“Beautiful and relaxing”

The St. Regis Florence
Ranked #14 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 2 May 2010

I stayed at this hotel with my wife when we traveled all over Italy. When I checked in, I was upgraded to the suite (maybe because I had a status with starwood hotels?). Room was gourgeous and loved the bathroom!
Good thing was that I didn't see any children running around so overall, it was quiet!!
I would recommend to book the one with breakfast included. It's definately worth it! If you want to have it in the room, you can just switched over to room service instead.
I was very impressed with the service and how fantastic my stay was, I truly reccomend it.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,324)

Reviewed 29 April 2010

incredible hotel
friendly staff
fun bar
great location

Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 April 2010

We stayed 5 nights at the Grand Hotel in April and were delighted with our spacious, beautifully furnished room and well appointed bathroom with powerful shower, plentiful towels and toiletries and big fluffy robes. The bed was the most comfortble I can remember sleeping in. We were always delighted to get back to it after a few hours sightseeing! The staff were charming and knowledgeable and helped us courteously with restaurant reservations, train timetables, maps and anything else we needed. Public areas are elegant and well maintained with fresh flowers and sparkling floors.The atmosphere is old world luxury rather than trying to be fashionable or cool. The hotel has a great location on the river, quiet but only a few minutes walk from the centre. Not cheap at all but no more expensive than a hotel of this standard in any other European city. We got a big discount by booking and paying well in advance. Would certainly stay there again.

Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 April 2010

My husband and I stayed 5 nights in the Grand. We walked there from the train station which was only 10 minutes away. The location was excellent, on the river on a quiet courtyard just a short walk away from the major sights. The staff and concierge were very helpful, we travelled to Cinque Terre one day on the train and they helped us with the train times, etc.
We used Starwood points and were upgraded to a charming large bedroom with a beautiful bed and bathroom. Fitness room was adequate, overall a beautiful hotel.

Reviewed 6 April 2010

We stayed in three hotels during our ten day trip to Italy and though they all were excellent, the Grand was my favorite. From the moment we walked through the door, I felt like we were staying with friends. The staff was very caring, from the door men, to the concierge, to the front desk, to the restaurant staff....always eager to help with any request and always there was a smile and greeting as we walked by.
The rooms were spotless, large and beautifully decorated.....Florentine yet modern at the same time. The bathrooms were modern and of course filled with the amenities that we have grown to expect at a Starwood property.
The buffet breakfast was delicious.
Florence is a magical city and we will definitely return to the Grand Hotel when we return to Florence!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 April 2010

My husband and I celebrated our second anniversary in Florence. We chose the Grand Hotel Florence due to its reputation and location. The service was excellent, the room was amazing, and the staff are truly the best. The staff helped us with securing a rental car to travel to Tuscany. They were excited about our second "wedding" service and very helpful with those details, too. Room service is speedy, with a great menu. You feel like a true lord or lady in the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2010

The Grand Hotel Florence is part of Starwood's Luxury Collection. And, that's what this hotel exudes - luxury. Even better - it exudes luxury without any snobbishness. In Rome, we stayed at the St. Regis - luxury with a bit of snobbery from a few, not all.

Nice, smooth check-in process. As SPG gold members, we received an upgrade on the room. Furthermore, SPG members are offered promotions where Starpoints can be used as payment. E.g., breakfast, lunch, etc. The front desk clerk was very friendly and walked us to our room.

Spacious room. Our king bed was two beds pushed together - not a problem. Still super comfy. Lots of bath amenities - standard shampoo+conditioner+lotion, bath crystals, cotton, sewing kit...if you forgot to pack it, no worries. Desk, large tv, walk-in closet between the bedroom and the bathroom.

Great location. The Grand Hotel sits along the Arno River. Short walk from train station, less than 10 minutes to the Uffizi Gallery, and just perfectly situated for reaching several other places.

Take advantage of the great concierge staff. When I couldn't book advance tickets to the Uffizi on my own through the museum website for the day we wanted, I emailed the concierge my request. Not a problem. Small commission per ticket but worth not waiting in line. Even though we traveled in off season, the Uffizi Gallery was the second most crowded attraction we visited in Italy (Vatican tops the list for crowds). During our stay in Florence, the city had a "Taste" event - several restaurants/bars participate in dining deals. The concierge pointed out some of the better deals and some of the better quality places for us to sample. One thing the concierge doesn't know about - Fiat 500 tour - adventurers, do it! I drove a vintage Fiat (double clutch!) from the center of Florence to a winery outside the city!

We thought about using the hotel's laundry services but stumbled upon a laundromat about one block away. You'll save loads of $ if you don't mind spending 1 hour doing laundry (30 min wash, 30 min to dry)! If you don't want to pay the hotel's business center rates, you'll find a very inexpensive internet cafe next to the laundromat. About a 1/2 block from the hotel, there is a little supermarket where we bought wine, fruit, and snacks.

We used Starwood's SPG Cash & Points to stay at the Grand Hotel. It was still pretty expensive but we experienced phenomenal service. Would have been great if I could bring the turn-down service home. Plus the daily chocolates!

2  Thank weluvspg