“All looks and NO personality!”
Review of Hotel Lungarno

Hotel Lungarno
Ranked #9 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 7 October 2011

Have you ever walked into a pricey boutique, adorned with impeccable, expensive clothing and classic accessories, only to be ignored by the staff? That is what it feels like to stay at the Hotel Lungarno. It is a “Pretty Woman” hotel experience.

Let me preface this by saying, I LOVE Ferragamo shoes; so, I was expecting the same quality, value and luxury, from the Ferragamo’s Hotel Lungarno. Upon arrival, I was charmed by the quaint aesthetic, classic flair, and picturesque views of the Ponte Vecchio; however, the “welcome mat” experience was quickly yanked from under us, and 5 days, 2 annoyed & over-whelmed waiters, 3 dismissive reception/front desk hosts, and 1 disastrous tour of Tuscany later; we left a little bruised and feeling like imposing houseguests whom had over-stayed their welcome!

Yes, location is idyllic. Yes, there is charm throughout. Yes, our room was spacious (for European standards) and lovely. But…

➢ Asked for cooking class recommendation and tour suggestions-the next day, still waiting for a response, I inquired again, and was sniped with “it has only been 24 hours since your request,” accompanied with an eye-roll and condescending tone. Well, with only 5 days in the region, every day delayed matters and how can a concierge not be acquainted with typical tourist requests? And, if I wanted to be handed a generic pamphlet of things-to-do, I would have saved my money and stayed at a motel with a rack of brochures in the lobby. (Julie-was the ONLY helpful host at the reception desk-I strongly suggest.)

➢ GUESTS ARE NOT PERMITTED TO SET THEIR OWN IN-ROOM TEMPERATURES; the front desk controls your Thermostat from the lobby and you have to call to get adjustments. We needed our heat turned on due to a chilly, wet storm front that swept through the area and we were told the heat does not get ignited until October-after 2 calls to the front desk in the middle of the night, they did eventually, warm our room, but paying adult prices to be treated like an untrusted child, left me feeling frosty. Ha!

➢ Hotel suggested a $200p.p. tour (Sienna, San Gimiagno, Chianti) from a brochure they flippantly passed out upon inquiry; which was hands-down the worst tour I have ever been on and ruined our only day exploring the Tuscan Region: how do you ruin Tuscany? Well, the guide was reported to be fluent in 4 languages; however, a Rosetta Stone language cd worth of study, doesn’t constitute fluent. And, because of the language barriers and translation confusion, we were left in Sienna, (along with several other confused people whom were consequently left in the subsequent towns) and had to pay 70 Euro ($115.00 American) to hire a taxi to the next region. Because Tuscany is not riddled with awaiting taxi cab queue’s, I had to call 6 Italian cab companies (anyone without a mobile phone or not fairly fluent in Italian would have been in dire straights) and even contacted Hotel Lungarno-which offered to send a car to pick us up at a cost of almost $400.00. Through out the tour, we stayed an average of 30-45 minutes in each town which did not allow enough time explore or even order lunch- and by the final stop, several older tourists did not leave the bus due to fears they would not be able to make it back to the meeting place and possibly be left! And the promised “lunch at a Tuscan winery” consisted of 3 small pieces of Bruschetta and miniscule tastes of mediocre wine. We were then dropped off at the Florence bus station in the middle of the night-without notice that the car that shuttled us to the meeting point in the morning was not available-therefore, we would need to find return transportation back to the hotel. As a first time visitor to Italy, I expected the noted hotel concierge to be confident in the quality and care of any recommendations given to me.

➢ Rooms were charming and spacious, but, bathrooms suited only one person at a time and required a hefty slam to close-so, a late-night restroom break, usually startled whomever was still sleeping.

➢ Broken TV-took 2 days to repair. Broken bathroom scale-took 2 days to repair.

➢ The décor is quaint, but the atmosphere is snooty-a little too whispery, “shi-shi” snobby for a 4 star rated hotel.

➢ Restaurant will not accommodate hotel guests without advanced reservations; however, when we were able to dine, the food was delicious and decadent. With the exception of 2 very cordial and very helpful waiters, we encountered; most of the service staff seemed very off-put and dismissive.

I truly believe our visit to Florence was marred by our experiences at the Hotel Lungarno-Ferragamo prices, but not Ferragamo quality, value or considerations.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank Ncll01
Write a ReviewReviews (1,295)

Reviewed 4 October 2011

I wanted to report to you on an amazing experience we had at the BSJ of the Hotel Lungarno. It's across the river from the Continentale, looking onto the Ponte Vecchio. So, the service was superb! The waiters were slick, efficient, polite, nothing was a problem. They really made the experience one to remember and aim to replicate! The manager was a very charming man called Francesco, who also popped down to say hello. He was incredibly charming to us all, and really topped off the experience. From my parents through to my son, who is 8, we were all so happy to have chosen that spot to have our apperativo. We were all charmed by the experience.

Also, the appertisers were out of this world!! You have to try the bread-crumbed olives! Mama Mia!

Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank nicola s
Reviewed 24 September 2011

This Hotel should be the first spot for anyone to stay for a fully spectacular Florence get away. The staff was top notch. Very attentive and we felt truly taken care of during our short four day trip. I would recomend a river view - yes extra cost but well worth it. You are two steps away from the Ponte Veechio and the views are quite wonderful on the balcony after a long day of site seeing.

The first day we arrived late that evening after taking the train from Rome, the hostess immediately set us up in our rooms. We were upgraded to an executive suite which I still dream of that amazing shower. Yes, the little things in life matter and a great showerhead can go a long way in my book! The Concierge made us a yummy recommendation at a small bistro a block away from the Hotel. The best eggs and truffles!! This is my place when I return (and I will return!!!).

Room Tip: River views are the way to go in this hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 September 2011

A little touch of luxury and a fabulous position. The whole 3 days were splendid beginning with a warm welcome at reception. The room was delightful with very comfy beds and a small but perfectly functional bathroom. Ideally situated for exploring Florence and surrounded by restaurants as well having a very relaxing lounge area with an immediate view of the river Arno and it's own quite fabulous restaurant.
What I liked least was being unable to shut the bathroom door - but I didn't even report it it was so insignificant and my most favourite thing; basil ice-cream. I would have to rate it 10/10 and one of the most amazing food experiences of my life!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank JoeyNi
Reviewed 23 September 2011

The Ferragamo family has exceeded itself with this tiny gem of a hotel. The location is to die for...2 steps to the Pontevecchio couldn't be better. We arrived on a day that all of Italy was on strike. The concierge was the only one there.A slip of a girl who courageously insisted upon hauling our bags up to our room.....Parking our car.....and then made reservations for us for dinner. She deserved a medal for her valor. What a delight. The room was perfect with a kitchenette (including a dishwasher...in Italy!!!). It is tucked away so perfectly with a wonderful shop downstairs that was fabulous. Walking to everything was a breeze. It was the perfect spot in the perfect city. Kudos!!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 September 2011

Top notch luxury in Florence. Right on the banks of the Arno at the foot of the Ponte Vecchio. Try for a room on with a river view; it's worth the extra price. Very nice bedding and some river view rooms have a small balcony which is a great spot for end of the day bottle of wine. Hint: Grab a bottle of wine, cheese, etc. from a near-by cafe or store and take to your room as drinks, beer, wine are a bit pricey at Lungarno.

Free wi-fi, but it was out when we stayed and they said they have trouble with Apple products (Ipad didn't connect). They have a laptop you can borrow from the front desk to use in the lobby.

Excellent location to all sites and restaurants. Short trip to train station. Have fun!

Room Tip: Go for the river view. You can see all of Florence; the Duomo, etc.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2011

What a little gem of a hotel ! Minutes away from the Ponte Vecchio, overlooking the river Arno, with spectacular views across the rooftops of Florence, it really was the perfect hotel.
Not too big, with a wonderfully comfortable lobby, immaculate service from the front desk staff, the porters and the waiters. The rooms were tremendous. I had a deluxe room overlooking the river which was wonderfully furnished, quiet, cool with air con that never went wrong, a great bathroom and walk in closet and simply so welcoming to come back to.
We dined at the hotel one night and the food in the restaurant was excellent, ask for a table on the terrace, the dining room is more practical but still comfortable. The front desk also recommended some other great restaurants near the hotel which we would never have found without their help. There is no question that I would come back here in an instant. A truly top hotel that rivals the best.

Room Tip: Splash out and for the deluxe rooms overlooking the river
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends