“Nice hotel in great location on the river in Florence”
Review of Hotel Lungarno

Hotel Lungarno
Ranked #14 of 412 Hotels in Florence
“Nice hotel in great location on the river in Florence”
Reviewed 11 October 2011

Arriving at The Lungarno was wonderful - superb location right on the river, beautiful lobby and friendly staff who made us feel very welcome. Our room was on the 5th floor, with a terrific view of the river, however it was VERY small and we felt cramped for the next 4 days there. The curtains were pretty, but being cream in colour and quite sheer they did nothing to keep out the lights of the city and the morning sunlight. That said, we enjoyed our stay there, and especially enjoyed the public areas on the ground floor. If you want to be close to the action in Florence, this is a good place to stay. I would definitely ask for a room with a river view.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Scorpioprincess

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
Leesburg, Virginia
Reviewed 10 October 2011

We spent 4 wonderful nights in the hotel. Our room perhaps was a bit small but high on the 6th floor we had a huge balcony offering great views of Arno river, Ponte Vecchio and the city itself.

The room was well appointed. Staff throughout the hotel - especially breakfast staff and lounge - were very helpful, kind, and English speaking.

The hotel is very close to many major sites on both sides of the river.

We warmly recommend.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Grand Haven, Michigan
Reviewed 8 October 2011

Hotel Lungarno is a fabulous place to stay while in Florence. It is clean, well appointed and right on the river. The staff was friendly and helpful, The location is perfect for easy access to all the major Florence sights and the fabulous Florence shopping. There are great restaurants within easy walking distance.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 7 October 2011

Have you ever walked into a pricey boutique, adorned with impeccable, expensive clothing and classic accessories, only to be ignored by the staff? That is what it feels like to stay at the Hotel Lungarno. It is a “Pretty Woman” hotel experience.

Let me preface this by saying, I LOVE Ferragamo shoes; so, I was expecting the same quality, value and luxury, from the Ferragamo’s Hotel Lungarno. Upon arrival, I was charmed by the quaint aesthetic, classic flair, and picturesque views of the Ponte Vecchio; however, the “welcome mat” experience was quickly yanked from under us, and 5 days, 2 annoyed & over-whelmed waiters, 3 dismissive reception/front desk hosts, and 1 disastrous tour of Tuscany later; we left a little bruised and feeling like imposing houseguests whom had over-stayed their welcome!

Yes, location is idyllic. Yes, there is charm throughout. Yes, our room was spacious (for European standards) and lovely. But…

➢ Asked for cooking class recommendation and tour suggestions-the next day, still waiting for a response, I inquired again, and was sniped with “it has only been 24 hours since your request,” accompanied with an eye-roll and condescending tone. Well, with only 5 days in the region, every day delayed matters and how can a concierge not be acquainted with typical tourist requests? And, if I wanted to be handed a generic pamphlet of things-to-do, I would have saved my money and stayed at a motel with a rack of brochures in the lobby. (Julie-was the ONLY helpful host at the reception desk-I strongly suggest.)

➢ GUESTS ARE NOT PERMITTED TO SET THEIR OWN IN-ROOM TEMPERATURES; the front desk controls your Thermostat from the lobby and you have to call to get adjustments. We needed our heat turned on due to a chilly, wet storm front that swept through the area and we were told the heat does not get ignited until October-after 2 calls to the front desk in the middle of the night, they did eventually, warm our room, but paying adult prices to be treated like an untrusted child, left me feeling frosty. Ha!

➢ Hotel suggested a $200p.p. tour (Sienna, San Gimiagno, Chianti) from a brochure they flippantly passed out upon inquiry; which was hands-down the worst tour I have ever been on and ruined our only day exploring the Tuscan Region: how do you ruin Tuscany? Well, the guide was reported to be fluent in 4 languages; however, a Rosetta Stone language cd worth of study, doesn’t constitute fluent. And, because of the language barriers and translation confusion, we were left in Sienna, (along with several other confused people whom were consequently left in the subsequent towns) and had to pay 70 Euro ($115.00 American) to hire a taxi to the next region. Because Tuscany is not riddled with awaiting taxi cab queue’s, I had to call 6 Italian cab companies (anyone without a mobile phone or not fairly fluent in Italian would have been in dire straights) and even contacted Hotel Lungarno-which offered to send a car to pick us up at a cost of almost $400.00. Through out the tour, we stayed an average of 30-45 minutes in each town which did not allow enough time explore or even order lunch- and by the final stop, several older tourists did not leave the bus due to fears they would not be able to make it back to the meeting place and possibly be left! And the promised “lunch at a Tuscan winery” consisted of 3 small pieces of Bruschetta and miniscule tastes of mediocre wine. We were then dropped off at the Florence bus station in the middle of the night-without notice that the car that shuttled us to the meeting point in the morning was not available-therefore, we would need to find return transportation back to the hotel. As a first time visitor to Italy, I expected the noted hotel concierge to be confident in the quality and care of any recommendations given to me.

➢ Rooms were charming and spacious, but, bathrooms suited only one person at a time and required a hefty slam to close-so, a late-night restroom break, usually startled whomever was still sleeping.

➢ Broken TV-took 2 days to repair. Broken bathroom scale-took 2 days to repair.

➢ The décor is quaint, but the atmosphere is snooty-a little too whispery, “shi-shi” snobby for a 4 star rated hotel.

➢ Restaurant will not accommodate hotel guests without advanced reservations; however, when we were able to dine, the food was delicious and decadent. With the exception of 2 very cordial and very helpful waiters, we encountered; most of the service staff seemed very off-put and dismissive.

I truly believe our visit to Florence was marred by our experiences at the Hotel Lungarno-Ferragamo prices, but not Ferragamo quality, value or considerations.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Ncll01
Florence, Italy
Reviewed 4 October 2011

I wanted to report to you on an amazing experience we had at the BSJ of the Hotel Lungarno. It's across the river from the Continentale, looking onto the Ponte Vecchio. So, the service was superb! The waiters were slick, efficient, polite, nothing was a problem. They really made the experience one to remember and aim to replicate! The manager was a very charming man called Francesco, who also popped down to say hello. He was incredibly charming to us all, and really topped off the experience. From my parents through to my son, who is 8, we were all so happy to have chosen that spot to have our apperativo. We were all charmed by the experience.

Also, the appertisers were out of this world!! You have to try the bread-crumbed olives! Mama Mia!

Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank nicola s
Aurora, Colorado
Reviewed 24 September 2011

This Hotel should be the first spot for anyone to stay for a fully spectacular Florence get away. The staff was top notch. Very attentive and we felt truly taken care of during our short four day trip. I would recomend a river view - yes extra cost but well worth it. You are two steps away from the Ponte Veechio and the views are quite wonderful on the balcony after a long day of site seeing.

The first day we arrived late that evening after taking the train from Rome, the hostess immediately set us up in our rooms. We were upgraded to an executive suite which I still dream of that amazing shower. Yes, the little things in life matter and a great showerhead can go a long way in my book! The Concierge made us a yummy recommendation at a small bistro a block away from the Hotel. The best eggs and truffles!! This is my place when I return (and I will return!!!).

Room Tip: River views are the way to go in this hotel.