access to all key tourist areas.

Stayed August 2014
St_Regis_Florence, Guest Relations Manager at The St. Regis Florence, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear londonfoodie82, Allow me to tell you that our staff takes great pride in being able to provide the most bespoke service possible and hearing feedback such as your is one of the many ways for us continue to improve and grow. It will be a real pleasure for me to congratulate all the Conciergemembers for the unique service they provide you. Sincerely, Ombretta - The Guest Experience Manager
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

Located at the Piazza Ognisanti, overlooking the Arno - just to enter this great hotel is like going back in time. Great decor, art pieces and perfect service from Doorman, to Concierge, Service Staff - the restaurant was superb, and the outside Terrace was inviting for a Morning Coffee - in walking distance to all historic sides - will definitely be back again

Room Tip: Overlooking the Arno
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank hotelier2510
St_Regis_Florence, Guest Relations Manager at The St. Regis Florence, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear hotelier2510, Allow me to tell you that the promise you made of come back is the best recognition to our efforts in delivering an excellent service. Please, do let me know when you're planning your next trip to Florence so I may help you with any of your reservation details prior to arrival. Sincerely, Ombretta - The Guest Experience Manager