“Small Rooms, Ok Service, Cramped”
Review of Hotel Lungarno

Hotel Lungarno
Ranked #13 of 411 Hotels in Florence
San Francisco, California
“Small Rooms, Ok Service, Cramped”
Reviewed 15 September 2010

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for our honeymoon. The hotel is on the other side of the river which makes it kind of inconvenient to access all the shops and sights. You will have to walk 20 minutes to get to sights and shops. The room is SMALL and CRAMPED and OUT-DATED. We barely had room for our 2 luggages. The hotel's ventilation system was not too good and we felt stuffy. We tried to turn on the AC but it shuts itself off every so often. We did have a room overlooking the river and we like gazing out of that. The decor in the room is very dated. The elevator is small and dated. I would recommend staying at a hotel on the opposite side of the river. This hotel is a big disappointment because it is very small and stuffy. I don't mind paying more for a nice hotel and we paid about $380 per night but it's not worth it at all.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Devilry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 19 August 2010

This is a beautiful hotel, located on the River, with exquisite views of the Ponte Vecchio and the river. Staff is very courteous, an abbreviated internationl copy of the NYTimes was delivered to my door every day. There's a lovely little terrace which is great for having evening cocktails or a drink after dinner, overlooking the river and watching the people go by. What I loved about this hotel is it's outside the fray of 'downtown' Florence and yet just over the Ponte Vecchio, so it's easy to get to all the tourist attractions. The hotel is also surrounded by great restaurants if you walk down the street and the hotel restaurant itself is renowned for being great.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank fridayz
Amherst, New York
Reviewed 9 August 2010

We had 3 rooms here and one night. The size of the rooms were amazing for Europe. Great views of the Arno and Ponte Vechio. Easy walk to anywhere in town. We would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank luvtravelAmherst_NY
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 1 August 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Lungarno for 2 nights in July. What a fabulous hotel, wonderful and comfortable rooms, was upgraded to a view with a terrace view of the Arno River, friendly staff, great location, excellent value. Breakfast was not included and was not worth paying for. Lots of great places to eat nearby. 9.5 out of 10.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Dubai
Reviewed 25 June 2010

We travelled to Florence and wanted to pamper ourselves for acouple of nights. I am in the hotel industry and therefore wanted to avoid 'just another 5* hotel' - I was looking for something truly Italian. Hotel Lungarno fit the bill perfectly. The location is superb - on the banks of the River Arno, just a couple of minutes from the Ponte Vecchio. The rooms are delightful - beautifully decorated, quiet and offered one of the best night's sleep I've had in a long time. The staff too are great - going out of their way to help you and always willing to talk and show their love for their city. I would definately recommend!

• Stayed June 2010
Donneloye, Switzerland
Reviewed 13 June 2010

I have stayed in the Lungarno a couple of times before, many years ago: it was always a perfectly good hotel. This time however, I was most agreeably surprised to discover that it had exceeded itself.

I booked by email two weeks before our trip, and received a courteous reply the same day. A day later I asked them to reserve a place in the garage next door, which was again confirmed the same day. So far so good.

On arrival everything went smoothly at reception. The room was exactly as described: not huge (huge rooms are quite rare in Florence hotels) but most tastefully decorated and furnished. The view on the Arno and the Ponte Vecchio was as I had expected, and you don't get much more a romantic view than that.

It was hot as hell in Florence and although we had air conditioning, that night I couldn't make it work for more than two minutes at a time. We lay there sweating away, and decided to call reception at midnight. With previous experience of Italy, I had little hope that anything would be done. Within five minutes someone came up and fixed it.

Breakfast is the best buffet I have ever had: the scrambled eggs were soft, creamy and fresh (how they manage that I don't know - everywhere else they're watery and hard). We were asked what we wanted to drink as soon as we arrived, and it was served within minutes.

It was my wife's birthday on the Saturday. I had said nothing to the hotel. At five o'clock there was a knock on the door, and a complimentary bottle of prosecco was delivered: they must have looked at the birth dates on the passports. I have never had unasked-for service like that!

The bathroom was all pale chocolate marble, and the supplied body-lotion so pleasant my wife took the name of it in order to buy some.

That night after dinner we decided to have a drink on the balcony. The outside light didn't work. I phoned down, and it was repaired within two minutes.

Check out was speedy, the staff call you by your name - honestly, it was not the Italy I knew.

I cannot write too highly of this hotel and above all its staff. A pleasanter surprise I have rarely had. We didn't try the restaurant or the bar though. All in all, and at the risk of being thought to have a connection with the Lungarno (I swear I have none!) this is the best hotel I have stayed in.

Racking my brains to find something negative to write, I can only say that it's not cheap, but then nothing in Florence is. And service like that has no price.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nickmichael
Hotel_Lungarno, Direttore at Hotel Lungarno, responded to this review, 6 July 2010
Dear nickmichael,

we wish to thank you for your recent stay at the Hotel Lungarno and are honoured of such lovely comments as well as of your loyalty.

As we always try to pay the highest attention to our guests’ requirements and to serve them in the most efficient way possible, we are delighted to learn that our staff and their attitude to high standard service exceeded your expectations.

We will certainly share your feedback with all the team and do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again at the Lungarno in the near future.

Kind regards,
Hotel Lungarno
The Management
Abilene
Reviewed 14 May 2010

We stayed four nights at the Hotel Lungarno and enjoyed every minute. We were in a classic room which is a bit small but very nice bath and balcony. View from the lobby of the river was great. We really enjoyed the bar and lobby area. Very elegant and great service. Staff at front desk was wonderful with dining recommendations and reservations. We truly enjoyed this hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple