“Bellissimo” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #24 of 421 Hotels in Florence
Westport, CT
“Bellissimo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

We stayed here as part of a Tauck tour. The hotel is located on an open piazza alongside the Arno River. It makes quite a first impression. Happily, the rest of our experience was at the same high level. Our room was very large, bathroom was good with a double sink. I had some laundry done, and it was very expensive (no surprise there). The breakfast buffet was included in our package, and the selections were quite nice. They have a coffee station at the front of the restaurant, in case you want a cup to go. The view from the 6th floor bar is stunning, day or night. My daughter and I walked everywhere, including the world-famous Santa Maria Novella pharmacy (high-end cosmetics) and the Ponte Vecchio for gold jewelry. I recommend crossing the river to the Piazzale Michaelangelo for the very best view of Florence, especially at night. The location is great, and the hotel was a great home base for exploring Florence.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

The hotel is majestic situated in a plaza with Arno riverfront views. The staff is helpful and friendly and maintains a welcoming service oriented tradition. This was formerly a Ciga hotel and Westin has preserved this European ambience. Rooms are spacious ; bathrooms marble; food good as is italitan cuisine& there is a lovey new roof bar and restaurant. You are near all of Florence ; an easy walk to the Duomo: the museum ; Rialto Bridge & the great shops and restaurants.

• Stayed August 2013
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

When staying at the Westin you know what to expect, I really enjoyed my stay in Firenze, firstly because the hotel is very well located and all sightseeings and attractions are within walking distance. We could actually see the Ponte Vecchio from our room.

Very high standard service, very somptuous classic design rooms - Everyone was very helpful and helped us the most they could.

We had lunch in the restaurant on the roof top, it really has a superb view of all Firenze, I was impressed and the menu is really well elaborated, giving you a real feel of Toscany flavors - a very good Chef runs the kitchen.

we had an amazing time!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

I stayed here in June '13 for a couple of nights. This is a very grand old hotel in the heart of Florence. It's within walking distance of all the main attractions.
Polished brass and marble abound , with excellent staff and great breakfasts ! We didn't eat in for dinner , preferring to try the many excellent local restaurants.
My room was large by normal standards, more of a suite with sofas etc and a fab en-suite , again marble clad.
I would certainly recommend this hotel and stay again. Many of the Florence hotels are in very narrow dark streets ( this is Florence after all ) but the Westin sits on a large sunny piazza with an open outlook , bordering the River.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

I stayed hear for the first 2 nights of my recent trip to Florence. The property is absolutely amazing. The entire experience, overall, was quite pleasant. We enjoyed the comfort of the room, the bar on the upper level, as well as breakfast. While we were a bit disappointed that the fitness room was under construction, an alternate option was located across the street. The visit exceeded my expectations until the last morning. Knowing we needed to catch a bus early the next morning, we put our order out the night before to have our breakfast delivered between 6:30-6:45 per the instructions on the in-room dining card. Packed and ready to go, we were anxiously awaiting the arrival of our breakfast. At 6:40 I called to check on the status and was told the would get back with me. At 6:50 I received a call and was told they were just about to start making our breakfast and wanted to know if we wanted the coffee sooner. I politely declined as we needed to be headed to our bus in order to catch our next excursion from Siena. While I voiced my frustration at check-out, I was obviously dismissed. Note to the management - DON'T OFFER BREAKFAST FOR DELIVERY FROM 6:30-6:45 UNLESS YOU CAN ACTUALLY DELIVER ON THAT PROMISE!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Massimo B, Responsabile reception at The Westin Excelsior Florence, responded to this review, 17 August 2013
Dear TravelCub,
let me apologize once again, as done through our customer service centre, about the mistake in delivering the breakfast on your departure day. As said, it was due to a personal mistake, but we are gratefully to your comments as it provides us with the chance of setting stronger and more and more effective procedures in order to prevent any possibility of deception.

We were also very happy to learn that your overall experience has given you great memories of our staff and our city!
Whenever you will be coming back to Florence, please use my contact to advise me in advance and I will be happy to welcome you back providing a special attention to your reservation!

Kindest regards,
Massimo
Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

Few would argue that Florence is one of the premiere cities in all of Italy, and none would argue that the Excelsior Hotel is one of best locations to stay in Florence. This elegant hotel, situated adjacent to the Arno River near the center of Florence, has it all. Our connecting rooms overlooked the Arno river. The rooms were luxurious with high ceilings, beautiful decor, and very comfortable beds. Following a delicious breakfast accompanied by fresh fruits and breads, our family was greeted by a wonderful hotel staff. In particular, one of the doormen, Sebastiono, was especially helpful. He always greeted us with a warm smile and made certain that we felt at home and special.

The hotel is within a short walking distance of all the historic sites and most of the really good restaurants. Most importantly, it is in walking distance of what I think is the best gelato in Florence, Vivoli il Gelato (7 Via Isola delle Stinche). Adjacent to the best gelato location in Florence is a small restaurant, Trattoria Pallottino, which has great food at a great price.

My advice to families traveling to Florence, get a "Friends of Uffizi" pass, dine at the Trattoria Pallottino followed by gelato at the Vivoli il Gelato, and treat the kids and wife to an elegant hotel, the Westin Excelsior. You won't go wrong.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

This hotel is far more than we expected. It is a 5 star hotel with exception service, and the room was incredible. It was luxury from the outside to every bit of the inside. The bar on the roof was incredible both in views and the cocktails which were unique and so precise and delicious. It was as though everyone treated you like family visiting from the front desk the food service and bartenders. I've stayed in 5 star hotels around the world and so far, this is the #1 on my list. What an ideal experience we had.

Room Tip: Any/All room are great there. I would be mindful though that if you are sharing a room and don'...