“A truly wonderful evening - opera without tears”

Opera at St. Mark's Anglican Church
Book In Advance
More Info
US$70.04*
and up
Florence Concert and Dinner
More attraction details
Owner description: Love Duets’ Concert: you do not have to be a lover of Italian Opera to enjoy this wonderful evening. It’s set in a small church from 1800’s. You have a piano, soprano & tenor performing Opera’s love song and Italian love songs. The setting and performance is overwhelmingly powerful. You’ll be moved to tears by the emotions. Not to be missed.
Winchester, United Kingdom
“A truly wonderful evening - opera without tears”
Reviewed 23 June 2012

I was looking for somewhere special to take my wife on our wedding anniversary. My wife is an opera enthusiast but I am not, so the "Love Duets" represented the perfect compromise. Top quality professional singing literally a few feet from where we were sitting; none of the recitative which I find so tedious; and considerably less than three hours long! Franz Moser was the perfect host - witty and informative without being overbearing - and the timing (9.15pm) allowed us to enjoy a leisurely meal beforehand at the Trattoria Quattro Leoni in Via Vellutini which is a few minutes' walk away. With a glass of bubbly during the interval and plenty of time after the performance to stroll back along the Arno to our hotel (Plaza Lucchesi) for a nightcap, this was an anniversary to remember. Full marks!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Quezon City, Philippines
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
““Intimate Opera””
Reviewed 22 June 2012

The church/opera house is, at EUR 30 per, the lowest cost opera with rave ratings that we found. Because the place is more church than opera house, formal attire is not mandatory and was in fact, not observed by others. We watched “Magic Flute,” which was divided into two acts, a feel-good opera headed by a cast of not more than ten actors and a maniacal pianist who keyed beautiful music for over two hours! The drama was felt due to the intimate set-up and proximity of the actors to the audience. My wife and I had a wonderful evening even if: 1.) I’m not a fan of plays or other theatrical products and 2.) the sopranos/tenors shrieked in languages foreign to my ears. We also appreciated that the opera organizers called cabs for its patrons after the show!

New Orleans
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Great setting and music”
Reviewed 19 June 2012

This location and presentation was a perfect ending to a wonderful visit in Florence. All 4 of us enjoyed the "Love Duets."

Visited June 2012
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The best way to appreciate the beauty of Florence”
Reviewed 17 June 2012

The Opera at St. Marks's was recommended to me by a friend who recently when to Florence himself. He was extremely enthusiastic and told me that if I did anything at all in Florence it had to be this. Well, I made sure to get tickets when I got there and I whole-heartedly agree with him.

First off, the church was beautiful. From the outside, it's just your average beautiful Florence building, blending into the surroundings. Once you enter the church itself, though, it opens up into a high ceilinged, mostly stone room with pillars going along either side. Before the performance and during intermission we were able to walk around and appreciate the architecture and artwork.

The opera was La Traviatta and there were four singers, all very talented. There was no instrumental accompaniment, but the performers were more than able to fill the room with their voices and the performance space was so small that the performers were as able to see you as you them. It was very intimate, which made the performance all the better.

I'm extremely happy to have added to my Florence itinerary. I will not be forgetting this anytime soon.

1 Thank Alex D
Houston
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“An evening you'll never forget!”
Reviewed 16 June 2012

You do not have to be a lover of Italian Opera to enjoy this wonderful evening. It’s set in a small church from 1800’s. You have a piano, soprano & tenor performing Opera and Italian love songs. The setting and performance is overwhelmingly powerful. You’ll be moved to tears by the emotions from the songs and your surroundings. Not to be missed.

Visited April 2012