“Super friendly and accomodating!”
Review of Black 5 Florence

Black 5 Florence
Ranked #307 of 649 Florence B&B and Inns
Smyrna, Georgia
“Super friendly and accomodating!”
Reviewed 12 November 2012

My wife and I stayed here for our honeymoon. The hosts treated us very well. The room was incredible and the view was awesome, especially on the rooftop for breakfast. Breakfast was delicious including the chocolate pancakes. One night the hot water went out, but they fixed it right away and provided us with a bottle of champagne. Check in and check out was super easy. Plenty of good places to eat and sightseeing in the area. I highly recommend staying here and we will definitely be back the next time we visit Florence!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Somerville, Massachusetts
Reviewed 11 October 2012

My husband and I stayed at Black 5 for a few nights in September and were very pleased. The room was stylishly decorated, clean and fairly large and the bathroom was large as well. The bed was also very, very comfortable.

Location-wise, it was ideal. Many trattorias nearby as well as some more casual panini spots, etc. We were able to walk pretty much everywhere though we did take a cab to S.M. Novella train station.

The thing about this place is it's not technically a hotel; there is staff there in the morning to serve breakfast and then I think from 2-6 p.m. so if you are the type of traveler who wants to be able to rely on the hotel to do a lot for you, it might not be ideal. That said, we did take advantage of the staff to make dinner reservations and they were very helpful.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Abbey L
London
Reviewed 9 October 2012

I loved the location and the building. It's not a typical hotel but that's want I wanted, to feel we had a mini apartment/room in a building frequented by locals. The triple was roomy and comfortable. Good beds, storage and bathroom. My three year old had a comfy sofabed and loved the space. I liked the views out to the buildings opposite with their shutters - it is noisy at night (our room faced a street) but we don't mind that, I like being where there is a bit of life. Being just off the piazza where the Santa Croce church is was just great (nice bars to sit out). Good breakfast (though it would have been nice to have more fresh fruit options available) - friendly staff. Thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. Thank you.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 October 2012

I booked our three night stay at Black 5 knowing that it wasn't a hotel. I wanted something that was in our budget with internet, breakfast and a great location and Black 5 seemed to fit the bill. Check in times worked well with our schedule so that wasn't an issue, but not having someone at reception to help with receiving our luggage that (finally) arrived at night was. We had to rush to finish dinner across town and hustled to meet the guy that was delivering our bag, who had our cell number. The room was TEENY TINY. You see the pictures and read the reviews of the large, beautifully decorated rooms. We did not have that, and paid full fare. They do not have wifi, only LAN, which they should definitely change. But they were nice enough to give us the reception wifi password to use although it did not work in the room. Breakfast was ok, not the best we had on our two week trip by far. But the location? Excellent! Very close to Santa Croce and only a 5-10 minute walk to the Duomo. Probably wouldn't stay again but we didn't have a bad experience.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
San Jose, California
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I stayed 3 nights at Black 5 in August. The stay was pleasant, especially with their nice AC in the summer days. Check-in time is kind of limiting, so you have to plan your schedule around it. The room I had has a good size and has a mini fridge and a safe. The bathroom is nicely furnished for European standard. The room was cleaned everyday nicely. Breakfast is nice. It has standard choice of bread and cheese and ham. But the cleaning lady would make you a hot pancake and fresh coffee when you show up for breakfast. Breakfast is served on the top floor. Step outside to get a good view of the red roofs of Florence.

I have to mention the great help I got from the cleaning lady. I wish I had gotten her name. She does not speak much English but she is good at understanding and accommodating your needs. On the day I left I had 30 minutes to catch my train. She called a taxi for me. I hurried into the cab. 6 minutes later I got a call from my friend who lives in Florence, telling me that I forgot my passport in the safe in my room. Turned out the cleaning lady checked the safe as soon as I left, saw the passport and ran downstairs to find my friend in the attempt to contact me. I ended up taxi back the Black 5, picked up the passport, rushed back to the train station and boarded the train as the final boarding whistle blew. To me this is a sign of experience of the staff and they are willing to spend extra effort to help their guests. Very impressed!

Will stay here again if I go to Florence in the future.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Jack Y
Cologne, Germany
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Black 5 is located a short scenic walk from most of Florence's attractions. It is small but nicely designed and has a very good, personal and friendly service!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank A I
Trieste, Italy
Reviewed 10 July 2012

The staff was wonderful. The room had air conditioning, a fridge and wifi. Couldn't ask for more. Great location near Santa Croce. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple