“Excellent location and great service”
Review of Hotel Lungarno

Hotel Lungarno
Ranked #11 of 409 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

My wife and I had a stunning couple of days at the Hotel Lungarno. Good service with beautiful rooms and a great location. The area around the hotel is safe to stroll at night. Gerrit & Heloise Jordaan.

• Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed 30 July 2013

We had an amazing day at the Hotel Lungarno thanks to the staff and particularly Simon. We were visiting Florence from Tuscany, stopped by the hotel restaurant J and had such a wonderful meal that we inquired about staying the day in Florence and the hotel for the night. Their Concierge Simon arranged shopping, dinner and two excellent rooms. The day was incredibly memorable including one of the best Tuscan sunsets over the city. The staff was superb, the food top notch and the location perfect. Highly recommend the hotel if you want an unforgettable Florence experience. The Lungarno Bistro down the street (not related) was superb.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We were in Florence for two nights recently and stayed at Hotel Lungarno. The location of the hotel is great - right on the river close to Ponte Vecchio. We paid extra for a river view and glad we did. It was the highlight of our stay! The room and hotel itself felt a bit outdated though. While it was nice to have more of an "oldworld" feeling to it, little amenities were missing that we're normally accustomed to. WiFi was free, however, it was incredibility slow so it took us forever to look up restaurants, etc on the internet - so a bit frustrating. The staff overall were very nice and very accommodating with requests.

Room Tip: Get a room with view of River Arno & Ponte Vecchio if you stay here. That was the highlight of...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2013

My son and I spent 5 days at this property this spring before heading to Rome for Easter. T. he location, rooms, atmosphere and cleanliness were excellent. However, it was the courtesy and attentiveness of the staff that made this short stay truly unforgettable. Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Ask the staff, depends upon availability
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2013

This hotel was an excellent choice for our family of 4 during a week in Florence. The service was superb -- people at the front desk were uniformly helpful and courteous. They booked a walking tour of the city for us with a local guide -- Isabella Pellegrini -- on almost no notice at all, and she was perfect. The location is outstanding -- steps from the Ponte Vecchio but away from the main focus of tourist activity. We had researched restaurants on our own but the hotel was more than happy to take care of reservations for us. (Do try the hotel restaurant if you stay there, especially if you can get one of the outside tables.) Daily breakfast (included in our room charge) was very well done.

Concierge gave us the name of their sister property in Rome where they helped us find a lovely restaurant for dinner during a day trip to that city. These people really stress customer service.

The hotel is not inexpensive but nonetheless was a good value. We had two adjacent rooms on a high floor (one room on the river with wonderful views) and a locking door to the main hall so we could leave the interior doors open to create a private suite. It worked out very well for us. Beds were comfortable and rooms were well-appointed, The larger room had an excellent walk-through closet and superb bathroom with plentiful counter space, two sinks, and excellent shower with lots of hot water and very nice water pressure. The public space, especially the reception/lounge area, is welcoming and comfortable.

The Lungarno has done an excellent job of adding modern amenities to a classic, traditional feeling place that makes a superb place to stay in Florence. We recommend it highly.

Room Tip: Room on a high floor on the river was great. Wonderful view and very quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 3 nights. Lovely place, great location and super room with balcony facing the Arno. Good breakfast, big room a little expensive (600 euro+). Restaurant expensive and not worth the value with poor service (1 hour to get starting). Nice reception desk.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 22 July 2013

In the first 24 hours at this hotel I knew it was not getting five stars. Enough things cropped up that I debated between a four and a three.  But a wave of nostalgia on my last night coupled with some very nice moments settled me on the four.  Then came my final morning and the three was locked in thanks to an arrogant and unhelpful staff member who insisted on rebilling me for my entire stay that I already paid for.

The woman who checked me in was very kind and was always willing to help me confirm reservations and point me in the right direction.  I was shown to my room by a sweet bellman who I ran into again on my last night.  He remembered me and we chatted for a bit.  He was a delight.

I was in room 375 which was on the street side.  My reservation voucher said I was eligible for an upgrade but was not offered one.  The room was very pretty with yellow walls and blue carpeting.  As others have mentioned the bed was two twins pushed together.  Each bed was made up separately with the sheets tightly tucked into the middle making turning over difficult; untucking them was hard too.  A couple would have a serious problem there.  The mattress was comfortable, but the pillows were so flat I had to use two which was then high enough it gave me neck pain.

The street noise (people talking, cars, street work at 6a.m., the cafe under my window dumping trash and clinking glasses) was so loud at night I kept checking to see if a window was open, but it was just poor sound proofing.  It made sleeping difficult as did being unable to get the room completely dark.  Track lighting in the bathroom didn't appear to have an off switch. I tried pushing all of the numerous switches, but couldn't find one for those.  One night I tugged the bathroom door shut, but in the morning found a large spider and some gray bug on the floor so I didn't do that again.  No more bugs, but no more dark either.

The bathroom is big with a double sink and plenty of counter space.  There are also outlets open for appliances.  The tub is a decent size, but the sides are so high stepping in is difficult.  The glass shower door swings outward so that all the water on it runs onto the floor when you open it after your shower.  Wet marble is slippery and a breeding ground for bacteria.  I started using my dirty towels to dry it up, but then housekeeping stopped cleaning my room so I couldn't do that anymore or else I wouldn't have a clean towel to dry my self with.

What housekeeping's schedule was I still can't say.  My first night after flying from the US, I walked the city then went back to have an early night as I was exhausted. I exited the shower at 9:15 to someone knocking on my door.  There aren't peepholes so I asked who it was and it was housekeeping checking to see if I needed clean towels for the night.  Since I just got there this made no sense. A night bather would use what was in the room and not need fresh until the next night (meaning they could be changed during daily cleaning the next day) and a morning bather's towels wouldn't have been touched until the next day.  When I told her I was fine, she proceeded to act like I was crazy for being in so early and I found myself explaining about the flight, not that I owed anyone an explanation.  She said without a do not disturb sign she was obligated to knock.  Couldn't find the sign anywhere, but in my search I discovered a partially full Coke bottle in the drawer of the table in the entrance. Gross!  Later in the week when I bent to pick up something I dropped I found brown liquid dried on the wall by the table.  More of the Coke I assume.

Day two my room wasn't touched until late in the day.  Day three when I was gone until 9 I got an actual turn down service with a floormat by my bed, slippers and the curtains drawn.  Day four my room wasn't cleaned, my towels weren't changed, the curtains weren't opened and the trash not emptied.  Day five when I went to breakfast there was a vacuum outside my door so I thought they were going in as soon as I left.  That was at 8:45, when I returned at 2 to drop off purchases, the room was still untouched.  I came back at 7 and still nothing.  I ran out for the last time, resolving to complain if it still wasn't done and it finally was, but it was basic daily stuff, not another turn down service.  I only received that one night.

At no point during my stay were the toiletries replaced and I was out of tissues by my last night.  Thankfully I found an extra roll of toilet paper because that ran out the day they didn't do my room so I would have been out of luck for two days since it took them until after 8 the next day to come back.  They also never cleaned the dead bugs off the bathroom windowsill that were there when I arrived.

The included breakfast was nice, fine for someone like me who isn't into a huge morning meal.  I loved the creme filled croissants and heard other guests raving too.  There was also cold cuts, cereals, yogurt, cheeses and fruits.  I saw some yucky looking eggs in a warmer, but I don't like eggs for breakfast so I didn't try them.  Entering the breakfast room was awkward as they put a big screen up in the doorway.  Enter to the left of it and you're running into the servers making coffee.  Enter to the right and you're left wondering if you sit anywhere or wait to be seated.  No one greets you.

The air conditioning worked well and kept the room cool.  It was dropped a degree during the night for cooler sleeping weather, which I liked.  There was also free wifi which allowed me to email home from my phone.  It worked best when I stood near the door, but it worked and that was all I cared about.

The rooms use old fashioned keys instead of swipe cards.  Not a problem except that the keys were on fobs that weighed half a pound and my door was difficult to unlock.  I stopped by the front desk on my way out for a tour one morning and a concierge I hadn't seen before demanded my room key.  Usually I put it in my purse, but was still getting settled so it was in my hand.  He was sure I would lose it.  I found that insulting.  I gave him a look and the problem was suddenly that the key was heavy to carry.  It was heavy, but I had been carrying it for a couple days already.  I came back from the tour needing to use the bathroom and had to wait in line for someone to give me my key and then explain why I had to ask for it.  Not fun.  First and last time I left my room without hiding it in my purse.

Considering that the maid almost walked in on me the night I was in the shower when she knocked, the rooms would benefit from chains on the door.

Now for the big issue.

My flight home involved transferring flights in Germany and all the flights out of Florence left very early.  Mine was at 6:35 a.m., the car service was coming at 4:35 so I was up at 3:30.  When I went to check out a concierge I hadn't seen before (the non usuals seem to be problematic), Jean Michel, gave me attitude about leaving so early.  He claimed the airport didn't open until 5:20, that I should still be up sleeping instead of leaving.  I told him my flight time and that a car was coming for me.  He wanted to know who on the staff let me have the car come then because it was wrong.  I felt like I was on trial and I was getting worried thinking I'd be standing outside a closed airport for an hour alone.  Finally, with a tone implying that I was an idiot, he said if I still wanted to check out I could.

While I was still reeling over the possible airport issue,  he handed me my bill.  The room had been paid for in advance, but there is a 4 Euro per night tax on four and five star hotels in Italy, so I had that to pay.  I was aware of this and was prepared to pay cash to use up extra Euros and to avoid playing the conversion game on my credit card.  I noticed page one of the bill listed the price per night of my room along with a 25% tax and then the 4 Euro tax.  Page two said I owed them 1703 Euro instead of the 24 I was expecting.  I pointed out that I was been double billed and Jean M insisted the hotel had never received my payment so I would have to pay now.

I showed him my voucher, the same thing I had used for my car to the hotel and my tours (all of which had no billing problems, nor did my airfare), showing that I was booked and paid, but he sniffed at it saying it meant nothing because my account should look like this, he showed me someone else's, and it didn't so I hadn't paid.  Never once did he offer to investigate to see if there was a computer glitch.  He started off acting like I was trying to skip out on the bill, then when the emergency number for the agency said it wasn't in service, acted like I was being scammed by the agency.  I was being scammed all right, but not by my travel agent who was a personal friend of my boss and whose other reservations for me were flawless.

The only thing this jerk would do for me was let me use a phone to try to call someone.  It was 10:30 p.m. Back at home, so I got my agent's voicemail, but was able to reach my family so that when morning came they could get my agent working on things while I was flying home.  Oh, and he kept offering me coffee.  That was real helpful.  I demanded a copy of the bill before I would hand over my card, then repaid as the driver was there and I had a flight to catch.  I told him I was disputing the charge the second I got home.  He told me he hoped the unpleasant end didn't spoil my trip.  Jerk!

When I got to the airport, which was open long before my arrival at 4:50, it was proof that Jean M had no idea what he was talking about.  When I got home and sent both my credit card company and travel agency after the hotel, it was suddenly discovered that their system was down.  They were taking info from guests (no accusing them of failing to pay and billing them again) until it was fixed.  According to my travel agent, had Jean M bothered to do his job instead of throwing around accusations and attitude, the hotel is capable of looking up reservations through her company and he could have seen that I paid.  He might also have noticed there was a problem with their system.  But he was content with upsetting me, tarnishing the hotel's reputation and in general being useless.  Since all he wanted to do was get me coffee maybe he should go be a waiter.

There are other hotels that are closer to the city center,  I didn't pick one of them to avoid noisy crowds and motor bikes at night.  I still got noise, I had a longer walk to things and I was double billed.   Should I ever return to Florence I will not be staying at the Hotel Lungarno.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo