“A Beautiful Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #24 of 421 Hotels in Florence
SPGloyal
“A Beautiful Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2008

I have had some great rooms at this hotel, and some okay rooms. If you are not happy with your first room, let them know, and they will do their best to change it for you. When I stayed in January, I had a very tiny room with a great view of the river. It was worth it to be in a room that size because I had a great view. Other times, I have stayed in the hotel and been upgraded to really nice mini suites.

The hotel has a nice fitness center. The bar is pricey, which is typical of most hotel bars.

If you are a Starwood Preferred Guest, show your card when you check in. They don't always have your number in their system.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SPGloyal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Cairo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2008

This hotel transports you to another era of true elegance, grandeur and beauty (like Florence itself) but all in an uderstated and classy way and with the luxury and comfort of a modern 5 star.
What also sets this hotel apart from others is the staff- especially the concierge who will do almost anything for you (they searched every electronics store in florence for a nintendo wii for my kids) and are a wealth of local knowledge.
I love the balcony views and the location and the room and the breakfast and even the cute gym. I love everything about this hotel and can recommend it without hesitation.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Laroush
london england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2008

We have just returned from a week at the Excelsior in Florence and it was a fantastic experience. The hotel is not flashy or loud but true old style glamour. What made a real impression on us however was the staff, all of whom took pride in their jobs. The receptionists, the concierge, the bar staff were all charming and efficient. The rooms were large and the bathrooms beautiful. And the location is without question the best in Florence. A wonderful holiday.

Stayed January 2008
4 Thank akcampbell
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2007

This hotel is also beautiful... old.. typically what you expect in Florence. Right on the river.. near the tourist sites.. easy walking distance to the markets.. and everything.

Gym not great.. no pool. all in all a nice hotel.

Stayed November 2007
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2007

I arrived 30 minutes before check in time but was warmly greeted at Reception. A first - the person who checked me in then took me to my room. I had been upgraded to a WorkOut Room. This is very modern with running machine (not used) and weights and a complimentary bottle of Chianti for me (used!) I was offered an alternative if I wished, but although different it was lovely -on a split level with 3 high level windows overlooking the rooftops of Florence. The Heavenly King Bed was just that - heavenly! It was very quiet and akin to having my own apartment in Florence (this room is not typical I would imagine - others appear more traditional though equally special).
I had a two course meal on room service which at 45 Euros including all service charges I thought was reasonable (the quality was excellent).
Breakfast isn't cheap (but I reserved in advance at 27 Euros). There is a huge choice though at the buffet.
As I was returning to Pisa airport on the day of a train strike the person checking me in obtained all details of an alternative Terravision 'bus service which the conciege could sort out.
I could continue but suffice to say I have never received such personal service from a large hotel. From check in to check out I felt I was in an oasis of calm and friendliness.
The hotel is around a 5 minute walk to the train and 'bus station and around the same to the main sites (though longer if you stop for delicious ice cream en route!)

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Chris P
Washington State
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2007

We used points to book this hotel, a lot of points, but it was worth it. Amazingly comfortable beds. A great staff. A FANTASTIC location. Gorgeous rooms.

The concierge was even able to get us reservations for Uffizi and Accademia the day before - on a weekend!

We were upgraded to an Arno view room and it was very nice. I used the bathtub more than once to help recover from days of heavy walking.

Fantastic service overall.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Not Sure
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
Somerville, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2007

The Westin Excelsior is everything you expect an urban luxury property to be and a bit more.

My husband and I spent 4 nights of our honeymoon at the hotel (3 on SPG points, 1 paid) and we were impressed with everything from the room to the concierge. We booked a regular room through Starwood but told the operator it was our honeymoon. When we arrived at the property, we found out we had been upgraded to a riverfront suite with a balcony. We came back from dinner the first night to a red heart of rose petals on our bed and a bottle of champagne chilling with best wishes from the manager.

The concierge staff deserves special mention. They were flawless with restaurant recommendations, getting museum tickets, and helping us ship wine back to the US.

I spend alot of nights at Starwood properties because of work and this Westin is a step above any of the other Westins or W's I have visited. It's expensive but worth it. Give it a try!

• Liked — Classy staff, comfortable beds, great attitude towards guests
  • Disliked — Nothing, it was nearly flawless
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple