“Over the Hill!”

Ranked #6 of 412 Hotels in Florence
Vero Beach
“Over the Hill!”
Reviewed 2 November 2006

This property is tired and badly needs refurbishment, both to the rooms/facility and to the attitude of key members of the staff. The public areas are beautiful but then you have to go to rooms where there is no temperature control and you can't open the windows without letting in every biting insect imaginable, showers are broken, and TVs barely work. (A bellman worked over an hour to get ours to turn on.) Not even a three star hotel when strictly evaluating room comfort, cleanliness, and staff. (However, the breakfast servers were Great!)

• Liked — Servers at breakfast were friendly and attentive.
  • Disliked — Room conditions
  • Tips/Secrets — There are much better values in Florence.
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with friends
2 Thank garpay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed 18 September 2006

We have stayed at some of the best hotels in Europe and we would place Villa Cora near the top. The concierge staff bent over backwards for us and was as pleasant as can be. Stefano and Roberto were friendly and always smiling. They always greeted us, made reservations for everything within minutes of our requests, and were knowledegeable about restaurants, museums, and transportation. The breakfasts were delicious with some of the best fruits and croissants. We were able to order eggs whatever way you desired with a variety of meats on the side. The pool was refreshing and the grounds beautiful. They are closing for reservation because the structure need some fixing but what would you expect with such a grand old villa. I'll be there when the renovation is completed.

• Stayed September 2006
New York
Reviewed 6 September 2006

We found the Villa Cora staff very helpful, especially after AlItlalia (dont ever use use that airline!) lost our luggage and didn't seem to care at all whether we ever got our bags back or not. They are doing a renovation soon, so i think some of the other reviewers may like the place more in the future.

• Stayed August 2006, travelled with friends
1 Thank EricMosk
Berskhire
Reviewed 2 August 2006

My wife and I stayed a few days at the Villa Cora this Summer. We had visited Florence before and were really looking forward to our stay. We booked the Villa Cora because it has a pool and was close to the town centre AND because it was meant to be a 5 star hotel.

1 Really unfriendly staff. I dont think the staff on the front desk liked to be disturbed. Most of their answers were monosyllabic and never with a smile. We never got a good morning or good evening from any of them.

2 Hotel had its day. The Villa Cora used to be grand I expect. Now it appears run down and old. You have to eat all your meals by the pool in a sperate building. The main hotel building only has bedrooms. They do provide meals in the main hotel but only for visitors not hotel guests. The water from our shower ran across the bathroom floor. Everyday we had to put towels down to soak the water up. Probably a legitimate health and safety issue. The hotel also smells musty and looks a bit like a furtuniture stock room.

3 Breakfast. The breakfast was very average and compared to a hotel we stayed in this Summer for a third of the prize. The staff at breakfast like the staff at reception really couldn't be bothered.

I could go on but I hope you get the idea. Don't part with your money.

On a bright note Florence is a lovely place and everyone else we met were friendly and great ambassadors for their country and city.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Giving them my money
  • Tips/Secrets — Avoid
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
10 Thank BritTraveller1971
Reviewed 24 July 2006

After just returning from a 4 night stay at the Hotel Villa Cora, I have to disagree with the most recent reviews. My partner and I thought that the Hotel was beautiful - we were given a fabulous room with a stunning view over Florence and the pool was a wonderful and relaxing relief from the museum/gallery circuit of Florence in mid-summer.

I would agree that the staff are not overwhelmingly friendly, but nor did I find them rude or unhelpful. Basically they left us alone unless we requested assistance - the rooms were cleaned throughout the day without any inconvenience to us; the pool staff were always helpful and I have no complaints about the advice given by the front of house staff in response to our queries. It was a relief to not to have to interact with the staff unless we felt we needed to. My partner and I were perfectly relaxed wandering through the Hotel in shorts/t-shirts after a day by the pool.

The only downside to our stay was the price of the restaurant. We largely avoided this by planning our meals south of the river (about a 20 min walk). I would recommend that if you do stay here that you identify some nearby restaurants - many in the Piazza Santo Spirito are lovely.

An extremely memorable stay!

• Liked — Pool and roome with an amazing view
  • Disliked — Restaurant prices
  • Tips/Secrets — Be specific about the type of room you want (eg. with a view) and research nearby restaurants.
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled as a couple
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed 20 July 2006

Although the Villa Cora is a beautiful hotel, it's almost ruined by the unbelieveable snobiness of its employees (specifically, the front desk crew.) For some reason, these people believe that since they stand at a desk in a hotel all day and night, they are far above the hotel's lowly guests. I constantly got looks implying that I wasn't dressed well enough to step foot in the villa cora (oops, i must've left my designer duds at home) while the men at the front desk were dressed in ridiculous suits that look like something bought from Goodwill in 1980. The front desk crew attempted to con us into eating at the hotels restaurant, serving "authentic" italian dishes such as pumpkin risotto (gag.) If you plan on staying at the Villa Cora, don't expect any help from the conceirge and unless you want nasty looks, don't forget your designer clothes.

• Stayed June 2006
5 Thank gelatolover617
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 9 July 2006

I would not recommend this hotel. Though very pretty, the lack of guest service made my visit to Florence unenjoyable. The room air conditioning did not work, it stayed at about 82 degrees the entire time I was there. When I talked to the front desk they told me it was the same throughout the hotel and that there was nothing they could do about it. I found the front desk employees to be rude and unhelpful. My boyfriend lost his wallet in a taxi while in Florence. When I asked the front desk if they could help me calling the taxi companies they gave me a list a numbers to call. When I was told by the taxi companies that they didn't speak English or understand my Italian I asked the front desk to please help me by translating. The front desk clerk called 2 numbers and then told me that I would need to continue calling throughout the night because there was nothing else he could do. The next morning, I asked another person at the front desk if she would call. She said she would handle it. When I returned there was no message from her nor did anyone know what I was talking about. For the amount of stars attributed to this hotel, I was expecting high quality service. What was received was worse than a hostel.

• Stayed June 2006