“Very beautiful and luxurious hotel but overpriced.”

The St. Regis Florence
Ranked #9 of 421 Hotels in Florence
New York
“Very beautiful and luxurious hotel but overpriced.”
Reviewed 12 June 2010

I was able to get a discounted rate and paid about $300 a night. I don’t think I would stay here again. Our room was very nice although we had no view. We faced another room. We were upgraded so I can imagine what we would have gotten. There is very little closet space. I loved the huge bathroom and terry cloth robes and the king size bed was great. However, I feel the hotel is overpriced. Internet was 14 Euro and I forgot the price of breakfast, but it was outrageous. Soda in the minibar was 7 Euro. The hotel is right on the river and very pretty but it’s removed from the main sights which is a plus and a minus. I was on the phone twice regarding a mistaken mini bar charge which was annoying to deal with. The staff was friendly enough although slightly impersonal. I understand why people like it. It's very beautiful but I expected a bit more.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Colorado
Reviewed 2 June 2010

Just returned from 9 nights at the Grand Hotel in Florence. They upgraded us to a suite and it had 2 large windows over looking the Arno. We had a sitting area, huge bathroom and a very comfortable bed! I have pictures if anyone wants to see them. I thought the breakfast buffet was way overpriced at 68.00 Euros for two. I would recommend this hotel!

Santa Monica, CA
Reviewed 28 May 2010

We occupied room #108 for a four night stay. The room was approximately 27x18 feet with a patio overlooking the Arno. There was a nice marble bath room with a shower over the tub....the showerhead was good, a bidet too. The bathroom had an unlit magnifying mirror.....wide assortment of amenities. A single sink with counter space of about 6 plus feet. The bathroom was approximately 100 square feet. Lighting was adequate. Phone in bath room.....2 luxury terry robes. An excellent supply of towels. A walk in closet. A few minor maintenance problems with paint needed to touch up the wood trip on the patio....a small stain in the carpet. Plenty of drawer space. Did not hear any noise from adjoining room.

Concierge desk was excellent....very courteous and extremely helpful. Maid service was very good. Location excellent. Front desk staff were very friendly and tried to meet any requests.

All in all, this is a good choice with a wonderful city.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 27 May 2010

I booked the grand hotel with SPG points + cash, and it was a great deal. After spending some time in Rome, Florence was incredibly beautiful. Although from the outside it didn't look like much, when we walked in it was a totally different hotel..dark, luxurious wood and white orchids. Really friendly staff and excellent service. We also took the Buon Giorno package, which included breakfast at the terrace, an hour of internet and 20% off laundry/mini-bar services for about $23 euro a person, which considering how expensive breakfast is and how much we ate at the breakfast buffet, was a great deal IMO.

Our room was large by European standards and distinctly Tuscan, with dark red carpeting, decorative wallpaper and chandelier and very comfortable bed. Loved the SPGtv, actually got ESPN. Huge bonus as the entire time in Europe the only English language channels were BBC and CNN, which pretty much had non-stop broadcast coverage of the UK Electrions. Good proximity to major tourist attractions. Honestly no real negatives, and I would definitely recommend the hotel to my friends!

1 Thank angiesc08
Virginia
Reviewed 5 May 2010

We stayed at the Grand after being re-routed to Florence during the April volcanic ash episode. It turned out to a wonderful choice - the hotel was excellent with beautiful river and city views. Great location for exploring Florence, helpful and friendly staff and beautiful facilities. Thanks for helping salvage our trip!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Paris, France
Reviewed 2 May 2010

I stayed at this hotel with my wife when we traveled all over Italy. When I checked in, I was upgraded to the suite (maybe because I had a status with starwood hotels?). Room was gourgeous and loved the bathroom!
Good thing was that I didn't see any children running around so overall, it was quiet!!
I would recommend to book the one with breakfast included. It's definately worth it! If you want to have it in the room, you can just switched over to room service instead.
I was very impressed with the service and how fantastic my stay was, I truly reccomend it.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple